Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Quick question...

This is a discussion on Quick question... within the Firebird / WS6 forums, part of the Vehicle Specific category; Originally Posted by jroc ATcharming, What is the difference between a trans Am WS6 and a Formula WS6. The dealer ...

!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! ATCharming's Avatar

Silver
    2000 Camaro SS

Quote Originally Posted by jroc View Post
    ATcharming, What is the difference between a trans Am WS6 and a Formula WS6. The dealer never offered a formula WS6 right (never heard of it)?? I thought the only available versions above a regular Trans Am were: WS6 , Firehawk , Yellow-Collectors edition, NHRA package, and The extremely rare Blackbird package?? Does a Formula WS6 even exist??
    JR.
    trans am ws6 vs formula ws6 is the front bumper, the ground effects and the rear bumper. if you look at the rear bumper of a firebird (formula or not, its the same body) u will see the exhaust just exits under the body. in a trans am, the bumper kind of surrounds the exhaust a bit. plus the fog light positions on t.a.s and formulas are different. thats just for 98+ tho... if ur talking 93-97 you can relaly tell the difference.

i just didnt mention the other options such as yellow ceta, nhra, firehawk and what not cuz theyre collectibles etc... i pasted the basics.

yes a formula ws6 exists. ws6 = ram air function which will help at real high speeds, idk if the gains are as high as they say tho, but less restrictive exhaust, bigger wheels, and suspension upgrades. that goes for formula ws6 or t.a. ws6
    Quote Originally Posted by Y2KPewterSS View Post
    Firehawks

Black
    1993 Camaro Z28

Agree, the formula is the modified version for the firebird, where as the Trans Am is the modified version of the formula. Hence the Trans Am formula firebird. Just like the Camaro!! the Z-28 is the hopped up version of the camaro.. Camaro Z-28.., and the IROC is the hopped up version of the Z-28 package of the camaro... IROC-Z.. or Iroc-Z28 Camaro.

Red
    2001 Trans Am

What suspension upgrades does a WS6 have?

Silver
    2000 Camaro SS

Quote Originally Posted by jrgswhitels1 View Post
    Agree, the formula is the modified version for the firebird, where as the Trans Am is the modified version of the formula. Hence the Trans Am formula firebird. Just like the Camaro!! the Z-28 is the hopped up version of the camaro.. Camaro Z-28.., and the IROC is the hopped up version of the Z-28 package of the camaro... IROC-Z.. or Iroc-Z28 Camaro.

yea, u kinda got it right...but theres really no such thing called a firebird formula trans am lol. or any combination of those 3...

the trans am is jsut called a trans am
    a formula is either reffered to as a formula or a firebird formula (which are the same, just differnet names)

and if anyone says firebird, its just a v6 model

BLACK
    2000 Camaro SS

Quote Originally Posted by ATCharming View Post
    yea, u kinda got it right...but theres really no such thing called a firebird formula trans am lol. or any combination of those 3...

the trans am is jsut called a trans am
    a formula is either reffered to as a formula or a firebird formula (which are the same, just differnet names)

and if anyone says firebird, its just a v6 model
    I disagree. All TransAms are Firebirds, all Formulas are Firebirds, just like all Z28s are Camaros.

Silver
    2000 Camaro SS

Quote Originally Posted by mbrownin View Post
    I disagree. All TransAms are Firebirds, all Formulas are Firebirds, just like all Z28s are Camaros.
    yea z28s are camaros... formulas are firebirds, but i think trans ams are firebirds. not firebird formulas...

my definition of formula is basically: sleeper firebird (obviously stock like that, not just a modded firebird, u know what i mean.)

trans am has its own look. its enough difference to notice in real life

Silver
    2000 Camaro SS

what i meant was, firebirds split 2 ways when they are upgraded. either a trans am or a formula. one is just an upgraded engine etc, the other is a different look with upgraded engine.

