Removing Guage overlay

This is a discussion on Removing Guage overlay within the Firebird / WS6 forums, part of the Vehicle Specific category; I bought my ws6 about a week ago. The guy that I bought it off of said he put an ...

Removing Guage overlay

I bought my ws6 about a week ago. The guy that I bought it off of said he put an overlay on. How do I remove the overlay? And is it just the white parts?

Navy Blue
    2002 Trans Am WS6 Conv

Here is a good You Tube video on doing an overlay that will show you what you are up against with taking out the cluster and how the overlay was originally installed. He is actually swapping the overlay from a Camaro to a TA but it shows the process. Interesting info on making sure the gauge needles read the same afterward. Never heard of the technique he uses but I understand what he is trying to do. I've never done one myself so use and believe at your own risk.

This is another video with an overlay. Slightly different technique with the needles and cluster removal.

It is possible that you have the single gauge overlays like the WS6 Store sells but it is also possible you have a single piece like the original. If individual gauge stickers you will still need to break the cluster down to get to them and be very careful not to damage any needles. If a single piece, you will need a new overlay or used original overlay to replace it when you remove it.

Luck!
    Last edited by sjgreen6; 09-08-2015 at 03:46 PM.

Silver
    1999 Trans-Am, 2012 Sonic

I would be concerned with damaging the original one when you remove it. They are stick on and put on with soap spray to allow it to move to get the back lights lined up. Then they dry allowing the glue to take hold. I don't know what the original are made of and maybe come off just fine! But maybe not...Remove the bezel around the dash then pop the plastic cover, then needles and peel. Why are you removing? That was one thing I did that was definitely worth it.
    99 Trans Am, SLP Lid, Blackwing filter, smooth bellow, Ported TB, LS6 intake, Ws6 lower ram air box, OBX LT's, Magna Flow cat back, LS7 clutch, Tick MC, Hurst Shifter, Frost Tune, UMI SFC,LAC, STB, PB, Torq Arm, Super Hawk hood, Torq Thrust II, Kee Audio.
    Strange S60 4:10's, D&S Rotors, S/S Brake Lines.
    Nitto NT05R Track Tire's, 12.7 @ 108 / 1.82 60'
    Wish list.
    Coil overs, Heads & Cam

The speedo sticks

Navy Blue
    2002 Trans Am WS6 Conv

If you are going to peel off individual sticker type overlays you might want to warm them up just a bit with a heat gun on low or hairdryer before you try to peel. Might help loosen the glue and get a cleaner removal. Good luck!

Thread Information