Results 1 to 20 of 20

real trans am numbers

This is a discussion on real trans am numbers within the Firebird / WS6 forums, part of the Vehicle Specific category; ok quick questions i have a 01 ta im getting ready soon to race my buddy at the track he ...

  1. #1
    Member chuck4345's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    memphis tn
    Posts
    281

    black
    2002 trans am ws6

    real trans am numbers

    ok quick questions i have a 01 ta im getting ready soon to race my buddy at the track he has a 08 gt with a flowmaster and cold air intake ive never ran this car at the track just the street what kind of numbers am i looking at ive heard from local shops that a stock ta can run anywhere from a 14 to high 12 quarter mile anyone know why such a wide range and what i should expect

  2. #2
    Senior Member Zboner's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    cincinnati/northern ky
    Age
    31
    Posts
    9,045

    Black
    99 SS

    because some drivers are better then others

  3. #3
    Member chuck4345's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    memphis tn
    Posts
    281

    black
    2002 trans am ws6

    that was my first thought but i was told all ta came from factory different

  4. #4
    Member 2000LS1Bird's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    United States
    Posts
    506

    Blue/White
    00 TA/05 Legacy GT

    Well we need more info. Is your TA stock? 6-speed or auto?

    WS6? Not? If its an auto, then its either got a 2.73 car or a 3.23 performance rear.

    Do a search on this site and check your VIN on the door panel, that will tell you whether you have the 3.23 rear end or not.

    IF you have a stock auto with the 2.73, then you probably have a low 14-second TA, the slowest of the bunch, and then you might be in trouble against a new Stang with intake and mufflers.

    Otherwise, you should take him.

  5. #5
    Member chuck4345's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    memphis tn
    Posts
    281

    black
    2002 trans am ws6

    the car is an 01 ta automatic bone stock where do i look on the vin to tell what rear end and thank you for the info

  6. #6
    Senior Member Orcus79's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Canada
    Age
    38
    Posts
    1,346

    black
    2002 WS6

    You actually don't look at the VIN you look at the RPO code sticker on the door. if the 2000 codes translate over the codes are;

    GU2 - 2.73
    GU4 - 3.08
    GU5 - 3.23
    GU6 - 3.42
    G80 - posi

    provided a ratio swap hasn't been done.

  7. #7
    Formula Driver! 96Firebirdformula's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    Seymour, Indiana
    Posts
    629

    Batman Black
    1996 Formula

    Quote Originally Posted by chuck4345 View Post
    the car is an 01 ta automatic bone stock where do i look on the vin to tell what rear end and thank you for the info
    Is his an Manual 08 GT or Auto? at track without stall automatic gonna suck

  8. #8
    Member chuck4345's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    memphis tn
    Posts
    281

    black
    2002 trans am ws6

    both cars are automatics

  9. #9
    Member chuck4345's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    memphis tn
    Posts
    281

    black
    2002 trans am ws6

    its says gu5 on the door

  10. #10
    Member vannatte's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    Noblesville, IN
    Posts
    440

    Black
    1998 Pontiac Trans Am A4

    You have the optional 3.23 gears.

  11. #11
    Member 2000LS1Bird's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    United States
    Posts
    506

    Blue/White
    00 TA/05 Legacy GT

    You lucky bastard.

    Well with 3.23 gears, and his Mustang being an automatic, I'm betting you take him. Its gonna be real close the first half of the track, so don't fall asleep at the tree.

    By the end of the 1/4 you will be pulling on him. Hopefully you'll already be in front!! Good luck.

  12. #12
    LS1 chosen son lemons12's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    tennessee
    Posts
    2,010

    TA-White, Camaro-Black
    Track-TA98A4 DD-98z28M6

    Quote Originally Posted by 96Firebirdformula View Post
    Is his an Manual 08 GT or Auto? at track without stall automatic gonna suck
    wtf is with people hating on A4s??

    Quote Originally Posted by 2000LS1Bird View Post
    You lucky bastard.

    Well with 3.23 gears, and his Mustang being an automatic, I'm betting you take him. Its gonna be real close the first half of the track, so don't fall asleep at the tree.

