Thread: Rebuild

Red
    1999 Trans Am ws.6

Rebuild

ok so i finally got my money saved up after along year of dreaming and talking...im finally starting my rebuild....any tips or pointers? and i plan on just re ringing the engine and putting in new bearings unless anything else is needed or looks bad...im also puttin on an ls6 intake and porting/polishing the heads...im looking to drop in a Trex cam(Thunder Racing TRx V.2 - 242/248 .608/.612 110lsa +2)car isnt really going to be a dd anymore even tho ill lend up drivin her anyway cus i cant get enough of it only on nice days...now i might flycut the pistons so i can mil the heads down a lil bit for a lil more compression what else should i change besides the regular cam parts like springs,rods....im new to internally moding an engine ant help would be nice.Also is there any other cam thatl give me a nice boost with an awsom idle?unless any of u think otherwise about the trex let me know...thanks in advance.

Black & Blue
    '02 WS.6 / '07 Suburban

After tear down get the thing measured up and check for ridges in the tops of the cylinder walls and see how your crosshatch looks. Stock block accepts a max overbore of .010" if I recall.

midnight blue
    2000 trans am

Good luck man, and dont go for the sound go for what will best suit your set up.

black
    '02 trans am ws6

Why flycut when you can save a bit more and get a set of dished pistons? If you're already rebuilding might as well do it once and do it right. If its gonna be a often strip/occasional street car the TRex will be ok, although I'd rather have a custom cam that's paired with your heads, intake, performance requirements, and even have the idle you desire.
    '02 ws6.....mods? nope

Red
    1999 Trans Am ws.6

Quote Originally Posted by '02 WS6 View Post
    Why flycut when you can save a bit more and get a set of dished pistons? If you're already rebuilding might as well do it once and do it right. If its gonna be a often strip/occasional street car the TRex will be ok, although I'd rather have a custom cam that's paired with your heads, intake, performance requirements, and even have the idle you desire.
    Yea I just recently started to drag but its more of a street car and I've been thinking the trex has a awsome idle but yes prob not the best choice for street,totally over looked the dished piston choice,and ill talk to my tuner see if he know of a good cam choice.

White
    1998 Trans Am

I have to agree with getting a cam made to work with your setup and what you want it for. Can talk to your tuner or call Comp Cams and they can probably set you a with a going that will five the the most power with tour setup while still making it a great driver. Stay away from thunder racing they have always either messed up my orders or it takes forever to finally get it. Either go with Texas speed or WS6store I know both of them can get you a custom cam. The off the shelf cams from Texas speed are pretty good.if.you are just doing a cam and stall like.me but with they setup tour building I think custom grind will be a better investment.
    1998 Trans Am 85k miles.
    Bolt ons, MS3 113LSA cam, Circle D Stall, Tune, Modified WS6 style hood, Full Suspension, 6000k HID's, Clear Side Markers w/ Leds, Led 3rd Brake Light and 18" AR Staggered Killer Wheels w/ BFG KDW NT's.- Weekend Toy/DD
    02 Trailblazer -Sold
    09 Ram 1500 CC - Sold
    09 Cobalt SS/TC - Sold
    13 ram 1500 LoneStar CC 4x4 - Magnaflow, K&N,and more to come-DD/Toy

Thread Information