Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Black
    2002 WS6 Trans Am

This was a really bad day

Cue up November 2006. Just got done eating late at Denny's with some friends. Jumped on the freeway. I lost control of the car, and went into a concrete wall on the freeway interchange. Was then T-boned by a driver without insurance and a revoked license. She was my first. No drugs or alcohol involved.

Silver & Blue
    02 Camaro SS, 04 GTO

You're lucky to be alive. As for the girl without insurance I feel your pain. I was hit twice by people without any insurance. Cars, as much as we love them are just metal and plastic. Thank God you're still here and able to buy another car. JMO
    My ride is a 2002 Camaro SS SLP #3296 with 30k, LTH, 3" Y, CME, Frost tune, K&N, ported TB, Blackwing lid, Bellows, MSD, Denso Iridium, and 85mm MAF, Bilsteins, Eibach springs, SLP strut brace, Adj. Panhard, TA Girdle, UMI, Pro 5.0, Nitto NT555
    My wife has a 2004 GTO with the rare SAP, 18" wheels, K&N Cold Air System, MSD, Ported TB, Frost tune, Denso Iridium, Flowmaster cat-back, 3200 Yank, 75k

Black & Blue
    '02 WS.6 / '07 Suburban

Ouch. People need to carry both uninsured and underinsured motorists coverage on their policies. That is what protects YOU if you are injured through someone else's negligence and that party has either shit coverage or no coverage at all.

Lucky you're still here. No sympathy for tangling with an uninsured motorist from me though. Sounds like your the one that got in her way Even if she had insurance she wouldn't have had to pay a dime anyway since the accident wasn't her fault.

Black
    2002 WS6 Trans Am

Quote Originally Posted by pajeff02 View Post
    Ouch. People need to carry both uninsured and underinsured motorists coverage on their policies. That is what protects YOU if you are injured through someone else's negligence and that party has either shit coverage or no coverage at all.
    I've always carried full coverage and uninsured motorists. It has saved me a couple times. I've been rear ended at a dead stop twice now in my truck. Traffic stopped, and I just see a truck coming at me and I have no where to go.

Quote Originally Posted by Firebirdjones View Post
    Lucky you're still here. No sympathy for tangling with an uninsured motorist from me though. Sounds like your the one that got in her way Even if she had insurance she wouldn't have had to pay a dime anyway since the accident wasn't her fault.
    The police report sighted him (I said her referring to my car) at fault for the collision. Witnesses said he was accelerating at a high speed towards the car in the fast lane. The driver himself even stated he wasn't paying attention and didn't even hit the brakes. Est speed was 70+ MPH. On the police report, it was written as "At fault - failure to look out / attention to road conditions"

But ya, I am very VERY lucky on that one. Was able to walk away.

Do I understand this right? You spun yourself out, wound up in flowing or on coming traffic, and someone else was sighted for hitting you?? After you spun out and ended up in front of them?? That's pretty screwed up. You should have gotten "failure to maintain control" with no one else at fault but yourself.

Even if the guy WAS paying attention, at highway speeds there is likely nothing he could have done anyway if you slid up in front of him. Very odd he got a ticket. That's like saying someone crossed the center and came into my lane and hit me, but I get the ticket for not paying attention???

There has to be more to it that I'm not grasping here.

Black
    2002 WS6 Trans Am

Do I understand this right? You spun yourself out, wound up in flowing or on coming traffic, and someone else was sighted for hitting you?? After you spun out and ended up in front of them?? That's pretty screwed up. You should have gotten "failure to maintain control" with no one else at fault but yourself.

Even if the guy WAS paying attention, at highway speeds there is likely nothing he could have done anyway if you slid up in front of him. Very odd he got a ticket. That's like saying someone crossed the center and came into my lane and hit me, but I get the ticket for not paying attention???

There has to be more to it that I'm not grasping here.
    I wrote out a reply but it didn't post, so I'll try to re-write.

There was a considerable amount of time between both accidents. By the time he hit me, I was already lit up with flares and those reflective triangle things you put on the road. He had plenty of time to stop / slow, or avoid the accident. But because he admitted he wasn't even paying attention, he was sighted to be at fault for the collision between both of us. It would be different if it happened right in front of him.

It would be the same if you were driving down the road and there was a vehicle stopped in a lane way ahead of you for whatever reason. If you just plow into him, that's your fault. Especially if you were accelerating towards it and not paying attention.

Don't get me wrong, I took the full responsibility for the first accident. But if you crash into a vehicle that has been stopped on the freeway and you have ample time to slow stop or avoid, it's going to be your fault for hitting it you aren't paying attention.

