Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Black
    2000 WS6 Trans AM

Question regarding which year T/A to buy

Now that I am back from my most recent ban I wanted to ask your opinions on which year T/A to buy. I'm looking to make a purchase in May sometime and I already know I am going to be modding it (heads, cam, full bolt-ons) right when I get it, if its stock. Seeing as different ears came with different intakes cams etc...does it really matter what year if I'm doing all these mods? I don't thinks so but I may be wrong?

Black
    2000 WS6 Trans AM

ears, lol...i meant cars

sold: 1999 firebird
    1998 Trans Am

eh, everyones going to tell you to get an 01-02,

Blackshirt Member SactownHuskers's Avatar

Black
    2001 Trans Am WS6 M6

Anything 98 or newer will work if you're doing a bunch of modding. I wouldn't worry about looking for anything special. For example, everything that makes a Formula or WS6 is what you will be modding on your car it sounds like. I'd go with a solid 98 or newer car. Any LS1 is gonna be a solid base to build on so i'd save money on the car by going with a base T/A rather than A Formula or WS6 and save more money for modding.
    Half cocked, Full Throttle!
    2001 Black Trans Am WS6 M6
    1986 383 Stroker Red Chevrolet Camaro
    2006 Blue Kawasaki ZX6R 636

Black
    2000 WS6 Trans AM

I plan on going with an LS1 and I have my eye on a nice stock 98 but I also have an eye on an 05 GTO-we shall see what I end up with...couldn't hurt to get a few opinions on the T/A though

navy blue matallic
    2000 WS6 trans am M6

the computers on a 98 are different then 99 and up and are hard to tune so i have heard so id go with a 2000 and up imo tho

Navy Blue Metallic
    `98 Formula M6 HdTp

Quote Originally Posted by ultra_badass View Post
    the computers on a 98 are different then 99 and up and are hard to tune so i have heard so id go with a 2000 and up imo tho
    `98 PCM are different but nothing a reputable tuner couldn't handle.

An LS1 is an LS1 is an LS1, just get the best car for the money.
    Craig
    Semi Retired Street Racer
    2012 Lava Red Mustang GT Coupe Brembo/3.73's
    Build Date 3/17/11, Last Lava Red GT

Gone but not forgoten
    NBM `98 Formula M6 HdTp
    1 of 1 Build Date 3/12/98

Light Pewter Metallic
    2001 Camaro SS

Quote Originally Posted by 1998 T/A View Post
    Now that I am back from my most recent ban I wanted to ask your opinions on which year T/A to buy. I'm looking to make a purchase in May sometime and I already know I am going to be modding it (heads, cam, full bolt-ons) right when I get it, if its stock. Seeing as different ears came with different intakes cams etc...does it really matter what year if I'm doing all these mods? I don't thinks so but I may be wrong?
    save yourself some money and buy one what already has the mods

Navy Blue
    2013 ZL1

Go with the one with the lowest miles and more importantly one that was someones baby. You want one that was taken care of. Even if they beat on it as long as it was maintained these cars can take a beating. remember when you're looking that all 2001 and 2002 TAs have a LS6 intake stock but there are some 2002 TAs that came with the LS6 block because GM ran out of the LS1 that year.The LS6 casting number is located on the top rear edge of the block and is 12561168. It doesn't really matter about the block it doesn't get any more horse power.

Custom Swirly Black
    2001 WS6 M6

Quote Originally Posted by 2001camaroSS View Post
    save yourself some money and buy one what already has the mods
    Wouldn't!

Best conditioned car for the dollar would be my choice with those mods in mind.

lower mile 98-00 > higher mile 01-02 IMO (assuming conditon is equal)

Whats your budget for the car purchase?

Light Pewter Metallic
    2001 Camaro SS

Quote Originally Posted by KMdef9 View Post
    Wouldn't!

Best conditioned car for the dollar would be my choice with those mods in mind.

lower mile 98-00 > higher mile 01-02 IMO (assuming conditon is equal)

Whats your budget for the car purchase?
    you can find a car that hasn't been beat to piss with those mods. just have to be extremely cautious and inspect thoroughly.

Custom Swirly Black
    2001 WS6 M6

you can find a car that hasn't been beat to piss with those mods. just have to be extremely cautious and inspect thoroughly.
    I think too extreme for a non- ls1 gearhead to see. I've seen some people hide alot of sh1t.

Would you MOD your car that heavy and not beat the piss out of it? lol.

