Replacing turn signal marker lamp

This is a discussion on Replacing turn signal marker lamp within the Firebird / WS6 forums, part of the Vehicle Specific category; Oh man, did i have fun replacing that sunuvabitch! Took awhile to realize I had to reach into the bumper ...

Black
    2000 Trans Am

Replacing turn signal marker lamp

Oh man, did i have fun replacing that sunuvabitch! Took awhile to realize I had to reach into the bumper to turn the socket and replace the light. After fighting to put the bulb in I realize that the bulb is orange whereas the other side is white...GRRR

Any tips to replacing the bulb?

Black
    99 Trans Am(sold)

I'm assuming you're talking about the front turn signals. When you said you reached into the bumber, did you go through one of the air intakes? Did you know there is a flap on the bottom held up by two bolts that gives you access?

Tip: If you find that you're having to replace a bulb after it rains. I would recommend pulling off the housing and sealing it as well as placing some bulb grease in the socket. Since I've done this to my front left. I haven't had any problems.

Pewter
    2000 WS6 A4

Before i added dielectric grease to my sockets I was changing bulbs all the time. If you reach your hand through the air intake you can reach the socket on the bottom of the housing. Turn it counter clockwise about 1 quarter of a turn, and it will pull out. It should have enough wire on it to pull out through the air intake to change the bulb....

Black
    2000 Trans Am

I did go through the air intake but I didn't have enough wire to pull it out. It felt tight when I pulled it so I didn't want to tear anything by pulling it harder so I changed the bulb with one hand inside the intake. I'm going to replace the other one so I have the same color on both sides as well as seal it with die electrice grease. Thanks for the tips!

Black
    99 Trans Am(sold)

Quote Originally Posted by tmartinez91084 View Post
    I did go through the air intake but I didn't have enough wire to pull it out. It felt tight when I pulled it so I didn't want to tear anything by pulling it harder so I changed the bulb with one hand inside the intake. I'm going to replace the other one so I have the same color on both sides as well as seal it with die electrice grease. Thanks for the tips!

Why are you guys reaching through the air intake? Do you not have the flap under the car that you can open. It's only held shut by two bolts. It's directly below the turn signals.

Pewter
    2000 WS6 A4

I would rather not have to get out tools for a job i can do by sticking my hand through a hole in 1/8 the time.

Black
    98 Trans Am

Quote Originally Posted by Thorazine Shuffle View Post
    I would rather not have to get out tools for a job i can do by sticking my hand through a hole in 1/8 the time.
    Yep...did mine through the intake yesterday. Saved me a lot of time, and I've got BIG-ass hands (size 14 ring size)!!

Navy Blue Metallic
    99 Formula M6

Its not that hard to get into, especially when u pop the headlight.

Thread Information