Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Real ws6?

This is a discussion on Real ws6? within the Firebird / WS6 forums, part of the Vehicle Specific category; The skip shift light is in the dash, we called a dealer and had them run the vin and it ...

NBM
    1999 Formula ws6

The skip shift light is in the dash, we called a dealer and had them run the vin and it came back as a auto. The guy that has it is sayen that it may have been at the plant and started production as an auto but a order came in for a 6 so they took that car and insted made it a stick. Is this posable? we called gm but they wont be able to get back to us until monday

sold: 1999 firebird
    1998 Trans Am

Quote Originally Posted by bouigha123 View Post
    The guy that has it is sayen that it may have been at the plant and started production as an auto but a order came in for a 6 so they took that car and insted made it a stick. Is this posable?
    oh boy this seller would have lost all credablity with me, I won't say hes lying, because anything is possible I guess, but I have never, ever, heard of such a thing, where a dealership would swap a manual in for an auto.

more than likely the transmission was just swapped out by an owner, I know a few cars running running around here that have had that done.
    Last edited by justinmc978; 03-26-2011 at 12:37 PM.

NBM
    1999 Formula ws6

Yea thats what my father said we were about to leave to buy the car, almost dident even run the vin to check if it was a real ws6 but i said we should just to be sure, he saw that it was a auto and we dident even go back to see it

1998 Trans Am

Yea thats what my father said we were about to leave to buy the car, almost dident even run the vin to check if it was a real ws6 but i said we should just to be sure, he saw that it was a auto and we dident even go back to see it
    check out post #8 in this thread, told you so

Visualize°Design°Create SSwt00SS's Avatar

'12 Silver SS 1SS
    '00 Black SS #8617

honestly, i would pass on this particular car. if you are about to get ito the f-body scene, don't start with a car that has had previous issues, with major missing parts, etc. it will only sour the experience.

if you have been saving for 3+ yrs, don't cave in and get this car, regardless if car has been reconditioned to it's hopeful previous state.

certain things should raise flags, you're first post tells me all i need to know to walk away from it and invest my time and money in a better car and a better deal, if i was in your position.

regardless, good luck in your car search. my one piece of advice: don't settle, make sure what cars you look at, meet all the criteria you are looking for in/out of it!

'12 Silver SS 1SS
    '00 Black SS #8617

also, i have to say, i'm disappointed that no one else has spoken up to say that you should pass on this car. again, just my opinoin, but you shouldn't get caught up in the fact if the car is a Ws6 or not. sure it's important, but the real priority is making sure its reliable and problem free.

you should KBB the car to get the idea of the true value of the car as a bargining start point. then you will have to put more money into it, to address what still needs to be fixed (based off your post #10). you won't get that money back out of the car. im just saying be cautious. if it doesn't feel right, move on to the next one. there are a lot of these cars still out there.

1999 Formula WS6 M6-sold
    2001 Silverado Z71

something doesn't feel right to me either. It might turn out ok but......

Black
    BLK TA modded 12.2@113mph

Not really

So the car was repainted, and the door sticker with the repo codes was sprayed with degreaser and has no codes on it, how hard is it to get a new one? Is it to much of a gamble to buy a car when you dont know if its a real ws6? can i check the vin and see if its a ws6?
    Everybody changes the shocks and the intake so why would a real WS6 be such an issue I usually recommend to buy a car that is in great shape and ususally u save enough on a non WS6 and then make it your own That;s what I did and love my ride unless your a collector or having a code sayong it's a real WS6 makes a big difference to you Bottom line besides the hood the air boxe and the dront sway bar It's basically the same car My buddy has a WS6 and mine wasn't and at the track stock for stock I ran a 13.4 and he ran a 13.34 pretty darn close to me and that was actually with both of us a lid and cat back mine Flowmaster his SLP Loudmouth

I just the shocks WS9 hood that turned out great after a great bodyman did the work LCA ,PHB,relocation bracket ,also doing front amd back hollow sway bars Yank ss3200 torque converter with TCI flexplate exhaust lid etc and I am still lower than what I would of paid a ws6 around here anyway but it's all a choice. Good luck!
    Last edited by Durango; 03-26-2011 at 05:18 PM.