Quote Originally Posted by Capt Pie View Post
    I wrote out a reply but it didn't post, so I'll try to re-write.

There was a considerable amount of time between both accidents. By the time he hit me, I was already lit up with flares and those reflective triangle things you put on the road. He had plenty of time to stop / slow, or avoid the accident. But because he admitted he wasn't even paying attention, he was sighted to be at fault for the collision between both of us. It would be different if it happened right in front of him.

It would be the same if you were driving down the road and there was a vehicle stopped in a lane way ahead of you for whatever reason. If you just plow into him, that's your fault. Especially if you were accelerating towards it and not paying attention.

Don't get me wrong, I took the full responsibility for the first accident. But if you crash into a vehicle that has been stopped on the freeway and you have ample time to slow stop or avoid, it's going to be your fault for hitting it you aren't paying attention.
    Ah gotcha. Didn't know you were already stopped with flares. That's an important little piece of information that wasn't in the first post It appeared you were still spinning into traffic when you mentioned you were T-boned.

I see what you're saying now.

Black
    2002 WS6 Trans Am

Ah gotcha. Didn't know you were already stopped with flares. That's an important little piece of information that wasn't in the first post It appeared you were still spinning into traffic when you mentioned you were T-boned.

I see what you're saying now.
    Oh man that would be totally EF'ed up if I was still mid yard-sale and he hit me, and he got in trouble for it.

Navy Blue Metallic
    98 T/A w/ mods, 00 FBVert

Last Nov & Dec was a bad few weeks for me. First I get plowed by a full size van in my son's Blazer. He hit so hard it broke the axle shaft. Completely totaled. Next 6 weeks later, on my way to work in a bad rain storm, this A-hole crosses 3 lanes of traffic to make it to this exit without looking, cuts me off and because of reflects I jerk the wheel and tapped the brakes (Yes I know I shouldn't have but did so) ended up in a few 360* spins, just as I regain control the rear tires bit into the shoulder and whipped me head on into the concrete wall. A-hole continues to drive off. Lucky for me their were witnesses that stayed for the cops.

I have full coverage on all vehicles, even the bird as it sits in the garage on jack stands. Never know when a tree will fall in. What really sucks donkey balls is all vehicles were paid off. Was enjoying for the first time ever no car notes to pay. Now I have one again

Black
    2002 WS6 Trans Am

Quote Originally Posted by SMWS6TA View Post
    Last Nov & Dec was a bad few weeks for me. First I get plowed by a full size van in my son's Blazer. He hit so hard it broke the axle shaft. Completely totaled. Next 6 weeks later, on my way to work in a bad rain storm, this A-hole crosses 3 lanes of traffic to make it to this exit without looking, cuts me off and because of reflects I jerk the wheel and tapped the brakes (Yes I know I shouldn't have but did so) ended up in a few 360* spins, just as I regain control the rear tires bit into the shoulder and whipped me head on into the concrete wall. A-hole continues to drive off. Lucky for me their were witnesses that stayed for the cops.

I have full coverage on all vehicles, even the bird as it sits in the garage on jack stands. Never know when a tree will fall in.
    Dude! When it rains, it pours. Sometimes we go over things in our heads playing the "what if" game, but sometimes when it actually happens, instincts kick in and we curse ourselves later over it. I'm glad you're okay, but I'm sorry about your rides!

I commute A LOT. I ended up mounting a GoPro on my windshield / dash now so if someone does something like that I at least have a shot at getting a plate number, and video proof for insurance to show it wasn't my fault.

Also, having a camera running at all times helps me be more aware knowing that If I do something stupid, it's gonna be on camera.

Here's to 2015! I hope you get a nice replacement ride and get all your 360 freeway spins out of your system

Navy Blue Metallic
    98 T/A w/ mods, 00 FBVert

Got a loaded 06' Darango w/Hemi & complete towing package. Bonus wife loves it too.

For my son picked up a 05' Grand Prix for $2000, invest another $1500 for a rebuilt transmission. He likes it, more importantly he's paid for over half the repairs.

Nothing you can do about the other idiots unfortunately. They are everywhere. Part of the reason some of my stuff doesn't see the light of day very often. Usually for a short trip for fresh gas is about it, late at night, with less traffic. The pleasure driving has become less and less over the years as I see more and more idiots on the road.

Some states are worse than others. Wasn't too bad living back East in Ohio, but now these AZ drivers are some of the worst I've seen. Cali is no different, I hate going over there too.

Black & Blue
    '02 WS.6 / '07 Suburban

Idiots is why I have a job. Well, at least 85% of my job.

