Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

racing from a roll in a4

This is a discussion on racing from a roll in a4 within the Firebird / WS6 forums, part of the Vehicle Specific category; Originally Posted by shady milkman weird...you want to have it in 3rd ALL THE TIME when you race....3rd gear will ...

Impounded

maple red metallic
    2000 firebird formula

Quote Originally Posted by shady milkman View Post
    weird...you want to have it in 3rd ALL THE TIME when you race....3rd gear will pull until 135mph..with 3.23s then you'd need to shift it into OD for fourth. 3rd uses al the clutch packs
    what if you have 2:73's??

blacker than wesleysnipes
    98' trans am

Quote Originally Posted by the_formula View Post
    what if you have 2:73's??
    i would assume it would pull higher

98' trans am

Quote Originally Posted by 35thz28camaro View Post
    my car runs the same if i am od or 3rd, but in a roll race it is faster if i down shift, so my rpm's are up for the take off
    well you are asking for trouble with your tranny...the 4l60e was not made to be downshifted into 2 or 1 period..they are not race related setting ect...3rd on the selector uses all clutch pack during shifting 1,2 and D do not. d/s into third will do the exact same thing as d/s into 2nd..this is all controlled by rpm/speed...so if your in the right area..which 45 is..it would essentially d/s into 2nd gear if you where to move it to third

Black & Silver
    2000 WS6 & 2003 Z06

just slam it into 1st and leave em in the dust hehe

Black & Silver
    2000 WS6 & 2003 Z06

Smoke Em

Impounded

NBM
    99 z28

is it safe to drop it into 2nd from, lets say, 55mph-60mph? never done it, afraid it will fuck up my tranny. speaking of, how hard on your tranny would it be?

one more stupid question: what is a safe speed to drop into 2nd? w/out totally fucking my tranny up? my tranny is stock

thanks.

98' trans am

only drop it into third.

Impounded

NBM
    99 z28

thanks. how hard on the tranny is it to drop it into 3rd? 60mph too fast/risky to drop into 3rd? sorry for the newbie questions

98' trans am

its fine..

Impounded

NBM
    99 z28

Quote Originally Posted by shady milkman View Post
    its fine..
    allllllllllllllllllllrighty then. lol 'preciate ya

Wow, this thread is scary. I thought the 6gear cars were the ones to be cautious with when buying a used 4th gen but you guys will find a way to tear anything up,,,,,,,,,,

Sure sounds like there are alot of auto cars out there that are in serious need of a tune.

You shouldn't have to touch the shifter,,,at all,,,period. Have the car tuned and tailor the upshift/downshifts to your particular application, and have fun with both hands on the wheel.

If you feel compelled to move a shifter around then a 6speed is what you want.

2002 z28 camaro

Quote Originally Posted by Firebirdjones View Post
    Wow, this thread is scary. I thought the 6gear cars were the ones to be cautious with when buying a used 4th gen but you guys will find a way to tear anything up,,,,,,,,,,

Sure sounds like there are alot of auto cars out there that are in serious need of a tune.

You shouldn't have to touch the shifter,,,at all,,,period. Have the car tuned and tailor the upshift/downshifts to your particular application, and have fun with both hands on the wheel.

you dont have to move the shifter, you will just have the delay of the down shift

Black
    00 Trans Am/Auto

Quote Originally Posted by Firebirdjones View Post

LOL. That's what I was thinking. Leaving it in D is all you need if your car is tuned right. Leave that shift control alone....lol. Everyone who owns an F-body knows that the rear end and tranny on an F-body is the achillies heal to an F-body. I ran 14.151 totally stock from a dig and I was impressed. Don't know what it will do with my SLP lid and moded airbox. 3rd is risky though

Black
    1998 Z28

well it depend on what speed your going in a roll cause not all the time if your in 3 it will downshift to 1st only 2nd and do it manually you get a better launch on them

They call me barney

FUCKING PURPLE
    its an 02-ish something

if you wanna shift something buy an M6, otherwise, let it do it itself, or else you could have one hell of a mess on your hands

member since may 2000 nhraformula's Avatar

black
    2000 nhra edition formula

plain and simple, you guys who shift an automatic are gonna fuck that trans up.
    ive been there done that and learned my lesson.
    get it tuned and adhust the shift points.
    2000 nhra edition formula
    a few bolt ons, 379 rwhp
    11.96 @113.25

98' trans am

Quote Originally Posted by BIG GUNS View Post
    LOL. That's what I was thinking. Leaving it in D is all you need if your car is tuned right. Leave that shift control alone....lol. Everyone who owns an F-body knows that the rear end and tranny on an F-body is the achillies heal to an F-body. I ran 14.151 totally stock from a dig and I was impressed. Don't know what it will do with my SLP lid and moded airbox. 3rd is risky though
    um how is third risky ? all third is is a O/D elimination set.

98' trans am

Quote Originally Posted by 98 Stang Killer View Post
    well it depend on what speed your going in a roll cause not all the time if your in 3 it will downshift to 1st only 2nd and do it manually you get a better launch on them
    ... unless your rolling at 5-15mph its not needed...again if you read your manual it will say not to manually shift...1 and 2 are soley meant for towing...so unless you hook up to a trailer from a roll..there would be no need to shift to 1 or 2.....you want performance..then keep it in 3rd...third uses all clutch packs.

98' trans am

Quote Originally Posted by BIG GUNS View Post
    you know what would help that time...start off with 3 from the gate...i bet it shifted into O/D and we all know that our 4th isnt geared for WoT performance.you'd be in the 13s if you start off in 3

Quote Originally Posted by 98 Stang Killer View Post
    LOL,,,,if it doesn't downshift to 1st gear then it's because you don't need to,,,,you're rolling too fast to do so. Factory programming will downshift to first gear if you are going 34 MPH or less,,,,,but if you feel compelled to go for first gear at 40-45 mph then be my guest,,,,a stockish motor won't spin that kind of rpm for long, especially the valve train.
    But it would be best to make the changes in the tune rather than moving the shifter when you think it's time,,,,,,it just takes human error out of the picture that way...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread Information