Green
    2000 Trans Am

Question: What mods have been done?

What is the best way to find out what modifications have been done to my car? The previous owner died. His widow doesn't know anything about the car. His son in law said he thought a shift kit had been installed and supposedly a high performance chip. I have no idea about the cam or anything. Where do I start? Thanks!

Black & Blue
    '02 WS.6 / '07 Suburban

Welcome to the site!

If it has a "chip" that is the absolute first thing I would remove. All they do is attempt to fool the PCM into thinking that something else is going on in an attempt to make more power. If you can post pics of the engine bay and the underside of the car, we can identify most modifications and tell you what you have. A modified valve body will not show up in pics, but the shifts would be much firmer than stock and almost certainly noticeable as compared to a car without this upgrade (have any friends with LS1 A4 equipped cars?).

Navy Blue Metallic
    98 T/A w/ mods, 00 FBVert

I'll 2nd the dumping of the chip. Better off sending the ecm to Frost for a tune. His tune will wake it up, give better shift points for the A4.

Look at the cylinder heads. Anything that says Trickflow or some other brand name is aftermarket, if it has 317, 853, 243 or 241's those are stock GM heads. For your year you should see 241's. If you have 243's you have the best of GM stock heads.

Intake it would require you pulling it and looking for a part number of posting a pic. Common upgrade is the LS6 intake.

There are some things you can do with the stock heads to improve them, better springs, trunion upgrade for the rockers. Those you would have to pull the valve cover to see. Both those would be strong indicators that a cam was installed.

Another easier way would be to post a video clip. If it is cam, most of here would be able to tell by the sound. Cammed LSx's have a unique sound.
    http://www.ls1.com/forums/f7/my-6-liter-build-174257/

http://www.ls1.com/forums/f8/my-8-8-rear-build-165553/

6.0L Block - Forged 403ci , Polluter Stg3 Cam, FAST 102mm Intake, NW102 TB, MSD wires, NGK TR6 plugs, Truck Coil Packs, LS3 Fuel Injectors, CC Pacesetter LT Headers, TS&P ORY, QTP e-Cutout, Magnaflow Muffler, 104mm Air Lid & Line Lock, Catch Can, Stage 2 T56 w/Viper shaft, PRO 5.0 Shifter, Tick MC, SPEC Stg3+ Clutch, QT SFI BH, MWC DSL, Full UMI Performance Suspension, Belstein Shocks, Hotchkis Springs (1" Drop), YR1 Snowflake Wheels wrapped in NT555 tires & Custom Fab Ford 8.8 rear w/Wavetrac Diff 3.73 Yukon Gears, WSQ Hood, 3"CM Strange Eng Drive Shaft.

00 FB Vert - Stock

78 FB - Just getting started......

Horsepower never lies, but is often lied about!

Green
    2000 Trans Am

Thanks!

Maple Red Metallic
    2001 T/A

A4 - shift kit w/Frost Tune here.
    Definitely noticeable when she shifts. High shift points, much more precise/harder change. We still have that little "lag" but not as it was before the kit & tune.
    With that being said.......we still need 3200-3400 stall (and another tune) to get all we can from these A4's
    As Jeff said, hard to determine if a kit has been added.
    Just my 2 cents.

Scott,
    I thought 2001-2002's had the LS6 intake? No EGR would be one way to tell?
    Last edited by Nutball; 06-21-2015 at 07:51 AM.

Thread Information