Quote Originally Posted by pajeff02 View Post
    Idiots is why I have a job. Well, at least 85% of my job.
    If that's the case Jeff, then I'd say you have alot of job security as I see no lack of idiots in the foreseeable future

Silver
    '02 Trans Am WS-6, 6M

If that's the case Jeff, then I'd say you have alot of job security as I see no lack of idiots in the foreseeable future
    Yeah, I've been a victum of the idiots out there. I have been rear ended no less than 5 times, all of them when I was sitting at a red light. Two of them in the current T/A, the latest was just before Christmas (back and neck still aching from that one). Luckily the painter at the body shop did a perfect job on the paint, cant tell it was ever repainted.

My 89 T/A that I owned bad a LX470 back over it bumper cover and they kept going until it went over the hood. I was in lime at the ATM and the Lexus lady got tired of waiting so she backed up to turn out. She said that she kept backing up because she thought I was a speed bump (her vehicle had rearview camera as a standard feature btw).

Towards the end of working in the car biz, I was dropping off Christmas cookies to my best B2B customers in the company Tundra, when I was stopped at a light and a lady in a Taurus plowed into the back of the truck at about 40 mph. She hit the brakes at the last second and brought her nose down, missing the bumper and hitting the axle destroying it.

I think the reason why idiots are on rise, at least in my area is that the govts are enforcing laws by all of the speed/red light cameras and have less patrol cars on the road. The "enforcement" is static and they know where it is, so they dont pay attention to their surroundings anymore. Cops arent out there handing out tix for not using turn signals or tailgating either. Drivers have gotten really lazy and more obnoxious because of the way things are.

The tailgating gets me the worst (forobvious reasons). I'm getting tailgated at less than two car lengths by people, no matter which lane I am in and theres not any room to pull into another lane ( because most everyone else is tailgating). Its not like these people will go any faster if I was to pull off, the several people in front of me are moving at the same speed. I am at the point where commuting to and from work giant stresser. Pretty sad how bad people have become.

BLACK
    1998 PONTIAC TA

I know exactly what your saying Whamhammer about the crazy tailgating and excessive speed. Especially on I695 and I95 "raceway". I had no idea that these roads were actually where the Daytona 500 takes place. All this time I thought it was in Florida. LOL The only way I have found to avoid most of my stress, is to maintain an extra cushion of space in front of me. That way I have extra space to slow down when dumb dumbs's slam on their brakes, I can ease on the brakes to give the dumb dumb behind me more room to stop. I also tap my brakes 3 times to give extra warning that I'am slowing down. You can only control your car and not the people around you, so defensive driving is the only option.

Quote Originally Posted by Whamhammer View Post
    I think the reason why idiots are on rise, at least in my area is that the govts are enforcing laws by all of the speed/red light cameras and have less patrol cars on the road. The "enforcement" is static and they know where it is, so they dont pay attention to their surroundings anymore. Cops arent out there handing out tix for not using turn signals or tailgating either. Drivers have gotten really lazy and more obnoxious because of the way things are.

The tailgating gets me the worst (forobvious reasons). I'm getting tailgated at less than two car lengths by people, no matter which lane I am in and theres not any room to pull into another lane ( because most everyone else is tailgating). Its not like these people will go any faster if I was to pull off, the several people in front of me are moving at the same speed. I am at the point where commuting to and from work giant stresser. Pretty sad how bad people have become.
    2 interesting points. On the speed and redlight cameras I noticed an intresting change here. We also have (or had I should say) the speed photo cameras at various places too in our small town (surrounding towns don't have them). Even had the little speed camera mini vans they would park on the curb. All that did, once people knew where they were, was cause them to slam on the brakes for that short stretch, and then right back to speeding again. We rarely ever saw a patrol car anywhere. The lack of patrol cars is what disturbed me because other things go on unnoticed too, not just speeding. Last year we hired a new Police Chief who came in here from Texas. First thing he did was remove all the speed camera's, the mini van camera's were taken out of service, and now I see patrol cars everywhere, and actually pulling over speeders on a regular basis. Something I had not seen in several years. I'm glad to see them out and about now.

