Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Restoration

1998 Firebird Formula

Restoration

I've just in-hearted a 1978 trans am with a the 405 engine and a 4 speed manual. the only problem is that she is in bad shape and need some work. so any sites that i can order parts from and and sites or manuals that i can use to restore the bird to its former glory. Right now it needs every thing: Paint, interior(everything) and some standard engine work. so any books on restoration would be great.

its short but its skinny. jiveass's Avatar

pewter
    99 trans am

1998 Firebird Formula

thanks i look into those sites and try and get some pics up.

1998 Firebird Formula

78 T/A
    78 T/A
    rear quarter panel
    rear quarter panel
    rear quarter panel
    rusted floor pan (surface rust only)

the first few pics are of my 78 T/A SE 4M

i need an idea on how to fix the rear quarter panel that has been so rusted that it broke free at the bottom, i dont want to take to the shop if i dont have to.
    the rusted floor pan is another problem i need an idea on, i need something i can put down after i get rid of the rust so that the floor pan will be protected.

2002 Z28 A4 NBM
    Sadly now demodded :(

Your car has a 4-speed? Are you sure it isn't a Pontiac 400cid engine? Does it have a W72 code? (I think it's W72 for the 400 engine).

1998 Firebird Formula

78 T/A
    78 T/A
    rusted rear quarter panel
    surface rusted floor pan

these are the pics above, first time didnt seem to work so here are the pics

1998 Firebird Formula

Quote Originally Posted by 67CamaroRSSS View Post
    Your car has a 4-speed? Are you sure it isn't a Pontiac 400cid engine? Does it have a W72 code? (I think it's W72 for the 400 engine).
    yeah! its a 4 speed i'm sure of it

2002 Z28 A4 NBM

The "W72" would be the code for a Pontiac 400 vs the Olds 403.

IIRC, an S/E makes it a Bandit Edition. Who did the T-tops? FYI: T-tops were done at 1 of 3 places: ASC, Hurst or Fischer (factory).

Couple of months ago a guy showed up at one of the local car shows with a 77 TA. It had only 3,200 miles on it. Still smelled new. Still had nubs on the original tires (original air for all I could tell). He bought it from the original owner about 6 months ago. Her husband bought the car, passed away in 1978 and she kept the car in a climate controlled garage. White exterior with the same saddle interior your car has. His car had leather interior with ASC T-tops. He paid ~$32k for it.

Black
    2002 Trans am WS6 pkg

I've seen worse man. She'll be a bad ride!

2002 Z28 A4 NBM

1 other question: Is it a WS6 also?

Navy Blue Metallic
    98 T/A w/ mods, 00 FBVert

Lucky for you man, I wish I was in your shoes. If you get tired of working on her send me a PM. I want one of these yrs so bad...Can find anything like yours in that condition without selling my body and soul and still take out a loan.

Pewter metallic
    2000 Camaro SS

Please don't post direct links to non sponsors

its short but its skinny. jiveass's Avatar

pewter
    99 trans am

Quote Originally Posted by Y2KPewterSS View Post
    Please don't post direct links to non sponsors
    sorry bout that sir....i didnt even think about that....do we have a sponsor that specializes in the older birds?

sold: 1999 firebird
    1998 Trans Am

too cool man! looks like a great project for a sunday cruiser, i'm a big fan of junkyard salvaging, but seeing your location you might not be able to find anything that isnt rust ridden..

as far as order of operation, before buying anything i would strip her nude, take out the dash, seats, interior panels, carpet, everything interiorwise, next the fenders and bumpers, you want everything exposed so you can truly see what your working with, then assess things you can reuse and things you cant, make a list and begin your bargain hunt!
    Last edited by justinmc978; 05-06-2010 at 10:49 AM.

Arctic White
    2000 Z28

Quote Originally Posted by justinmc978 View Post
    too cool man! looks like a great project for a sunday cruiser, i'm a big fan of junkyard salvaging, but seeing your location you might not be able to find anything that isnt rust ridden..

as far as order of operation, before buying anything i would strip her nude, take out the dash, seats, interior panels, carpet, everything interiorwise, next the fenders and bumpers, you want everything exposed so you can truly see what your working with, then assess things you can reuse and things you cant, make a list and begin your bargain hunt!
    In the since, strip it down to a bare chassis. Remove the front subframe and remove the rearend. I would then media blast it to bare metal. That way you know for sure what issues you have and what you need to repair/remove.

Pewter metallic
    2000 Camaro SS

Quote Originally Posted by needls1again View Post
    sorry bout that sir....i didnt even think about that....do we have a sponsor that specializes in the older birds?
    No problem

I looked through the sponsors and didn't see anyone that specializes in older/restoration type stuff.

You can mention the vendors publicly, just don't direct link to them

You can also PM the links you mentioned earlier to the OP if you like.

1998 Firebird Formula

Quote Originally Posted by justinmc978 View Post

yeah i have already striped the interior almost completely clean going to try and reuse most of the parts, but do you got any ideas on the rust problems or how to fix that rear quarter panel?

1998 Firebird Formula

Quote Originally Posted by 67CamaroRSSS View Post
    The "W72" would be the code for a Pontiac 400 vs the Olds 403.

IIRC, an S/E makes it a Bandit Edition. Who did the T-tops? FYI: T-tops were done at 1 of 3 places: ASC, Hurst or Fischer (factory).

Couple of months ago a guy showed up at one of the local car shows with a 77 TA. It had only 3,200 miles on it. Still smelled new. Still had nubs on the original tires (original air for all I could tell). He bought it from the original owner about 6 months ago. Her husband bought the car, passed away in 1978 and she kept the car in a climate controlled garage. White exterior with the same saddle interior your car has. His car had leather interior with ASC T-tops. He paid ~$32k for it.
    its got the "Y84" code making it the black and gold special edition with the 400 4 speed and no its not ws6 and its got the Fischer t-tops, i also do have the original saddle color leather seats that came with it but i decided not to use them because they are so worn, instead i have a pair of 80's S/E seats out a T/A with a custom interior on them, they look so good to in the car.

sold: 1999 firebird
    1998 Trans Am

Quote Originally Posted by 10erg01 View Post
    yeah i have already striped the interior almost completely clean going to try and reuse most of the parts, but do you got any ideas on the rust problems or how to fix that rear quarter panel?
    1) (preferred method) cut it all out, rent an english wheel, practice shaping, get good, shape a patch, weld it in.

2) pay a shop.

3) bondo.

Arctic White
    2000 Z28

Quote Originally Posted by 10erg01 View Post
    Find out how bad it is. You may need to replace the rear quarter panel. Several places make replacement quarter's. Again first find out how bad it is.

Thread Information