Black
    1998 Pontiac Trans Am A4

I agree that a Z28 is a Camaro, but I just don't like it when someone calls a Trans Am a Firebird even though it technically is. Stupid, right? I guess its because I associate Firebird with a less optioned V6 and a I associate Trans Am with loaded, V8. Back in the day, it didn't matter they were all V8's.

Silver
    2000 Camaro SS

Quote Originally Posted by vannatte View Post
    I agree that a Z28 is a Camaro, but I just don't like it when someone calls a Trans Am a Firebird even though it technically is. Stupid, right? I guess its because I associate Firebird with a less optioned V6 and a I associate Trans Am with loaded, V8. Back in the day, it didn't matter they were all V8's.

Red
    2002 TA WS6

is a trans am and a trans am formula the same thing?
    There seems to be a lot of misinformation here, and that could be due to the fact that these cars have been out of production for so long. The differences between the Formula and the standard Trans Am are essentially correct. The WS6 is actually a quite different car for the roughly $3000 additional price. For 2002 the WS6 had 15 more hp than the Trans Am (325 vs 310), the Ram Air hood and air box, stiffer springs and sway bars, a factory catback exhaust, a power steering cooler, and Goodyear F1 tires on special 17x9 rims. Having owned a standard Firebird, a 99' Trans Am, and now a 2002 WS6 I can say that each car is a uniquely different driving experience. Due to the fairly stiff suspension the WS6 really feels like a race car. Mine also has the GU6 option code= 3.42:1 performance axle ratio. Years prior to 2001 also had slightly less hp.

http://www.transamworld.com/2002-fir...ifications.php

Silver
    2000 Camaro SS

Quote Originally Posted by VTR99 View Post
    There seems to be a lot of misinformation here, and that could be due to the fact that these cars have been out of production for so long. The differences between the Formula and the standard Trans Am are essentially correct. The WS6 is actually a quite different car for the roughly $3000 additional price. For 2002 the WS6 had 15 more hp than the Trans Am (325 vs 310), the Ram Air hood and air box, stiffer springs and sway bars, a factory catback exhaust, a power steering cooler, and Goodyear F1 tires on special 17x9 rims. Having owned a standard Firebird, a 99' Trans Am, and now a 2002 WS6 I can say that each car is a uniquely different driving experience. Due to the fairly stiff suspension the WS6 really feels like a race car. Mine also has the GU6 option code= 3.42:1 performance axle ratio. Previous years also had slightly less hp.

http://www.transamworld.com/2002-fir...ifications.php
    sooo... what was said that was wrong?

Red
    2002 TA WS6

sooo... what was said that was wrong?
    Everything you have said has been helpful, but posts like this one add to the confusion:

The ram air hood and air box dont give and hp gain, the only things different between the WS6 and normal cars is it has less restrictive exhaust however it doesnt really add any hp gain, it has the ram air hood doesnt add any power and it has different suspension
    Obviously the WS6 gets it's extra 15hp somewhere...lol As many sources report it's really more like 40hp more than the stock TA. In my case I think the 3.42:1 gears make a big difference.

Silver
    2000 Camaro SS

Everything you have said has been helpful, but posts like this one add to the confusion:

Obviously the WS6 gets it's extra 15hp somewhere...lol As many sources report it's really more like 40hp more than the stock TA. In my case I think the 3.42:1 gears make a big difference.
    ohhhh i see.

BLACK
    2000 Camaro SS

First, the 3.42:1 gears came on every 6-speed Firebird, whether it was Formula, TransAm, WS6, Firehawk, etc.

The 15 extra HP came mainly from GM's marketing department.

