Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Rain Leak

Rain Leak

I did a long search for info on this before posting. Also, I'm posting here as opposed to the convertible section as it does not get much traffic and I consider this a huge issue. Would appreciate it if we could leave this thread here and move it later...Thanks

For the past week it has rained a lot here in NJ. Every morning my Passenger Rear Floor is soaked, I'm talking soaked with a good amount of standing water on it.
    I have been in the car when it is raining hard, and I cannot figure out where it is coming from. I have a good quality top, a seemingly good seal around the glass and weatherstripping. Door seems to seal nicely also. There is not moisture anywhere except for the floor, it is not leaching through the top.
    For this much water, it seems the rain must be getting in somewhere and running directly down to the floor.
    This is a new issue, just started overnight about a week ago.

I plan to go get a rainproof cover, my garage is reserved for my '67 Firebird 400.

Anyone seen this issue? Any help really appreciated.

Thanks
    Hef

Red
    1999 Trans Am

Mine did this too its probaly the drain tube for the condensation from the a/c. I unclogged mine from the bottom with a pick and the wet floor stopped.

Maple Red Metallic
    2000 Pontiac Trans Am

really? the a/c line?

Red
    1999 Trans Am

always dirty
    2013 Ram 2014 Caddy ATS

I have had this problem. Mine was my own fault though. Sometimes my knee would hit the pass. window button and drop the window slightly. Next time I would get in and drive I would hear the window notice and notice a puddle. If this is not it then it is a plugged up drain near the condensor like others have stated.

Black
    2002 TA WS6 M6

Holy shit. This has happened to me 3 or 4 times. However, its the passenger side backseat floorboard that is soaked. Wouldn't the a/c drain line leak into the front floorboard?

Sounds good, but it's cold up here in NJ. I havent run my AC in long time. I dry out the car at night, it rains overnight, and my car is wet in the morning. I'm looking at all of the places rain can get in. The rear quarter where the convertible top goes into the body - water can easily get in there, I'm assuming it can go somewhere other than my floorboard. Or the window seal on the bottom of the window. It looks good, but if rain was getting in there, it could go to the bottom of the door and then to the floor. But that scenario, I would think could cause a small amount of moisture, I have a flood.

Thanks
    hef

I have no idea where the water is coming from, but I have an idea that might pinpoint it. Put on some bass-heavy music and crank it up. If you hear a rattling from, for example, the base of the closed window, that's probably the problem area.

navy blue met
    1998 Trans Am convertible

Ive had the exact same problem with mine in just the last few weeks. Its happened three times, but only after a lot of hard rain. I'm just gonna invest in a good weather proof car cover as my garage is occupied by my '70 LeMans Sport.

Red
    '00 TransAm RamAir WS6 M6

Seems like there would be a drain hole at the base of the convertible top that would allow the water going down into this space to drain out. Now that it has been determined that it's not the A/C condensation, I would find the drain holes that allow the water to drain at the base of the convertible top. Maybe there's dead leaves or dirt/trash clogging the drain holes which is causing the water to go inside the vehicle.

always dirty
    2013 Ram 2014 Caddy ATS

Quote Originally Posted by herculesrider1 View Post
    Seems like there would be a drain hole at the base of the convertible top that would allow the water going down into this space to drain out. Now that it has been determined that it's not the A/C condensation, I would find the drain holes that allow the water to drain at the base of the convertible top. Maybe there's dead leaves or dirt/trash clogging the drain holes which is causing the water to go inside the vehicle.
    Good point I forgot about them. If you lower the top about halfway you can look down near the door jamb where the top mechanism is. There should be a hole about a half inch wide. Might be some junk in there. I usually clean them out when I remember and am putting the top down. I can take a pic if needed.

Black
    2002 TA WS6 M6

I have t-tops, so that couldn't be my problem. There was no evidence of leakage from the tops or windows. No hole in the floor pan. Its odd. When I discovered it, it had not rained the day before. The water was a dirty color though, like tea.

pewter
    00 ws6

its the drain hole for the top clogged and also check the drainage trough for rust where the seams are they will leak also. just fixed this problem for a customer last week

This looks like good info. Wish I had read this earlier today. Sounds like a very possible solution, I have tons and tons of leaves falling on my car everyday over the last 4 weeks. Could be a lot of stuff down there.
    I will looking at this tomorrow, any more details on exactly where the hole is would be great.

Thanks all
    Hef

Did some quick work this morning. I found what I guess is the top end of the drain hole on both sides. Driver side was pretty clear, but pulled a couple of leaves out of it. Also the drivers side was Dry.
    Passenger side was Wet - Pulled a wet slimy mess off of the hole, the remaining water drained away. I'm guessing that's good news.

I did this very quickly - did not get a chance to actually See the Hole, but it feels pretty clear now. I would like to know where the Bottom of the Hole is. Also, is it a straight run from top to bottom. Is there a good Snake like tool that would push all the way through?

Thanks
    Hef

Red

Hey Hef,
    I don't have a convertible, but when there is a drainhole, there usually is not a end to the drain. What you see is usually what you get. I think, at least with what I've seen on my coupe, the drainhole just opens to the underside of the car with no hose or tube that would need to be snaked or cleaned out. At the back of my coupe, when I open up the hatch, there is a drainhole on each side, passenger and driver sides. These holes do not have a hose or tube attached to them, just a way for water to go away from the inside of the car, and I would assume that is the way your convertible is oriented. Hopefully someone else with a convertible will chime in on this thread and give us all some clarity.

white
    98 trans am

My car doesnt have back seats, took them out because less ppl want to ride that way haha, but found out that thelittle dip fills with fucking rain water when it rains,i dont think its my t-tops. Is my hatch leaking or something.....?

Black
    2002 TA WS6 M6

This is a damn good question...

white
    98 trans am

Quote Originally Posted by Speed_kills_WS6 View Post
    This is a damn good question...
    lol no shit i guess im just gonna store it when it starts gettin cold and rainy

Red

Thumbs up

98SnowT/A, one way to tell where the water is coming from, is to get inside and have someone with a water hose simulate rain, get them to run the water over your t tops, along the back hatch and just watch where the stream comes from, that way you can trace it back to it's origin and then fix it. If it comes in and pools on the passenger side, I would park myself on the driver side rear seat area and just watch from which direction the water comes from. At this point, it could be coming from just about anywhere, side windows, t-tops, or rear hatch. Get a towel, dry the area, and then get a friend to run water over the car. You should be able to trace the stream back to it's origin.

Thread Information