white
    1999 Trans am WS6

Question regarding SLP loudmouth and stock exhaust

Hello all,

I'm in the process of redoing the exhaust on my trans am. I'm doing this piecemeal, but I'm looking to go with an SLP loudmouth.

Jegs has a full catback kit for 429. However, I've found the loudmouth muffler itself online for 79 bucks with a 3" In/out. I'm unfamiliar with the stock trans am exhaust setup, (both diameter of pipe etc.) so I'm unsure if that'll be something that can be made to work on the existing setup. I did a search but pretty much everyone's doing the whole catback. is it really recommended to do the whole catback? I'll be doing the cat to a high flow cat separately.

Thanks,
    Bez

Pewter
    2002 Trans Am WS6 M6

The stock exhaust is very restrictive especially the y-pipe area. I would replace the entire system and not try to work in aftermarket stuff into the stock exhaust. If your paying 79 for it I would guess its the loudmouth 1 and not the loudmouth 2. In alot of the guys opinions the LM1 is probably one of the worst sounding mufflers out there especially if your gonna do a full exhaust including long tube headers.
    Last edited by raynor139; 02-28-2011 at 02:16 PM.

white
    1999 Trans am WS6

I was thinking of getting the loudmouth 1 yes. I've done some listening and it sounds decent, but I did read that complaint quite often about once a full set of long tubes/ORY is on. I'm in NYC so I'm not sure if I'll be doing lt's and an ORY, and I need my cats for inspection (curse you odbII).

That was what I was afraid of though stock pipe wise. If I go with the full catback and the LM1 becomes too obnoxious after headers and whatnot I can just get an LM2 and it'll slip right on, but if I decide to switch from SLP to another style it's an entire waste of a catback. (Hence why for now I'm wondering if it just makes sense to just get the LM1 and make due with it for now.) Regardless the stock muffler needs to go.... Missing its balls except at WOT. :P

Quote Originally Posted by raynor139 View Post
    The stock exhaust is very restrictive especially the y-pipe area. I would replace the entire system and not try to work in aftermarket stuff into the stock exhaust. If your paying 79 for it I would guess its the loudmouth 1 and not the loudmouth 2. In alot of the guys opinions the LM1 is probably one of the worst sounding mufflers out there especially if your gonna do a full exhaust including long tube headers.
    Thats not true. It sounds great with high flow cats and long tube headers. In my opinion of course haha

sold: 1999 firebird
    1998 Trans Am

I have it with stock pipes, sounds fine, doesnt drone, no rasp..

I do hate it with headers and full exhaust though, a friend of mine had that setup.

now greybat66

Red
    1998 trans am

cool another ny trans am owner

white
    1999 Trans am WS6

Quote Originally Posted by purplebat66 View Post
    cool another ny trans am owner
    Yup! Finally got some time and cash to put into the trans am.

Navy Blue Metallic
    '00 Formy A4

Don't pay 429 for that. I just saw the LM 1&2 on sale for 350 including shipping.

Quote Originally Posted by StuntmanMike View Post
    Don't pay 429 for that. I just saw the LM 1&2 on sale for 350 including shipping.
    Can you pm me the link

sunset orange metallic
    2002 T/A convertible

Hey man, I have a stock exhaust with a LM I on the car since it was practically new. Went to SLP in Toms River, NJ and had them install it. Don't remember what it cost, somewhere around $450, I think. It sounds awesome to me, real loud on initial start-up, then quiets down until you carpet the loud pedal. My car "gets on the pipes" around 2000 rpm, which sounds really great going thru a tunnel or beteen close buildings!!

Thread Information