    By the end of the 1/4 you will be pulling on him. Hopefully you'll already be in front!! Good luck.

    i have 323... with SLP LM and a lid i went 8.4 @ 84. there was a full bolt on 03... got him by about 3-4 lengths.. and was pulling.. i hear that the 05s and up are only about 2 lengths quicker.. so yea you will take him.. do your free mods..

  13. #13
    LS1 chosen son lemons12's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    tennessee
    Posts
    2,010

    TA-White, Camaro-Black
    Track-TA98A4 DD-98z28M6

    Quote Originally Posted by chuck4345 View Post
    ok quick questions i have a 01 ta im getting ready soon to race my buddy at the track he has a 08 gt with a flowmaster and cold air intake ive never ran this car at the track just the street what kind of numbers am i looking at ive heard from local shops that a stock ta can run anywhere from a 14 to high 12 quarter mile anyone know why such a wide range and what i should expect
    if you get beat... tell him to drive over near Chatt.. ill give him an ass whoopin.. haha

  14. #14
    Member chuck4345's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    memphis tn
    Posts
    281

    black
    2002 trans am ws6

    thank you all for all the help

  15. #15
    Member egod's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Chicago
    Posts
    436

    Navy Blue Metallic
    1999 Trans Am

    do those codes hold true for the 99 as well, cause then my TA has the 3.42 and the posi? it was advertised with the 2.73 gear though so i'm a little unsure.

  16. #16
    Senior Member Orcus79's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Canada
    Age
    38
    Posts
    1,346

    black
    2002 WS6

    The codes may. I got them out of a 2000 factory service manual. I would think that your chances are high that you may have the 3.42s. As the 2.73s I believe would have been standard fair. With the other ratios optional depending on if you got the M6 or A4.

  17. #17
    Member vannatte's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    Noblesville, IN
    Posts
    440

    Black
    1998 Pontiac Trans Am A4

    Quote Originally Posted by egod View Post
    do those codes hold true for the 99 as well, cause then my TA has the 3.42 and the posi? it was advertised with the 2.73 gear though so i'm a little unsure.
    You can only have 3.42's with a manual. Actually its not an option they all come with 3.42's.

  18. #18
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    NC
    Posts
    17
    Quote Originally Posted by 2000LS1Bird View Post
    Well we need more info. Is your TA stock? 6-speed or auto?

    WS6? Not? If its an auto, then its either got a 2.73 car or a 3.23 performance rear.

    Do a search on this site and check your VIN on the door panel, that will tell you whether you have the 3.23 rear end or not.

    IF you have a stock auto with the 2.73, then you probably have a low 14-second TA, the slowest of the bunch, and then you might be in trouble against a new Stang with intake and mufflers.

    Otherwise, you should take him.

    Ummm My 01 with 2.73 gears run a 12.9 with lid and catback. The best I ever run was 12.56 @ 109 on drag radials car made 330 HP and 350 TQ

  19. #19
    Veteran 0rion's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    ohio
    Posts
    22,519

    98 Formula
    06 duramax

    get a stall and walk him proper.

  20. #20
    Member 2000LS1Bird's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    United States
    Posts
    506

    Blue/White
    00 TA/05 Legacy GT

    Quote Originally Posted by BlkDeuce View Post
    Ummm My 01 with 2.73 gears run a 12.9 with lid and catback. The best I ever run was 12.56 @ 109 on drag radials car made 330 HP and 350 TQ
    Yay!!

    At the 1/4 mile track in Tulsa, 2.73 A4 Trans Ams run low 14s.

    Don't know where your from, but 12.9s are NOT typical for that set up. I've got a 2.73 A4 with Lid, Borla Catback and y-pipe. 13.5 1/4.

    But then again, it is that tricky A4. Maybe I can't drive...

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. Understanding Dyno Numbers - Real Wheel Horsepower
    By Ed Blown Vert in forum Dyno Information
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 02-17-2012, 06:22 AM
  2. 75th Anniversary Trans Am Real?
    By 96Firebirdformula in forum Firebird / WS6
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 10-16-2007, 08:43 PM
  3. how to tell if its a real WS6 trans am
    By importssuck in forum Firebird / WS6
    Replies: 11
    Last Post: 06-09-2006, 10:58 PM
  4. Real HIDs on a Trans Am
    By redls1bird in forum Appearance Section
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 03-15-2006, 05:34 PM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •