Ram Air Mods - Wierd results

This is a discussion on Ram Air Mods - Wierd results within the Firebird / WS6 forums, part of the Vehicle Specific category; I just wanted to post on some ram air mods I did. Years ago, I pulled out the baffels, and ...

Drivin It Like I Stole It JWSmythe's Avatar

Silver
    '00 TransAm WS/6

Ram Air Mods - Wierd results

I just wanted to post on some ram air mods I did.

Years ago, I pulled out the baffels, and they didn't make a bit of difference.

There was a thread recently about some kits to make the nose actually attach to the filter box. I wasn't going to spend that kind of money, but I was curious. I went down to Home Depot, and got some double sided tape (actually body molding tape in a different box) and thick air conditioner seal (about 2"x2"). I looked carefully at how the hood closed, and figured out the best way (for me, of course) that I could put it on, and it would seal.

I noticed absolutely no change in horsepower. It was a cool mod, and it is glued down, so I left it.

I drive about 50 miles to go somewhere. That 100 mile round trip of mixed city and highway usually takes just about 1/2 tank of gas.

After doing the mod, I came out using just over 1/4 tank. I thought it was something stupid, like a tail wind, or the phase of the moon.

I did it two more times, and came back using much less fuel.

I had put a vac/boost gauge on years ago, thinking that someday I may put a supercharger on. I noticed no change in the vac, so it wasn't producing pressure, or at least nothing noticable. I could go to WOT at 90, and it went to where it always does (about 2 in/hg)

I paid careful attention on the last trip. At highway speeds, I barely used any gas. Under 55mph was still the same. Ahhh, a quick and easy way to save gas! Yippie!

That was the exciting part. I'd like to hear from other people what their experiences with this are.

I was out in the yard today, and was thinking about the leaf blower. It moves a lot of air, but not enough to satisfy the engine. It's only about 300cfm. I went hunting for people who had put a leaf blower on their intake system. Hey, why not. I found people bragging about trivial increases in horsepower, but something common was that their gas mileage got much better. On a crappy 4 cylinder one guy went from 19mpg to 28mpg.

I don't want to put on a supercharger or turbocharger. I heard horror stories, but the sticker shock is enough to keep me from doing it. That, and I beat up on all the locals anyways, so I don't need more power. One local with a Z06 played with me up to 80mph, and I was right with him. The other mods I've done have done me well.

What I was considering was staged leaf blowers. If I used 4 300cfm leaf blower motors (gutting them, and scrapping all the annoying parts), so I'm getting some additional airflow at partial throttle, increasing to all 4 on at WOT, would it make a difference? I could put flaps on, so air can blow in, but air can never blow back out. It's pretty obvious, if only one is running, the pressure will go right back out the other holes. I did see someone had put a rheostat on his throttle, so the motor would run at different speeds based on throttle position. I believe I could relocate the windshield washer tank to make room for them.

I know, I know. I've laughed at people selling "electric superchager" kits. They advertise 300cfm at most, which obviously won't help us with big engines. At best with them, I'd just restrict my airflow.

Would anyone happen to now how many CFM are used at various throttle positions and RPM's? That would help me estimate how to put it together. At best, I hope to get better MPG in city driving. At worst, well, I wasted some money, and can put the leaf blowers back together and sell them on Craigslist.

I do a lot of city driving. My commute to and from work is 0 to 45mph. Way outside of where our cars get good mileage. A while ago, I calculated and then tested, and the best mileage I get is at 95mph in 6th gear. Too bad we can't get the speed limits raised. I'd hate to save $100 in gas in a year, but have to pay much more in speeding tickets and insurance rate increases.

Impounded

79 T/A -91 Firebird
    1998 Trans Am -Oynx Black

Subscribed........... . . .

None

That was a very interesting read... Enjoy!

Impounded

79 T/A -91 Firebird

if your honestly considering this what is going to power the leaf blowers? Gasoline or electric? Gas is going to use... gas.... Electric will DOOM your alternator and there goes that gas mileage..

Honestly if your searching for MPG find a 500 dollar beater geo.

Dont get rednecking up a bird.. please...

None

Quote Originally Posted by JoshieDoom View Post
    if your honestly considering this what is going to power the leaf blowers? Gasoline or electric? Gas is going to use... gas.... Electric will DOOM your alternator and there goes that gas mileage..

Honestly if your searching for MPG find a 500 dollar beater geo.

Dont get rednecking up a bird.. please...

I totally agree with this very smart man!

Silver
    '00 TransAm WS/6

Well, (to answer someone else) electric, otherwise it defeats the purpose.

After posting that, I went looking for other options too. A leaf blower was what got me started on the idea, so that's the direction I was going. But, I found industrial blower fans that may do it. Like the blowers for commercial kitchens. They'll be quieter (no need to advertise I'm doing something weird), and more dependable. The important part is, they require less power. The leaf blowers were just the start of an idea. No one would know it was done, unless I opened the hood and explained the mystery parts to them.