Whoever said the WS6 got 40 more HP was yanking your chain big time.

blacker than wesleysnipes
    98' trans am

Quote Originally Posted by mbrownin View Post
    First, the 3.42:1 gears came on every 6-speed Firebird, whether it was Formula, TransAm, WS6, Firehawk, etc.

gm marketing at its best. who would buy the ws6 option if it was rated at the same numbers as a t/a

Red
    2002 TA WS6

Again, there is a lot of misinformation around, and it pays to do your own research. My car is an A4 and has the GU6 RPO code (3.42:1 axle). The 2002 Firehawk and SS Camaro were available with a factory 345 HP center mount exhaust option from SLP. The case has been made that the WS6 exhaust flows just as well. Either way, many of these cars are actually putting out more like 360 to 365 HP at the crank. As someone who spent nearly 10 years campaigning a 10 second big block Mopar at the drag strip, it's not hard to prove by the fact that many stock TA's run mid 13 second quarters at close to 110mph. This is simple math and physics. There is an endless number of articles on the subject of LS1's being underrated, so I suggest you do more research.

Silver
    2000 Camaro SS

Again, there is a lot of misinformation around, and it pays to do your own research. My car is an A4 and has the GU6 RPO code (3.42:1 axle). The 2002 Firehawk and SS Camaro were available with a factory 345 HP center mount exhaust option from SLP. The case has been made that the WS6 exhaust flows just as well. Either way, many of these cars are actually putting out more like 360 to 365 HP at the crank. As someone who spent nearly 10 years campaigning a 10 second big block Mopar at the drag strip, it's not hard to prove by the fact that many stock TA's run mid 13 second quarters at close to 110mph. This is simple math and physics. There is an endless number of articles on the subject of LS1's being underrated, so I suggest you do more research.
    gu6 is optional for an a4 but standard for manual.
    the firehawk is different than a ws6 and ur talking about an slp ss. both of which are rated at 345hp, and have the cme in the camro... but we're not talking about those models.

Red
    2002 TA WS6

gu6 is optional for an a4 but standard for manual.
    Yes, I well aware my car has the optional 3.42:1 gear ratio. I believe the 3.23:1 gears are also optional on the WS6 TA with A4.

but we're not talking about those models.
    Well we are now! The only thing different is the exhaust, and you would be hard pressed to prove the so called "Center mount exhaust" on those 2 cars rated at 345hp flows any better than the WS6 exhaust.

BLACK
    2000 Camaro SS

My car is an A4 and has the GU6 RPO code (3.42:1 axle).
    Ok, granted, if your A4 came with 3:42 gears, then that is the exception.

The 2002 Firehawk and SS Camaro were available with a factory 345 HP center mount exhaust option from SLP.
    If you're gonna accuse someone of not doing their research, maybe you'd better do your own. No such thing as a 345 hp SLP exhaust. Base 2002 SS's had 325 hp. Exhaust (optional on SS, maybe stock on Firehawk, not sure) added 10. Hi-perf lid added the other 10 in the 345 hp package.

Either way, many of these cars are actually putting out more like 360 to 365 HP at the crank. As someone who spent nearly 10 years campaigning a 10 second big block Mopar at the drag strip, it's not hard to prove by the fact that many stock TA's run mid 13 second quarters at close to 110mph. This is simple math and physics. There is an endless number of articles on the subject of LS1's being underrated, so I suggest you do more research.
    WTF does this have to do with my earlier post? I know they're underrated, never said otherwise. But GM DID overrate the difference between TransAms and WS6/Firehawks. A stock TransAm is just as likely to have 360ish crank hp as a WS6 or Firehawk. Still, if you think the WS6 has 40 hp more than a stock TransAm, you sir need to do a little research.

Navy Blue Metallic
    '00 Formy A4

Quote Originally Posted by M-Ten View Post
    the reason i asked is because i went onto autotrader and was checking out some trans ams for sale .. and some of them say Trans Am Formula or Trans Am/Formula .. so i wasn't sure what the difference was
    Yeah, they just list them like that so you'll get more hits in your search.

Most people don't really know what a Formula is, so they just lump them in together. You also get alot of V6's that pop up in those searches.

I noticed they do the same hting with Jeeps... you see alot of "Grand Cherokee Laredo Limited TSi ", when that's actually 3 different models.

V6 is the base car
    Trans Am has the V8 drivetrain and just about all the luxo options standard
    Formula is basically a base car with the V8 drivetrain

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread Information