Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Ram air mod

This is a discussion on Ram air mod within the Firebird / WS6 forums, part of the Vehicle Specific category; I guess i need to see it installed because from the Bgra site i cant completely tell why it's so ...

1,320 bad ass

black
    98 formula

I guess i need to see it installed because from the Bgra site i cant completely tell why it's so effective. It appears to be injection molded plastic, that seals/ funnels all the air from top and bottom nostrils into the air box, which is further sealed by an inch (or so) thick piece of plastic as well. it looks to mount to the hood via the corner piece mounts they supplied and the stock "grill or rain baffles" are removed?

Red
    2002 Trans Am WS6 (M6)

Quote Originally Posted by walt's 98 ta View Post
    I guess i need to see it installed because from the Bgra site i cant completely tell why it's so effective. It appears to be injection molded plastic, that seals/ funnels all the air from top and bottom nostrils into the air box, which is further sealed by an inch (or so) thick piece of plastic as well. it looks to mount to the hood via the corner piece mounts they supplied and the stock "grill or rain baffles" are removed?
    Correct on the material - injection molded plastic. It only seals the actual WS6 hood nostrils to the airbox - not the lower air intake areas below the nostrils. With the hood baffles removed and the funnels installed in the hood, the funnels direct the air from the front (hood) openings to the rear (airbox) opening. The funnels are only used to cut down on "dead air" within the WS6 hood. I'm not sure they are necessary but they were part of the kit. The corner piece mounts were used if you wanted to take out the nostril grills. I have different grills from an out of business company so didn't have any use for the corner pieces. Once again, with the grills removed, it was supposed to increase air flow since nothing (like a grill) would be in the way. The final piece was the back rectangular piece that mounts to the back of the hood opening. This has a gasket that seals the plastic piece to the actual air box. This gasket is the piece that needs to be replaced from time to time if it fits to tight against the airbox. If it rained, you were supposed to open your hood, pull out the gasket, and insert the rain shield in place of the gasket. Oh yeah, there were also a few rubber plugs that fit in the various openings in the hood to help in sealing.

The previously mentioned Ken Winkler had a gasket that sealed against the airbox and probably lasted longer but his setup didn't include the internal funnels. He also sold rain guards that you put on the front (from the outside) of the hood nostrils. Here's a picture of his gasket and rain shields: http://www.ls1.com/forums/attachment...3&d=1141250388

Red
    2002 Trans Am WS6 (M6)

Quote Originally Posted by Tinman2000 View Post
    Have tried to reach Ken about the rain baffles for the ram air hoods, but fbody99@shaw.ca is no longer working. Any other possible contact info?
    Thanks
    I have a different email address for Ken but I haven't emailed him for about two years so not sure it's good anymore. Here's what I have: fbody99 AT mts DOT net

1,320 bad ass

black
    98 formula

well if we can all put together enough info, i should be able to fab soemthing up in our shop. I dont see any problem making it, the issue with bgra profibility was probably a result of too much middle man. i'd do the fab and sale myself. If it really can take a stock ls1 into the high 12's there should def be a market. I'd love to have one of his kits to duplicate and or improve upon. Maybe even create somehting for the SS camaro guys.

Black
    2000 T/A w/WS-6

Ram air and rain baffles

I was able to reach Ken @ fbody99@mts.net He directed me to his site http://rides.webshots.com/album/44929351NTfDIv for his version and some other great shots. His rain baffles go in the FRONT of the nostril openings compared to the unit fromhttp://www.geocities.com/brian98rama...AIRPIC.html that goes between the hood and air box opening

Black
    2002 Trans am ws6

That add says it uses all four nostrils to take in air. Thats not a good idea because the bottom notrils actually build a high pressure area in front of the car. Kind of an air dam. Anyway with out that pocket of air the ram-air would not funtion, air would simply fly over the hood. This is what happens with SS Camaros. This not a matter of opinion its how the system was designed.

Quote Originally Posted by Tinman2000 View Post
    I was able to reach Ken @ fbody99@mts.net He directed me to his site http://rides.webshots.com/album/44929351NTfDIv for his version and some other great shots. His rain baffles go in the FRONT of the nostril openings compared to the unit fromhttp://www.geocities.com/brian98rama...AIRPIC.html that goes between the hood and air box opening
    So w/those nostril covers he has, is the car still going to pull in much air when the hood is sealed to the airbox? It seems like it would be starving for air if that were done... Also, who completed this mod, and has really had a problem, it seems like it is just a "bad idea" in some circumstances...

Drivin It Like I Stole It JWSmythe's Avatar

Silver
    '00 TransAm WS/6

Ram Air baffles

I pulled my baffles out years ago. It was the night I was putting my NOS kit on. I reached up to see my fingers through the grills, and hit them.

In theory, they're very restrictive. There was only a little gap at the top and bottom. I drilled out the rivets, and tossed them in the trash.

