Silver
    2002 Trans Am WS6

Removed muffler+left side on borla catback, pipe ends! bad??

Hey guys, i just finished removing the Borla muffler on my borla catback system (the muffler, including the entire driver side setup of my exhaust pipes). Since I removed the muffler, the pipe now ends under the gas tank (maybe heatguard i think). Is that dangerous or bad?? I don't feel like putting it back on immediately after all that work, so i might drive it around like that for a bit, but i'd like to know if thats bad for the car or dangerous in anyway before i do Any help is appreciated!!

Black & Blue
    '02 WS.6 / '07 Suburban

I don't see a problem running it like that.

NBM
    99 TA

I did the exact same setup with my borla today to get my watts link on (muffler needs to be moved back a few inches)...test drove it after the watts and it sounds way too loud of a drone (have H&C as well)...but just have to get the the exhaust shop tomorrow.
    But as far as I know, it should be ok, although neighbors might hate you.

I'm assuming you have an open plate for the right side? This would keep temps down under the gas tank/heat shield.
    Last edited by peterlawl84; 05-10-2011 at 08:20 PM.

Silver
    2002 Trans Am WS6

Quote Originally Posted by pajeff02 View Post
    I don't see a problem running it like that.
    Awesome man, thanks. Just wanted to be sure.

Quote Originally Posted by peterlawl84 View Post
    I did the exact same setup with my borla today to get my watts link on (muffler needs to be moved back a few inches)...test drove it after the watts and it sounds way too loud of a drone (have H&C as well)...but just have to get the the exhaust shop tomorrow.
    But as far as I know, it should be ok, although neighbors might hate you.

I'm assuming you have an open plate for the right side? This would keep temps down under the gas tank/heat shield.
    haha how ironic. Yeah my neighbors probably wont be so happy, but that's there fault for living next to me XD

Dude i noticed that, the Drone was terrible; everything in my car was vibrating and making noises, and my head was hurting a lil. yes my passanger side plate is completely open. I took off the borla because i think its too quiet, and wanted to play with no muffler for a lil. Since the pipe ended just behind the axle, the drone was just bad. I want a straight pipe setup so i can switch around everytime im bored, but i'm worried about what it'll do to the vibrations in the car and my hearing. The guy wants to do this type of setup:

Do you think the drone will be better after that, or it'll still be terrible? I realize its a stupid question, but im just curious if it'll be a lil better after having a pipe succesfully divert the exhaust fumes to the back

Silver
    2002 WS6 Trans Am

The problem I see is........ the carbon monoxide poisoning do you feel lucky
    there is a reason the exhaust exits the rear of the car. so you don't have it rise up
    into the cabin. maybe you might want to buy a carbon monoxide detector for your car. or maybe you want to buy a casket?

Black
    2000 WS6 6spd Hooker LT

Quote Originally Posted by Guerrillakilla13 View Post
    Awesome man, thanks. Just wanted to be sure.

haha how ironic. Yeah my neighbors probably wont be so happy, but that's there fault for living next to me XD

Dude i noticed that, the Drone was terrible; everything in my car was vibrating and making noises, and my head was hurting a lil. yes my passanger side plate is completely open. I took off the borla because i think its too quiet, and wanted to play with no muffler for a lil. Since the pipe ended just behind the axle, the drone was just bad. I want a straight pipe setup so i can switch around everytime im bored, but i'm worried about what it'll do to the vibrations in the car and my hearing. The guy wants to do this type of setup:

Click for full size

Do you think the drone will be better after that, or it'll still be terrible? I realize its a stupid question, but im just curious if it'll be a lil better after having a pipe succesfully divert the exhaust fumes to the back
    Yes it will be better sounding if you run it like that, out the back. It won't be as bad inside the car. But it will still be loud as hell!

And to GBurke, he isn't going to die. If so, how are all those people (myself included) still alive that run duals and dump it before the axle, on these F-bodies and all the other muscle cars that have done it the last 40 years?

Black & Blue
    '02 WS.6 / '07 Suburban

Quote Originally Posted by GBurke View Post
    The problem I see is........ the carbon monoxide poisoning do you feel lucky
    there is a reason the exhaust exits the rear of the car. so you don't have it rise up
    into the cabin. maybe you might want to buy a carbon monoxide detector for your car. or maybe you want to buy a casket?

Lots of cars dump the exhaust under the car in front of the rear axle. This setup is exiting behind the axle. Unless the OP is running the car in an enclosed space (which would be an issue no matter what the exhaust configuration) this is simply not a concern.

Black
    2002 M6 WS6

I don't see how that set up would be bad. Looks exactly like my magnaflow =P. I have like, zero drone in my car, granted LT's/ORY might change that. I'm not really sure. Guess I'll find out in a month or so =P
    2002 Black/Ebony M6 WS6: Lid, Filter, Smooth Bellow, P&P TB (!Bump Stop), Magnaflow Cat-Back (dumped after the axle), 4.10s, Hypertech ME Tune, eibach springs 4/4, LCA relocating brackets, PHB, free mods, 17" TTMs.