NBM
    1999 Formula ws6

The car has a color full past, it was hidden in the woods so the bank couldent repo it, was then striped and the guy said ok come get, dident think they would but they did. The guy that has it now bought a recked car, swaped over the interior, trans, hood, and wheels. The paint and interior look great, and the car runs strong. when we put it up on the lift is when you could see the age of the car, it dident look any worse than youd imagine a 12 year old car would. What would a transmission swap from the auto to a 6 speed do to the value of the car? Today and in the future when the cars would begin to apreciate. (I know second gens are just starting to apreciate and that its a long way off)

1998 Trans Am

The car has a color full past, it was hidden in the woods so the bank couldent repo it, was then striped and the guy said ok come get, dident think they would but they did. The guy that has it now bought a recked car, swaped over the interior, trans, hood, and wheels. The paint and interior look great, and the car runs strong. when we put it up on the lift is when you could see the age of the car, it dident look any worse than youd imagine a 12 year old car would. What would a transmission swap from the auto to a 6 speed do to the value of the car? Today and in the future when the cars would begin to apreciate. (I know second gens are just starting to apreciate and that its a long way off)
    don't worry about appriciation. unless the car has low miles, is matching numbers (original motor, trans and rear end.) and is basically a garage baby, it wont be worth anymore later than it is now.

buying these cars as an investment with the intention of it being a 'collectors item' is utterly foolish. only the rarest of the rare ('99 30th anniv editions/blackbirds/firehawks/etc) MIGHT have a chance of beating inflation and being worth more later.

04 Cobra 'vert - M6 mysti
    02 WS6 coupe - A4 red

Quote Originally Posted by justinmc978 View Post
    buying these cars as an investment with the intention of it being a 'collectors item' is utterly foolish. only the rarest of the rare ('99 30th anniv editions/blackbirds/firehawks/etc) MIGHT have a chance of beating inflation and being worth more later.
    Yeah, I've never understood why someone would buy a car as an investment item. Buy a brick of gold and throw it in a corner. That will gain value more reliably, and require less time and effort and space to maintain. If you're a car restoration guy, and you restore junked cars, that's one thing. But otherwise. you buy cars to drive, and you just have to expect them to lose value.

Silver
    1999 Camaro SS

Just my opinion here but if it were me I would be taking my $10K and looking for something with a bit less colorful history...there are nice cars out there in every flavor from stock to every imagineable mod.

NBM
    1999 Formula ws6

but what would it do to the value of it now?

Black
    2001 Trans Am (sold)

I'd buy this car if the price were right. Would def have to be cheaper tho.

NBM
    1999 Formula ws6

Blue book for my area in good condition is 10 and the pictures dont do the car any justice it looks amazing, but it does need a lil work its gona need 2 tires the door jams need to be painted along with the engin compartment but it has low miles

'12 Silver SS 1SS
    '00 Black SS #8617

still, IMO, as others have now said: for $10k, you can find a better quality/condition car that doesn't need additional money thrown at it to get it to the condition it should be in, and without such a colorful past.

i guess im failing to understand why you are so set on this one particular car, with so many out there.

Red
    WS6 M6 Vert

Quote Originally Posted by SSwt00SS View Post
    still, IMO, as others have now said: for $10k, you can find a better quality/condition car that doesn't need additional money thrown at it to get it to the condition it should be in, and without such a colorful past.

i guess im failing to understand why you are so set on this one particular car, with so many out there.

im with you, id pass on this one, too many red flags
    it sounds like a ride you may find other issues with down the road

NBM
    1999 Formula ws6

It wouldent be for 10k the most id go would be 8 out the door once tax tags and title is all taken care of

1998 Trans Am

It wouldent be for 10k the most id go would be 8 out the door once tax tags and title is all taken care of
    got mine for 8, and it was one of the best quality f-bodies I'd ever seen out of 50+

Black
    BLK TA modded 12.2@113mph

Same here

I got mine with 34 000 miles black on black like new for $8k not a WS6 but spend $2500 did the hood and a stall plus UMI parts on it and shocks so for $10 500 I have a sweet ride !!!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread Information