Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree4Likes

This was a really bad day

This is a discussion on This was a really bad day within the Firebird / WS6 forums, part of the Vehicle Specific category; Originally Posted by Firebirdjones 2 interesting points. On the speed and redlight cameras I noticed an intresting change here. We ...

Cayanne
    98 Z28 Vert M6

Quote Originally Posted by Firebirdjones View Post
    2 interesting points. On the speed and redlight cameras I noticed an intresting change here. We also have (or had I should say) the speed photo cameras at various places too in our small town (surrounding towns don't have them). Even had the little speed camera mini vans they would park on the curb. All that did, once people knew where they were, was cause them to slam on the brakes for that short stretch, and then right back to speeding again. We rarely ever saw a patrol car anywhere. The lack of patrol cars is what disturbed me because other things go on unnoticed too, not just speeding. Last year we hired a new Police Chief who came in here from Texas. First thing he did was remove all the speed camera's, the mini van camera's were taken out of service, and now I see patrol cars everywhere, and actually pulling over speeders on a regular basis. Something I had not seen in several years. I'm glad to see them out and about now.

On the last point, I agree, and tailgating is a pet pieve of mine. Here in Arizona it's the worst I've seen. Our major highway speed limits are 75 but everyone goes 85+. I stay in the slow lane most of the time as I don't care to tangle with that mess. But you just can't get away from the tailgaters. At those speeds you can kiss your a$$ goodbye, especially going up and down the mountains. And that happens on a regular basis. Seems there is a death once a week out there. Even in town where I do most of my driving you get tailgated. What's mind boggling is that there are a line of cars on these 2 lane back roads and none of us can go anywhere, yet these people feel tailgating gets things moving faster? I haven't figured that one out yet. I've noticed it's worse here than it was in Ohio. Everyone out here drives like their a$$ is on fire, always in a hurry to get up to that last stop light or that clump of traffic ahead. 3 miles down the road, there they are again right in front of me at the next redlight. All that frantic driving and weaving in and out didn't get them anywhere.

Another one that bugs me here. In Arizona for some reason they have alot of lanes that disappear, whether on backroads or even on some of the major town roads. Usually happens right after a redlight that far right lane goes away with warning signs a 1/4 mile back at every instance. Yet I see these people all the time while I'm sitting at the light, they'll whip out into that lane at the last minute. They know the lane disappears in about 200 feet. It's obvious what they are going to do, when the green light drops they race around and try to get in front of everyone. Happens everywhere around town here. Usually 300 ft up they stop in front of you to turn which causes everyone they just passed to hit the brakes for them. It's a real pisser, these people in a hurry to get up there and turn and they inconvenience everyone else. Makes no sense.
    So after a few years of putting up with that, I now (even my wife does it now) make sure I'm gone at the green light at those instances, and I'll make those idiots work for it. The hole I make behind me, because the 2nd car is sleeping, is where these light beaters end up merging in. I watch them in the mirror. 2 blocks up the street sure enough, they stop and turn. In a hurry for nothing.
    Sometimes it's a pretty quick car and makes things fun We have a major 4 lane thoroughfare that's 50 mph, and deadends into the main highway. You either turn right or left. There are people always flying up in the left lane to be the front of the line, then cut you off in the right lane so they can turn right on the highway. You know the type. About 1/4 mile before the turnoff there is a redlight. I'm already in the right lane where I need to be (like everyone should be doing) and the light turns red. I'm in front. As the car behind me slows for the redlight, he whips over to the left lane before coming to a stop to be in front in the left lane. I already know exactly where this is going. Just so happens he's driving an SRT8 challenger. I'm in my wifes SS camaro. I told my wife to hold her drink because I'm making this idiot wish he didn't switch lanes. I take off easy keeping pace with him in 1st gear. 20 feet out he realizes I'm still there and nails it. Jumps a car in front but not enough to merge. I nail it, snap second, top of second I've pulled up along side, 3rd gear I'm starting to pull out front. At this point he realizes he's losing and running out of room to pass. He slams on the brakes and gets in behind, where he started in the first place.
    Most cases now though when on the slower back roads, I know where these right lanes disappear on these 3 lane roads. Rather than be in the middle lane where you have to deal with the idiots beating everyone, I just ride in the far left lane until I'm passed those points, then merge back into what has now become the only right lane. I just don't want to deal with these people anymore. It's gotten to the point where pleasure driving is no longer any fun.
    FBJ,
    I know exactly what you mean. I have resorted to using my Z to out accelerate all the "cluster junkies" (I like to call them) so that there is a hole behind me (like you said). I also find that, despite the fact that AZ drivers are all idiots who insist on "being in front," there is no escaping that one dude (often an out-of-towner from CA or some such) who just MUST go 8 or 9 under in the left lane, and then clogs up the whole freeway.

I find myself on a constant search for "freedom" as I make my commute to work in Tonopah every day (gotta get past all the nonsense clusters of people constantly moving into and blocking my escape route). Once I have room to breath, I hit the cruise control to match the speed of traffic that is well ahead of me and relax.

On more than one occasion, the LS1 has prevented me from having to deal with certain nuisances on the road.
    Lid, Throttle Body, LS6 Intake, Heads, Cam, Magnaflow, LS7 Clutch, SFCs, STB, Panhard Bar, Strano Springs, Hollow Sway Bars, Poly/Roto LCAs, Konis, MGW Shifter

Yep I've seen the really slow in the fast lane before. Mostly I see that on 89A or 69 up here which are 4 lane highways with 65 mph limits once out of town. Doesn't seem to be too big of a deal up here though.

I don't see it much on I-17 where it's 75 mph. Most all the time everyone is going 80-85+ out there, so I put cruise on 70 and just stay in the right lane and let everyone go around. Fast enough for me. But I keep my I-17 adventures to a bare minimum, I just don't care for the major highways. I stick to the back roads as much as possible.

Super Moderator

Black & Blue
    '02 WS.6 / '07 Suburban

No way in heck I would consider going anything more than 5 mph over the speed limit in Arizona!

Black
    2002 WS6 Trans Am

Quote Originally Posted by Naaman View Post
    I see you were on Goodyear Eagles... My car came with those when I bought it. I couldn't, for the life of me, get that thing to launch straight in 1st gear. Always wanted to kick the right rear out. Is that how you lost control? Having too much fun?

I've since switched to Michelins and haven't looked back.
    Well I made a quick abrasive move just at the top of an interchange so the suspension lifted just as I did so. I started sliding one way, then it whipped around another way, which happened to be into a wall on the freeway. It happened really fast and was quite a while ago, so the details aren't as clear as they used to be.

No launching for me these days. Just slow and easy, with the occasional blip when needed.

Super Moderator

Black & Blue
    '02 WS.6 / '07 Suburban

Every now and then, even an "occasional blip" can end up with smoke and sideways. Must be our blips are a bit more fun out East...

Black
    2002 WS6 Trans Am

Quote Originally Posted by pajeff02 View Post
    Every now and then, even an "occasional blip" can end up with smoke and sideways. Must be our blips are a bit more fun out East...
    ha! My "blips" are in 6th gear on the freeway to get around some doof camping in the left lane doing 64mph. If I'm feeling extra spunky, I'll maaayybbeeee put it down in 5th to hear the exhaust rumble, but like I said.. "maaaybeeee"

Black
    2002 WS6 Trans Am

Oh, and you guys can actually put fun things in your car. Out here in CA, basically everything is illegal if you want a street legal vehicle.

Super Moderator

Black & Blue
    '02 WS.6 / '07 Suburban

You got that right -- California would not like me or my cars.
    SMWS6TA likes this.

No way in heck I would consider going anything more than 5 mph over the speed limit in Arizona!
    That's been my rule anywhere I live or drive. Never been pulled over with that mind set. I figure 5 is enough over the posted limit if I'm in a hurry.

Not only tickets to worry about, but high speeds when something happens almost always increases the problem expodentially.

I blew a left front tire at 70 mph on the freeway last year (speed limit is 75). Thankfully I wasn't going faster, like 85+ most people do out there, otherwise that would have been an instant death sentence.
    I had cars all around me, the wheel tried to rip out of my hands. It was all I could do to keep the truck in my lane and under control without hitting someone or rolling it. Too much faster and I likely wouldn't be here right now. Yet people fly along oblivious to what might happen. And with the state of repair most cars are in, and as cheap as some people are about fixing them, makes the issue worse.
    Last edited by Firebirdjones; 01-26-2015 at 02:46 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Capt Pie View Post
    Oh, and you guys can actually put fun things in your car. Out here in CA, basically everything is illegal if you want a street legal vehicle.
    That's why my butt don't live over there in that communist state I have family over there (wife born and raised) Arizona or Nevada is as close as I cared to get, I can drive the rest of the way to visit.

Cayanne
    98 Z28 Vert M6

Quote Originally Posted by Firebirdjones View Post
    That's why my butt don't live over there in that communist state I have family over there (wife born and raised) Arizona or Nevada is as close as I cared to get, I can drive the rest of the way to visit.
    Im from LA, myself. I hate going back there anymore....

I hear that alot from the transplants that have come over here to AZ. I've never lived there myself but I knew from family living there, all the tree hugging things and emissions tests, drag strips drying up, and all the things I read, I knew I didn't want to park my butt in that state.
    Hearing all the comments from people that lived there like yourself over the last few years pretty much confirms what I've thought all along. Even my wife with family over there had no interest in going back to that state.

Cayanne
    98 Z28 Vert M6

Yup. My family is over there, too. So is my wife's family. Some Thanksgivings and Christmases is about as often as I like to go out there. And they are in the nice parts, by the beach, too. Just not worth it, though. Not to mention cost of living. You have to be rich just to be poor in California (well, the major cities, anyway).

Our family is up in the Sac area, Rio Linda to be exact. Although the capital, it's not nearly as bad as Southern Cal and the LA area. Moved there in the early 1930's during the great depression and been there ever since, in the same house even. Back then, and even up through the 1980's and 90's alot of that area was still farming and rice fields, crop dusting with planes etc.... Visiting over the last 20 something years I see how construction has taken over most of that and the farm land has all but disappeared. It's just not what it used to be. It went from country life to big city life. I don't much care to visit it anymore.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information