Black
    '98 Z28

Quote Originally Posted by Ant71130 View Post
    I don't see how that set up would be bad. Looks exactly like my magnaflow =P. I have like, zero drone in my car, granted LT's/ORY might change that. I'm not really sure. Guess I'll find out in a month or so =P
    I just added LTs and ORY to my Magnaflow system. I don't think I'd want a system any louder than it is. Course, I'm not going for obnoxious. It does sound mean though. It is noticeably louder than before.

NBM
    99 TA

Quote Originally Posted by Guerrillakilla13 View Post

Click for full size

From that pic, it seems like you would be having to fab up quite a bit, plus figure out how to hang everything.
    What all do you have done to the car currently and what are your future plans? Just wondering as to what you are considering "too quiet", I loved the sound of the wide open plate before when it was stock manifolds and then later LT's and Y, but after the H&C it was too loud when I was coming/leaving the neighborhood and attracting too many cops. I ended up putting an e-cutout in place of the adj plates so that you can control the sound while driving.

If you just want a louder sound than the wide open plate, you could put a cutout in the I-pipe before the axle
    Last edited by peterlawl84; 05-11-2011 at 02:22 PM. Reason: Pic added

Silver
    2002 WS6 Trans Am

Dude the first sign of carbon monoxide poisoning is a headache.
    these cars are hatch backs where the cabin is still behind the real axle.
    better to be safe than sorry. I would not like to be responsible for telling someone it is ok. when I know it isn't.

NBM
    99 TA

Dude the first sign of carbon monoxide poisoning is a headache.
    these cars are hatch backs where the cabin is still behind the real axle.
    better to be safe than sorry. I would not like to be responsible for telling someone it is ok. when I know it isn't.
    While CO poisoning does cause headaches, I was getting a headache within a few seconds of sitting in my car last night while idling. This would not be due to CO poisoning as it would be too soon. My heading was hurting due to everything shaking...like I mentioned, mine was so loud and rumbling that the my whole house was shaking and the frames on the walls upstairs were rattling.
    Now I am not stating this was the same in OP's case, but if you are not in an enclosed space idling for long amounts of time (ie: driving), the CO will dissipate. Many ppl run dumps or cut-outs before the axle and have never had CO poisoning, and while it does increase the chance of having more CO in the cabin, OP's set-up would not lead to any increase levels over before the axle dumps.
    Last edited by peterlawl84; 05-11-2011 at 03:37 PM.

Black & Blue
    '02 WS.6 / '07 Suburban

^^ Exactly.

Silver
    2002 WS6 Trans Am

no sense beating a dead horse. you got the muffler on now. nice job.
    just a note if your interested look at a car that has a trunk and see where the axles line up with the cabin then look at a hatchback and see where the axles line up with the cabin.
    and take note why you can do it on some cars and not on others.

Black
    2000 WS6 6spd Hooker LT

^^^exactly. Look at where the headers dump in any 60s muscle car, right under the drivers seat. And we are all still alive, nobody has had any CO poisoning from this. Now, here in Indy, there have been several deaths and illnesses from CO poisoning related to generators running all night while they've camped out for the Indy 500. Made headlines in the local paper even.

OP, don't worry about any possible CO poisoning. No matter where you dump the exhaust, even without convertors! If it were any sort of issue, where people actually got sick/headaches/died, it would be in the headlines and nobody would ever suggest doing such a thing lol.

NBM
    99 TA

no sense beating a dead horse. you got the muffler on now. nice job.
    just a note if your interested look at a car that has a trunk and see where the axles line up with the cabin then look at a hatchback and see where the axles line up with the cabin.
    and take note why you can do it on some cars and not on others.
    No sense in beating a dead horse yet you still are trying to convince OP about it. BTW, I never said I was planning on running it without a muffler, I just had it that way to get the watts link installed and then take it to the shop so that they could make sure the muffler cleared the watts link. And I was talking about fbodies running dumps.

Silver
    2002 Trans Am WS6

Awesome thanks guys. I'm gettin it straight piped on tuesday so i'll have a pipe leading out to the back soon. i dont know though, just out of instinct that whole dumped axle thing doesn't sound so great to me.

Black
    2000 WS6 6spd Hooker LT

^^^You prolly wouldn't like the sound. It would be loud as hell and reverberate in the car. At least out the back it should be manageable.

Black
    2001 Trans Am (sold)

My cutout is right under the passenger seat like most everybody elses, no cats either. I like to live on the edge. lol

Bat mobile black
    2000 Trans am WS6 M6

like said before the drone will be so bad and annoying. Ive done it once to see what it sounded like and i was so annoyed by it i drove it back home and put the catback right back on.

Thread Information