Bright Red
    1998 Firebird Formula LS1

Quick question about headlight

Hey guys...I got my passenger side headlight working. If you remember, half of the damn gearbox was missing when I bought the car, along with the nylon gear. Well..I managed to get my hands on an old motor and stole a couple of parts off of it to get it working again. So...pass side is working now...but the drivers side isn't moving at all. I think the motor is good, and I know the gears are good, because I can raise/lower it manually. But, I switch the headlights on, the pass side goes up, but nothing on the drivers side. Everything looks good. Is there a module or something that can go out? I'm stumped as to why this side isn't working. I've tried just about everything- raise it manually, turn the lights on/off. Lower it manually, turn the lights on/off. I've tried every combination to get this thing to go up and nothing....Any ideas?

Thanks guys (and gals). I appreciate any help ya can throw my way.

Bright Red

Update- okay...I figured out that one of the wires to the motor was disconnected....I fixed it. However, it's still not working. When I start the car, I can hear the motor running for about 30 seconds or so, then it shuts off. This leads me to believe that there's something wrong with the gearing...but that doesn't make since. i can manually raise/lower the headlight by turning the knob....so the gearing should be fine, right? Otherwise I wouldn't be able to make it go up and down. I hear the motor running, but nothing happening. Any ideas anyone? Trying to save myself a hundred bucks here.

2016 Camaro SS - Summit
    2001 Trans Am WS6 - NBM

Sounds to me like the motor has a disconnect within itself. If it works manually the gearing is fine. Maybe something stripped inside the motor. I'm no expert, but I went through the same thing with my old supra and the motor made noise but didn't work. Replaced and everything was fine. Again, same situation but different application so I could be wrong.

Sent from my Samsung "Look it's The Darkness!!!" Infuse 4G

2016 Summit White 1SS - The DD - Mishimoto catch can, Solo axleback & secondary cat delete, LED sidemarkers & reverse lights, head/taillight blackout, RCC custom badges
    2001 NBM Trans Am WS6 - Torquer V2 cam, Yank 3000 stall, Transgo kit, Racetronix fuel pump, TSP LTs, Magnaflow catback, Strano Springs/Koni STR.T shocks, 17x9.5/17x11 TTII's
    2000 Arctic White SS #1667 - Sold

Black/ Silver
    98 TA WS6/ 01 C5 Corvette

Not totally sure what the problem could be but if you need parts for it I have a pair of complete headlight assemblies including the motors in perfect working order. Have you checked all of the electrical stuff or opened up the motor to check it out?
    1998 Trans Am WS6 - Phantom
    421 CI LQ9, Tick Performance Custom Cam, TFS 255cc LS3 heads, Kooks 2" LT headers, Kooks 3" True Duals w/ high flow cats, FTP 104 lid, Speed Density Tune, 4" silicon tube, LS6 VCT, FAST 102 Intake, NW 102 TB, Oil Catch Can, SLP Bilstein Shocks w/ Vogtland Springs, CTS-V 4-piston Calipers w/C6 Z06 rotors, Stainless Steel Brake Lines, R1 concepts premium rotors, Hawk HP+ brake pads, VFN WSQ Hood, C5-R timing chain, SLP oil pump, E85 tune, Walbro 450 fuel pump, Deatschwerkz 95# injectors, Breathless performance headlights, Frost Tune, !HVAC.
    (Coming Soon) BMR DSL, UMI TQ Arm
    421 LQ9 14.8:1 on E85 Build/

Bright Red

Thanks for the reply guys. No..I haven't had a chance to pull the motor yet. I just finished doing the passenger side last night. Had to pull it, but I got it working but now it's raining. It's really got me stumped. I guess I'm gonna go get wet and pull the drivers side now lol. I can't just leave it not knowing what's wrong with it. It will drive me insane!!! lol How much would you take for the drivers side motor, Will? Worst case scenario, I will have to replace it.

I really appreciate the help, Terry and Will. Thanks again.

Black/ Silver

Np, man. I have no clue what motors go for. I guess $50+shipping+paypal fees(which is like 3 dollars or so)

Bright Red

Thanks man. Price sounds pretty good. I'm going to pull it out tomorrow, weather permitting. It's been rainy as hell here, and I have nowhere dry to work on it, but I should be able to give you a definite answer tomorrow sometime. I'll send ya a PM. Thanks again, Will.
    [SIGPIC][http://i265.photobucket.com/albums/i...0113/punch.jpg/SIGPIC]

Mustangs are like tampons....every pussy has one!

2016 Camaro SS - Summit
    2001 Trans Am WS6 - NBM

That is a steal.

Black/ Silver

Find out if you need a motor replacement yet? I just removed them from the headlight assemblies, that's why I am asking.

Bright Red

Hey...sorry, man. I'm just getting home tonight. I ended up finding a Pick a Part on the way home from work that had quite a few firebirds...picked up a headlight motor, fender wheel well, window/door lock switch, and a windshield resiviore for 60 bucks. Even came with a 30 day warranty! Found everything I need in one swoop. Thanks for your help though man. Sorry you pulled the parts already...
    Last edited by chris1974; 03-10-2012 at 05:51 PM.

2016 Camaro SS - Summit
    2001 Trans Am WS6 - NBM

Gotta love those salvages. We have one just for Camaros/Firebirds in Tulsa

98 Formula
    06 duramax

from your description I'd almost have to think something inside that motor is busted or stripped. Update us and let us know what you find.

Bright Red

Oh yeah...love the bone yards!

Yeah...I thought something might be busted too, but I don't know why the manual raise/lower knob would still work. Idk...I'll try to replace it tomorrow after work..I'll let you guys know what I find.

Black/ Silver

Quote Originally Posted by chris1974:2755064
    Hey...sorry, man. I'm just getting home tonight. I ended up finding a Pick a Part on the way home from work that had quite a few firebirds...picked up a headlight motor, fender wheel well, window/door lock switch, and a windshield resiviore for 60 bucks. Even came with a 30 day warranty! Found everything I need in one swoop. Thanks for your help though man. Sorry you pulled the parts already...
    Wow no problem man, got to go with the best deal and that was definitely the best deal.

Black
    2002 M6 WS6

Well I've only been inside my motors once for my driver side. I had the classic motor goes up/down then grinds for 10 seconds. I'm almost positive I could manually raise and lower mine as well but replacing the nylon with a brass gear solved my issue completely. If I were you I'd just order that brass gear set, pull the motor out and do an overhaul. It may take you all day but that's mainly to let the glue sit. The work itself should only take you about an hour.

Bright Red

I replaced the motor yesterday. Headlights are working now. Anthony, yeah..I'm gonna break into that gear box when I have a little time, and rebuild it. I'm almost positive it's the plastic gear that's messed up. So..I'll rebuild it, and have an extra on hand for next time. Thanks for your help everyone! I really appreciate it.

Black/ Silver

Quote Originally Posted by chris1974:2755434
    I replaced the motor yesterday. Headlights are working now. Anthony, yeah..I'm gonna break into that gear box when I have a little time, and rebuild it. I'm almost positive it's the plastic gear that's messed up. So..I'll rebuild it, and have an extra on hand for next time. Thanks for your help everyone! I really appreciate it.
    Replace them with brass gears.

Bright Red

Oh yeah..that's a must!

Thread Information