A little while later, I installed a vac/boost gauge, thinking someday I may install a turbo or supercharger. Neither has happened yet. I will say, I see no "boost" effect, even at WOT doing 80+ mph. It may let cooler air in, but it would have already been sucking in pretty cool air as it was.

As for rain, don't worry about it. Now I live in the "Sunshine State", Florida, where you'll see the worst rainstorms in the country for most of the summer. I've stopped because of blinding rain, but I've never had an engine problem from it.

Since doing that, I've helped the smooth air flow, from the nose all the way back to the throttle body. The increased diameter pieces have made a difference. Besides acceleration, I noticed downshifting was affected. I usually downshift at the same places going to and from work. When I made the airflow changes, it screwed up where I had to shift, so the first time I was driving home from work, I hit the off ramp a little fast. I didn't feel anything by just removing the baffles.

Very helpful... I think I'm completely sold on this one now, lol. Did you do the same thing others did as far as using weatherstrip between the hood, and airbox? I don't know how helpful that'd be, but wanted to hear it from you as well.

Black
    2002 ws6 (6 speed)

I took the baffles out of my hood too right after i got my car. i noticed alittle but mostly just above 80mph.
    1999 mbm Z m6/ forged 346, lt's, wires, ls6 intake, sts rear turbo.

*SOLD*2002 black ws6- <Bolt ons, ls6 heads, mild cam, dyno tune, full susp. and 4.10s> --440rwhp/395rwtq

1,320 bad ass

black
    98 formula

I'd be curious to know if anyone has ever calculated the ammount of airflow (cfm) generated by direct ram air as opposed to a super charger or turbo. I know that both generate substantially more power but at the cost of being driven by a power source, for turbos it's exhaust gases. In theory more air equals more power, but IMO maybe we're not feeling so much difference by removing baffles etc due to increased drag on the cars aerodynamics. Gain 5 horsepower, loose 4 type deal.

Do you really think it causes much more drag? If anything I think that would be the perfect way to allow air to flow through, by ramming it down your intake, haha. I don't see how it could cause much more drag than a non ws6 model..

Black
    2002 ws6 (6 speed)

Quote Originally Posted by hot93rod View Post
    Do you really think it causes much more drag? If anything I think that would be the perfect way to allow air to flow through, by ramming it down your intake, haha. I don't see how it could cause much more drag than a non ws6 model..
    i dont see how it would. im with you.. the more air the better, but who knows?

Red
    2002 Trans Am WS6 (M6)

I'd be curious to know if anyone has ever calculated the ammount of airflow (cfm) generated by direct ram air...
    I think I remember someone on here or maybe ls1tech doing some testing on this but it might have been several years ago when the bgra was still available. I do remember lots of talk over time that it really doesn't do much until you get to higher speeds and then I'm sure it's not a huge difference. I think the big thing is that everything helps a little and if you want to be different from stock, then here's something else to do. I removed the baffles and installed the bgra some time ago and wouldn't change it back - partly because it's not available anymore and it's something I wanted to do to at the time which made my car different.

Black
    2002 ws6 (6 speed)

i Agree

1,320 bad ass

black
    98 formula

I dont know for sure, and i dont have the time to effectively test it. yea, who knows. but I think back to stories my pops told me about GTo's back in the day with ram air and apparently they had some type of levver to pull inorder to open the hood ducts up. The way he remembered it the car felt like it gained another 2 cylinders, and everyone in the cars heads stuck to the seats. now ours are always open so it's not as dramatic of a feeling/response. imo

Black
    2000 WS6 6spd Hooker LT

I dont know for sure, and i dont have the time to effectively test it. yea, who knows. but I think back to stories my pops told me about GTo's back in the day with ram air and apparently they had some type of levver to pull inorder to open the hood ducts up. The way he remembered it the car felt like it gained another 2 cylinders, and everyone in the cars heads stuck to the seats. now ours are always open so it's not as dramatic of a feeling/response. imo
    I believe that was first on the '69 Judge, the pull to open the ram air. And yeah, it really helped. I noticed the same thing with my '67 400 4-spd Firebird, I installed a reproduction ram air system and opened my hood scoops. I could use more spark advance and at the drag strip I gained .2 and 2 MPH. So I can believe the story about people in the GTO feeling the difference. As we all know, tho, it really is/was a CAI, not true ram air, with maybe a little bit of ramming happening above 80 MPH or so.

1,320 bad ass

black
    98 formula

CAI? im not up on all the computer terms.. OMG, BTW, LOL, Now cai?

Black
    1998 Trans Am WS-6

CAI? im not up on all the computer terms.. OMG, BTW, LOL, Now cai?
    Cold Air Induction

1,320 bad ass

black
    98 formula

to my understanding (and i know a decent ammount about old and new cars) there is really no difference between cold air induction and the more muscular sounding Ram air. Cold air induction is a fairly modern term that started with the intercooled and turbo driven grand nationals and t-types. Yes cold air is more beneficial to any engine than hot or even warm but if the air your feeding your car comes from outside the engine bay, it's safe to say it's "cold" regardless of the term ram air or cold air intake. my 2 cents.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread Information