The one I'm eyeballing now, that draws a peak of 6A. Since I'd be hooking it up to a rheostat, it would only draw full power at WOT. While I love being at WOT, I can't stay there long without going way too fast. You guys already know that though.

I like working with my car. I've been on a quest for better gas mileage for a while. Opening up the air flow has helped a bit, so people are thrown when I saw I make 26mpg pretty easily on the highway. I don't mind the extra power it's given me too. I like to have my power when I need it. That's something the $500 Geo beater will never have. I built a hydrogen cell (like you see pop up here and there) to pump hydrogen and oxygen into the intake. No difference, regardless of what some people say. (usually, I know this guy, who knows this guy, who....) the only way I can make it make a difference is to draw way more power than the alternator can provide. I guess that's the difference between me and a con man. I quantify the results before I will say something. I could have probably sold hundreds of the unit I built for $1000/ea, but they don't work, so I wouldn't.

I know some vehicles *NEED* additional airflow to work. I have a vehicle with a Detroit Diesel 6v92. It has a supercharger just so it can run. It also has a turbo to run better. The supercharger on the diesels is just to provide enough airflow. i guess you need it when you're running a 552ci engine. It doesn't create enough vacuum to pull enough air in by itself. This, if it worked, would be operating on that principal. Ya, we can pull enough air, but it may help if we add more.

Impounded

79 T/A -91 Firebird

I think a lot of research is needed on your part. With full electronics on in the car, your alternator would be maxed out instantly.. lets say you have the heat on while driving at night listening to the radio.. The alternator would kill that mileage you were making. You could possible get an underdrive crank pulley and then an overdrive alternator pulley to even this out. Headers/intake/exhaust mods/tune will get you a great amount of MPG at low throttle.

As for the hydrogen... I hope you know about the rusting issue....

Silver
    '00 TransAm WS/6

I've run my laptop several times on long trips. It provided GPS and video to friends and family, mostly for fun. They could see where I was, and what I was seeing. My mom wanted to watch, and she called me because it showed me stopped off the road in the middle of nowhere. I had a look at the map, and ya, I was nowhere. In reality though, it was a brand new rest area, and I was taking a nap. I'll stop and nap, rather than killing myself. I've managed to stay alive for 35 years, I'd like to think I can continue that trend for a few more. My laptop draws a lot of power, because it has a big screen. It wasn't a problem except for when I was stopped idling for a while. I had the lights, A/C, engine, and the laptop running. I also had my foot on the brakes the whole time. It was hot out (in Southern California, at night, in the summer), so I'm sure the engine fans had kicked on too. After about 10 minutes, I saw the check engine light come on. When I glanced down, the volt meter was way down. I yanked the power cord to the laptop, and it popped back up where it belonged. It was just too much at idle. GM sets up it's alternators to work optimally between 1500 to 6500 rpm. Below that, it's working, just not well. Obviously not well enough for the load that I had. In the setup I'm considering, idle at 0% throttle, the fan wouldn't be running.

Hydrogen doesn't have a rusting issue, but the electrolysis does. There is a potential problem with hydrogen embrittlement. From what I've found, the levels that can be made by the available power in a car are so low it doesn't matter. But hey, it didn't work anyways, so I only ran a few hundred miles like that, and that was a few years ago.

I did have serious corrosion problems inside the cell. I finally went with carbon plates (conductive, yet don't corrode), and nylon fasteners. Carbon rods had a problem with moving inside the cell, and making the water dirty (and very conductive). The "dust" in the water shorted the cell out very quickly. I switched to plates and a better securing method, which didn't have any rubbing problems, and didn't short out.

Pretty much, and metals inside the cell corroded over a relative short time (minutes to days, depending on the metal). I was told I could use platinum, but I'm not rich. That's why I laugh when I see some of the techniques. Some use copper or steel. They'll work to a degree, for a short time, but if you tried to put one into an environment where it needed to work for months or years, it would fail. Copper mesh made a real nasty mess real quick. Steel took longer to corrode, but it failed too. I tried a whole variety of metals. Pretty much anything I could get my hands on.

Here's the only video I have. I never made the other videos into any sort of distributable format.

I did some interesting testing on different voltages. I went from 1.2vdc to 110vdc (110vac with a full bridge rectifier). The higher the voltage, the better the results. I also jumped up to 30Kv, but because it was drawing off a 12v car battery, using a car ignition coil, it had the voltage, but no amperage. It couldn't even begin to electrolyze the water. It did make some really cool sparks though. It was all fun and games until the EMP started shutting down my control circuit. My laptop and camera were safe, they were far enough away. It was fun making musical sparks though. Go to Youtube and search for singing tesla coil, to see the effect. I was on a much smaller scale. My spark gap was only about 2".

Thread Information