On the last point, I agree, and tailgating is a pet pieve of mine. Here in Arizona it's the worst I've seen. Our major highway speed limits are 75 but everyone goes 85+. I stay in the slow lane most of the time as I don't care to tangle with that mess. But you just can't get away from the tailgaters. At those speeds you can kiss your a$$ goodbye, especially going up and down the mountains. And that happens on a regular basis. Seems there is a death once a week out there. Even in town where I do most of my driving you get tailgated. What's mind boggling is that there are a line of cars on these 2 lane back roads and none of us can go anywhere, yet these people feel tailgating gets things moving faster? I haven't figured that one out yet. I've noticed it's worse here than it was in Ohio. Everyone out here drives like their a$$ is on fire, always in a hurry to get up to that last stop light or that clump of traffic ahead. 3 miles down the road, there they are again right in front of me at the next redlight. All that frantic driving and weaving in and out didn't get them anywhere.

Another one that bugs me here. In Arizona for some reason they have alot of lanes that disappear, whether on backroads or even on some of the major town roads. Usually happens right after a redlight that far right lane goes away with warning signs a 1/4 mile back at every instance. Yet I see these people all the time while I'm sitting at the light, they'll whip out into that lane at the last minute. They know the lane disappears in about 200 feet. It's obvious what they are going to do, when the green light drops they race around and try to get in front of everyone. Happens everywhere around town here. Usually 300 ft up they stop in front of you to turn which causes everyone they just passed to hit the brakes for them. It's a real pisser, these people in a hurry to get up there and turn and they inconvenience everyone else. Makes no sense.
    So after a few years of putting up with that, I now (even my wife does it now) make sure I'm gone at the green light at those instances, and I'll make those idiots work for it. The hole I make behind me, because the 2nd car is sleeping, is where these light beaters end up merging in. I watch them in the mirror. 2 blocks up the street sure enough, they stop and turn. In a hurry for nothing.
    Sometimes it's a pretty quick car and makes things fun We have a major 4 lane thoroughfare that's 50 mph, and deadends into the main highway. You either turn right or left. There are people always flying up in the left lane to be the front of the line, then cut you off in the right lane so they can turn right on the highway. You know the type. About 1/4 mile before the turnoff there is a redlight. I'm already in the right lane where I need to be (like everyone should be doing) and the light turns red. I'm in front. As the car behind me slows for the redlight, he whips over to the left lane before coming to a stop to be in front in the left lane. I already know exactly where this is going. Just so happens he's driving an SRT8 challenger. I'm in my wifes SS camaro. I told my wife to hold her drink because I'm making this idiot wish he didn't switch lanes. I take off easy keeping pace with him in 1st gear. 20 feet out he realizes I'm still there and nails it. Jumps a car in front but not enough to merge. I nail it, snap second, top of second I've pulled up along side, 3rd gear I'm starting to pull out front. At this point he realizes he's losing and running out of room to pass. He slams on the brakes and gets in behind, where he started in the first place.
    Most cases now though when on the slower back roads, I know where these right lanes disappear on these 3 lane roads. Rather than be in the middle lane where you have to deal with the idiots beating everyone, I just ride in the far left lane until I'm passed those points, then merge back into what has now become the only right lane. I just don't want to deal with these people anymore. It's gotten to the point where pleasure driving is no longer any fun.
    Last edited by Firebirdjones; 01-24-2015 at 07:31 AM.

Silver & Blue
    02 Camaro SS, 04 GTO

Quote Originally Posted by SMWS6TA View Post

I have full coverage on all vehicles, even the bird as it sits in the garage on jack stands. Never know when a tree will fall in. What really sucks donkey balls is all vehicles were paid off. Was enjoying for the first time ever no car notes to pay. Now I have one again
    I hear you. My first new car was a 1987 Toyota FX16-GTS, loaded. I drove it for four year and the week I paid it off some asshole in a stolen Z28 plows through a red light and T-Bones me. I was lucky to have some minor cuts and scrapes but my metallic black beauty was a total loss.Mr. Asshole ran away from the accident and I never found out if they caught him. I got the title from the bank the very next day.

Cayanne
    98 Z28 Vert M6

Quote Originally Posted by Capt Pie View Post
    Cue up November 2006. Just got done eating late at Denny's with some friends. Jumped on the freeway. I lost control of the car, and went into a concrete wall on the freeway interchange. Was then T-boned by a driver without insurance and a revoked license. She was my first. No drugs or alcohol involved.

Click for full size
    I see you were on Goodyear Eagles... My car came with those when I bought it. I couldn't, for the life of me, get that thing to launch straight in 1st gear. Always wanted to kick the right rear out. Is that how you lost control? Having too much fun?

I've since switched to Michelins and haven't looked back.
    Lid, Throttle Body, LS6 Intake, Heads, Cam, Magnaflow, LS7 Clutch, SFCs, STB, Panhard Bar, Strano Springs, Hollow Sway Bars, Poly/Roto LCAs, Konis, MGW Shifter

Thread Information