Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Reimbursement for pothole damage?

This is a discussion on Reimbursement for pothole damage? within the Firebird / WS6 forums, part of the Vehicle Specific category; In this day and age where nobody is honest, I can't see how people who run over a curb wouldn't ...

Blue/White
    00 TA/05 Legacy GT

In this day and age where nobody is honest, I can't see how people who run over a curb wouldn't try to find a pothole and then claim damage against it.

This doesn't sound like a city/government program that would work.

Sorry about your rims, though. That does suck. Good luck.

Drivin It Like I Stole It JWSmythe's Avatar

Silver
    '00 TransAm WS/6

Quote Originally Posted by 2000LS1Bird View Post
    In this day and age where nobody is honest, I can't see how people who run over a curb wouldn't try to find a pothole and then claim damage against it.

This doesn't sound like a city/government program that would work.

Sorry about your rims, though. That does suck. Good luck.
    I know exactly what you mean. If I was one of them, I'd blame the crack on my dash, and a sudden back pain on it too. Luckily, besides the rims and tires, all that got bruised was my ego. It seems some places are much better about it than others.

I was wide awake and sober, and all by myself on the road, which is what really sucked. If I had seen it, I could have swerved, done doughnuts, or whatever it would have taken to miss it. If I had been drinking ... well, if I had been drinking, there would have been a cop right behind me with his cuffs ready.

In digging around, I found county commission meetings about forming committee's to fix potholes, but nothing about repairs. In some areas, it's as simple as filling out a form online. I did find plenty of personal injury attorneys who have potholes listed in what they file for. There was also a news story about a guy on a motorcycle on the same road, who hit the pothole, and was thrown over the handlebars and into a telephone pole. His story was brief with a tragic ending.

Black
    2001 Trans Am (sold)

10 miles from home and you needed a gps? Good luck anyway.

Silver
    '00 TransAm WS/6

Quote Originally Posted by INMY01TA View Post
    10 miles from home and you needed a gps? Good luck anyway.
    For the past year or so, "home" has been rather inconsistent. Like, home is wherever my suitcase is that day. Most of the time, I only know a few major roads in the area, and that's it. It's a bit weird being stuck now, waiting for the rims to come in. My car has sat for over a week at the same place. It's probably the longest it hasn't been driven in years. It makes it more interesting when someone asks what my home address is though. I just give a friends house, that I can get mail at.

Blue
    09 Nissan Altima

An old friend of mine has/had a 96 Cobra (rare stock wheels) and damaged a couple of them on a pothole. He took to the city and told them they'd have to buy him a whole set of rims b/c they didn't make the stock 96 Cobra wheels anymore. They were just going to buy him a replacement but he fought it and they bought him a full set of 4 rims.

Silver
    '00 TransAm WS/6

Quote Originally Posted by chiller2484 View Post
    An old friend of mine has/had a 96 Cobra (rare stock wheels) and damaged a couple of them on a pothole. He took to the city and told them they'd have to buy him a whole set of rims b/c they didn't make the stock 96 Cobra wheels anymore. They were just going to buy him a replacement but he fought it and they bought him a full set of 4 rims.
    I'm still trying to find where to contact here. I'm pretty sure it was an unincorporated area, but I have to find the pothole that did it, which is hard. There are some bad spots in the road, but I have to get out and walk it to figure out which one did it. {sigh} Hopefully I'll see a dent the rim made.

Black
    2001 Trans Am (sold)

I've hit some potholes in my day, looks like you hit a curb to me.

Silver
    '00 TransAm WS/6

The damage was only on the inside edge of the rim. I haven't figured out how to hit a curb without hitting the outside edge first.

Black
    1999 trans am

since i read this post i have been swerving all over the roads to avoid pot holes ! I hope everything works out for you. One of my friends had the same thing happen but he never did anything about it.

Good luck

blacker than wesleysnipes
    98' trans am

i know in michigan at least...you are only liable for reimbursement if the road commission is aware of the pot hole before you hit it...so someone would have to have complained.

RED
    02 SS, 03 BMW 745

So any news from the claim?

Blackshirt Member SactownHuskers's Avatar

Black
    2001 Trans Am WS6 M6

Hate to say it but I think you maybe bent your rim a very little bit when you hit the pothole and then when driving home ended up creasing it real bad. I doubt you did that severe of damage on just contact. If your tires were flat already when you hit the pothole then it'd be possible I suppose. Assuming they weren't though, i'm thinking you might be S.O.L.... You would have felt a whole hell of a lot more than a little bump if you did all of that damage on impact. Maybe you'll get lucky though.

Silver
    '00 TransAm WS/6

Quote Originally Posted by SactownHuskers View Post
    I doubt you did that severe of damage on just contact. If your tires were flat already when you hit the pothole then it'd be possible I suppose. Assuming they weren't though, i'm thinking you might be S.O.L.... You would have felt a whole hell of a lot more than a little bump if you did all of that damage on impact.
    Nope, I'm sure they coincided. I felt a bump, and heard the woosh. Really if I hadn't been sitting there, I would have thought it was nuts too.

I've had some pretty harsh impacts in the past. In a past life, I've taken plenty of vehicles on and off road, and into many places that they weren't suppose to be. I've bent things and known exactly how stupid I was as I did it.

This one was nothing like some of the things I've done, where I was pretty sure I not only broke something serious, but I probably knocked a few teeth loose at the same time.

All I can attribute it to is the fact that these are low profile tires, and I was always running on some pretty thick rubber when I did those other things. My hellion days are well behind me. now I just like driving, knowing I'm in a nice car, and have the power to take an on ramp without getting creamed by the traffic I'm merging into.

Hell, after seeing the wheels, I expected to find something broken under there too. No other damage to be found. Not even a scuff from a curb, as some folks have suggested I could have hit. Ya, I looked. It was easy enough to look when I had it jacked up. Now, cruising a stretch of road between two known points, and trying to find a pothole that I didn't notice before I hit it. That's a bigger adventure.

Black
    2001 Pontiac WS6

Quote Originally Posted by cammed goat View Post
    You have the right to go to the town and give the location where the blowouts happened and request to be reimbursed.
    agreed. I just went to the local police station and filed a request to get reimbursed. You have to tell them exactly where the pothole was, what time etc.

Blackshirt Member SactownHuskers's Avatar

Black
    2001 Trans Am WS6 M6

I'll definitely be paying attention when I get the Trans Am out next. "Luckily," Nebraska is having record snowfalls and there is no chance of driving it anytime soon. However, the plows have opened up some nasty potholes. Spring will be interesting. I'll be sure to avoid any and all potholes!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information