Light Pewter Metallic
    2001 Camaro SS

Quote Originally Posted by KMdef9 View Post
    I think too extreme for a non- ls1 gearhead to see. I've seen some people hide alot of sh1t.

Would you MOD your car that heavy and not beat the piss out of it? lol.
    i dont beat the piss out of my cars but that's just how I am. i think in certain circumstances you could find a quality car that has had some quality mods done that hasn't been beat.

Impounded
    i dont beat the piss out of my cars but that's just how I am. i think in certain circumstances you could find a quality car that has had some quality mods done that hasn't been beat.
    most people dont take care of sports car (well anything actually)...theyre normally beat to hell...
    exspecially now that teenagers are getting their hands on them
    my car...personally is spotless and i even live on a gravel road.
    i get shit all the time cuz i wont let ppl ride in the back seat.
    mine was rough but with a little TLC and $ she looks purdy.
    so yes an already modded ls1 would save you money
    HOWEVER...95% of the time it will be beat/ran to hell...
    save yourself some trouble...get a stock LOW miles babied car

Pewter Metallic
    2000 Pontiac Trans Am WS6

I treated all my T/As in the past like babies,as I treat the current one I own,but a few times I think they all need 2 be opened up every once in a while,I was never hard on cars but I agree with a lot of ppl on this forum 99 times out of 100 a lot of sports cars get the step child treatment,it took me a long time to find a decent T/A when I was looking for a 98-02 Camaro or Trans Am because a lot of them were tore up either mechanically or appearance wise if I were u I would defetnitly get any decent 98-02 T/A dont waste your time with the cars that have been mistreated,because before u can mod it youll be spending money elsewhere

Impounded
    Quote Originally Posted by fbodyNATION View Post
    I treated all my T/As in the past like babies,as I treat the current one I own,but a few times I think they all need 2 be opened up every once in a while,I was never hard on cars but I agree with a lot of ppl on this forum 99 times out of 100 a lot of sports cars get the step child treatment,it took me a long time to find a decent T/A when I was looking for a 98-02 Camaro or Trans Am because a lot of them were tore up either mechanically or appearance wise if I were u I would defetnitly get any decent 98-02 T/A dont waste your time with the cars that have been mistreated,because before u can mod it youll be spending money elsewhere
    This. Ive spent enough money on TLC relAted purposes to buy a procharger and she still isnt showroom ready yet...

To be honest it really doesnt matter. The 98-00 cars have a slightly more agressive cam while the 01-02's have the ls6 and better flowing manifolds. In the end who keeps their ls1 stock? Just try to find one that hasnt been beaten to hell with lower milage. I got mine with 20,000 miles back in 2008. Like someone else said I would try to find one with the bolt ons already done. Especially one with long tube headers, what a pain those were to install. Took 9 hours with the motor mounts.

Navy Blue Metallic
    98 T/A w/ mods, 00 FBVert

Op, just my .02 cents....

Buying a car that has mods already done - Who did the work? How good is the work? Quality of parts? How dogged out is the car? Was it taken care of or just a quick wipe down and some polish?

Some mod cars that were like Mr. Lous car, I would had jumped on if I had the $$$ because you can see how good the work that was done and how he took care of it.

Some mod cars I would crush just to get the eye sore off the roads.

When taken on a build it's important to do your research. Map it out. Ask questions. When looking for a car be realistic in what your getting. Look it over, because once title changes it becomes your problem. It sucks to get a great looking car and then find out it has a shitty engine or a tranny about to go out.

When I got mine, I looked at everything. I want and still do a Firehawk, but I ended up getting a stock T/A. If I had gotten a WS6 I would have taken most of the stuff off that made it a WS6 except for the hood because I've been upgrading.

Custom Swirly Black
    2001 WS6 M6

Quote Originally Posted by SMWS6TA View Post

Buying a car that has mods already done - Who did the work? How good is the work? Quality of parts? How dogged out is the car? Was it taken care of or just a quick wipe down and some polish?
    This is my point. Without a near tear down, you'll never now how bad somethings are.

People mod their cars to go faster and drive harder, not to become garage queens. Faster is harder on your car, doesn't matter what you do, there's always a weakest point. This is why I would simply avoid, buying a heavy modded car, b/c there's too much to look for.

Pewter metallic
    2000 Camaro SS

I always tend to avoid the first year, 98 in this case, but in the grand scheme of things, the differences are not that great between the years. The 98s do have more obstacles to deal with, but nothing that would stop me from buying a 98 for the right price.

Thread Information