Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Ram air mod

This is a discussion on Ram air mod within the Firebird / WS6 forums, part of the Vehicle Specific category; ...

Black
    1998 Trans Am WS-6

Quote Originally Posted by walt's 98 ta View Post
    to my understanding (and i know a decent ammount about old and new cars) there is really no difference between cold air induction and the more muscular sounding Ram air. Cold air induction is a fairly modern term that started with the intercooled and turbo driven grand nationals and t-types. Yes cold air is more beneficial to any engine than hot or even warm but if the air your feeding your car comes from outside the engine bay, it's safe to say it's "cold" regardless of the term ram air or cold air intake. my 2 cents.
    yes but ram air is different than cold air because it typically comes from a hood "scoop" that makes the air enter the engine quicker than it normally would by forcing and pressurizing the intake at highway speeds in the same way a supercharger would but instead of 6psi its more like -1psi depending on quality of ram air system, how well it is sealed, and vehicle speed.

1,320 bad ass

black
    98 formula

it's 6 in one, half dozen in the other. My wifes mercedes AMG has "ram air" but it doesn't come from the hood, it comes through the grill. If I'm not mistaken Pontiac actually holds a patent on "ram air". So other companies will say other things like "cold air intake" or forced air scoops. shit like dat. mustang (yea i said it) cobras had hood scoops but they couldnt say "ram air"
    suzuki moter cycles had a set up called S-RAD, all because they can't say.. bla bla bla

Black
    2000 WS6 6spd Hooker LT

Quote Originally Posted by walt's 98 ta View Post
    it's 6 in one, half dozen in the other. My wifes mercedes AMG has "ram air" but it doesn't come from the hood, it comes through the grill. If I'm not mistaken Pontiac actually holds a patent on "ram air". So other companies will say other things like "cold air intake" or forced air scoops. shit like dat. mustang (yea i said it) cobras had hood scoops but they couldnt say "ram air"
    suzuki moter cycles had a set up called S-RAD, all because they can't say.. bla bla bla
    Actually, Mustangs had a "Ram Air" on their hood scoops in 1970 or so. I thought Pontiac had the patent on it also. Believe it or not, the Mustangs also had an optional hood tach. I had a hood tach on my '67 GTO and '67 Firebird.

Hood tachs are da shit!

1,320 bad ass

black
    98 formula

hood tachs are pretty cool. there was some cool muscle car stuff that kinda fell by the way side. You never see cowl induction anymore. Rarely do you see side exhaust exits (under the doors) or 2 speed (powerglide) transmissions that were almost meant exclusively for drag racing but made in mass by chevy in all kinds of cars. what about rear leaf springs, they were killer for reducing wheel hop and giving bitching traction.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread Information