Navy Blue Metallic
    1998 Trans Am WS6

Replaced headlight motor, now a new problem...

Hey, all.

So, here's the story. I replaced the gear in my passenger headlight motor close to a year ago. But I did a less than satisfactory job and ended up having to replace the whole thing about a week ago. So I replaced the motor and it was working great.

Now we come to last night. I try to turn the headlights on, and the light doesn't come up and I just hear the motor grinding. Tried again and same deal.

Try to manually lift the light this morning, no deal. Seems to just kinda "skip" at a certain point, so I'm thinking it's jammed. Was a pain, but I got the headlight assembly loose.

As it came up, the part where it attaches to the arm that lifts it just falls off. I checked it out, and it's not a screw. Looks like it was in some kind of plastic sleeve, too. So, I don't know where to go from here. Not sure how to fix. Hoping you guys can shed some light (no pun intended). Some pics attached.

Thanks,

- MB

P.S. Motor works fine.

Click for full size

Click for full size

Click for full size

red
    2001 formula

If I remember my 01 Formula to raise the headlight up manually you have to turn the screw deal and they wind up from under the hood. Those Teflon sleeves go into the pivot point on the headlight door. If you unscrew the top headlight bezel and unscrew the top headlight dooryou will be able to see where the sleeves go.

Navy Blue Metallic
    1998 Trans Am WS6

I think I understand what you mean. But what do I do now? I assume I need to replace the sleeve, etc. but where would I get them? They couldn't help at Autozone and said I'd need to go to a dealership. Is that where I'm at now? Could I rig up something else to put there?

1999 Formula WS6 M6-sold
    2001 Silverado Z71

You should probably try the dealer to see if you can get that part individually. Otherwise head to a salvage yard and see if you can find one (somewhat unlikely, I know).

ʢ ൧ ൨ ൩ ൪ ൫ ൬ ൭ ൮Ր Ց Ւ Փ Smittro's Avatar

White
    2008 Hummer H3

looks like some kind of plastic "snap" collar. If there is a grove in the area you may try a washer or 2 (proper sized) and an "E" clip for a more reliable fix.. Somethings on our cars were engineered for quick line assembly not funtionality lol..
    Last edited by Smittro; 04-04-2010 at 06:19 PM.
    :\Users\Steven\Pictures\d6ftg5nh.gif

Suggestion: If you are particularly irritated by another member's posting habits and are constantly fighting the urge to flame them, you can click on that person's profile, and select "Add to ignore list." This will make that person's posts invisible to you.

Navy Blue Metallic
    1998 Trans Am WS6

Thanks for your input, everyone. My uncle is a mechanic and I was able to have him look at it yesterday. He rigged up a temporary fix by reusing the plastic peace (almost like a bushing or bearing) and wedged a snap on the other side to keep it all in place. Light goes up and down fine for now. I'll be getting a proper piece to secure it this week.

Thread Information