Results 1 to 19 of 19

Question about gauge cluster...

This is a discussion on Question about gauge cluster... within the Firebird / WS6 forums, part of the Vehicle Specific category; ok here's a little short story before the question....i currently have the stock Trans Am gauge cluster(black) in my 02 ...

  1. #1
    Sleeper Brad(WS/Z0.6)'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Auburndale, FL
    Posts
    225

    Black
    2002 Pontiac Trans Am WS6

    Question about gauge cluster...

    ok here's a little short story before the question....i currently have the stock Trans Am gauge cluster(black) in my 02 WS6. I recently had the stock LS1 dropped, gutted and re-equiped with everything from a ZO6 vette. (Cam, crank, rods, lifters, bearings, you name it, i switched it...so now i obviously have almost twice the HP & torque that i used to...my question is...can i also pull the gauges from a vette and put them in my car?? right now the gauges read 155...like all TA's..but it goes faster than that. I had no problem reaching the 150 mark and when shot with the radar, i was up to 170...i know that the car is faster than the gauges allow which is why i'm wondering about the vette's gauges since they read 200...anyone know if this is possible???

  2. #2
    War Machine BIG GUNS's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    St. Louis MO.
    Age
    53
    Posts
    2,100

    Black
    00 Trans Am/Auto

    They stopped doing the mod from what the guy told me on the phone but, if they had more interest in it, they might do a few more. Takes time and you have to send in your cluster to them.

    http://www.granatellimotorsports.com...ay.php?gid=302

    Just call them on the phone and negotiate something with them as they are open to that.

  3. #3
    Sleeper Brad(WS/Z0.6)'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Auburndale, FL
    Posts
    225

    Black
    2002 Pontiac Trans Am WS6

    Quote Originally Posted by BIG GUNS View Post
    They stopped doing the mod from what the guy told me on the phone but, if they had more interest in it, they might do a few more. Takes time and you have to send in your cluster to them.

    http://www.granatellimotorsports.com...ay.php?gid=302

    Just call them on the phone and negotiate something with them as they are open to that.
    Thanks for the link..i'll try it out..

  4. #4
    Sleeper Brad(WS/Z0.6)'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Auburndale, FL
    Posts
    225

    Black
    2002 Pontiac Trans Am WS6

    Quote Originally Posted by BIG GUNS View Post
    They stopped doing the mod from what the guy told me on the phone but, if they had more interest in it, they might do a few more. Takes time and you have to send in your cluster to them.

    http://www.granatellimotorsports.com...ay.php?gid=302

    Just call them on the phone and negotiate something with them as they are open to that.
    wow..i just took a look at them..i didn't realize that you could modify your original to read 200..thought u had to switch it..awesome!!! thanks for that!!

  5. #5
    War Machine BIG GUNS's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    St. Louis MO.
    Age
    53
    Posts
    2,100

    Black
    00 Trans Am/Auto

    Quote Originally Posted by Brad(WS/Z0.6) View Post
    wow..i just took a look at them..i didn't realize that you could modify your original to read 200..thought u had to switch it..awesome!!! thanks for that!!
    No problem. Hope it all works out. They stopped modifying them so, you will def want to talk them into doing it for you.

  6. #6
    Member BirdCountry02's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Virginia
    Age
    29
    Posts
    676

    Maple Red Metallic
    2002 Trans Am M6

    Quote Originally Posted by Brad(WS/Z0.6) View Post
    ok here's a little short story before the question....i currently have the stock Trans Am gauge cluster(black) in my 02 WS6. I recently had the stock LS1 dropped, gutted and re-equiped with everything from a ZO6 vette. (Cam, crank, rods, lifters, bearings, you name it, i switched it...so now i obviously have almost twice the HP & torque that i used to...my question is...can i also pull the gauges from a vette and put them in my car?? right now the gauges read 155...like all TA's..but it goes faster than that. I had no problem reaching the 150 mark and when shot with the radar, i was up to 170...i know that the car is faster than the gauges allow which is why i'm wondering about the vette's gauges since they read 200...anyone know if this is possible???
    sorry for bein nosey, but how much did that set you back? and where did you have it worked on? sounds like it'd be bad ass. you gotten it dynoed yet?

  7. #7
    War Machine BIG GUNS's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    St. Louis MO.
    Age
    53
    Posts
    2,100

    Black
    00 Trans Am/Auto

    Quote Originally Posted by BirdCountry02 View Post
    sorry for bein nosey, but how much did that set you back? and where did you have it worked on? sounds like it'd be bad ass. you gotten it dynoed yet?
    Exactly. What does he have in it right now that will blow it past 200mph? There is a post on here for fastest speed in an F-body but, not too many can claim 200mph in it.

    LS6 intake, throttle body and MAF. And then?

  8. #8
    Member BirdCountry02's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Virginia
    Age
    29
    Posts
    676

    Maple Red Metallic
    2002 Trans Am M6

    Quote Originally Posted by BIG GUNS View Post
    Exactly. What does he have in it right now that will blow it past 200mph? There is a post on here for fastest speed in an F-body but, not too many can claim 200mph in it.

    LS6 intake, throttle body and MAF. And then?
    yeah, thats exactly what i was wonderin. another thing, i have an 02 and i've read that my ls1 already has the ls6 intake installed. that true? so all i'd really needs the TB and MAF? when i have the money i wanna upgrade engine parts and try to get 450 hp outta the red dragon without adding forced induction but how much would need modded?
    Last edited by BirdCountry02; 01-16-2009 at 07:58 PM.

  9. #9
    Member BirdCountry02's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Virginia
    Age
    29
    Posts
    676

    Maple Red Metallic
    2002 Trans Am M6

    also they have 200 mph gauge clusters on our sponser http://www.granatellimotorsports.com/. go to the 98-02 f-bod section and you should find it. only problems it comes in the camaro backlighting, but for a 200mph cluster it'd be worth it if you can use it. i don't know bout you guys but i love the firebird red backlighting

  10. #10
    Sleeper Brad(WS/Z0.6)'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Auburndale, FL
    Posts
    225

    Black
    2002 Pontiac Trans Am WS6

    Quote Originally Posted by BirdCountry02 View Post
    sorry for bein nosey, but how much did that set you back? and where did you have it worked on? sounds like it'd be bad ass. you gotten it dynoed yet?
    The whole swap beginning to end cost me just under $10,000...the motor came straight out of the crate before it was put into one of the Z06's...the guy that worked on it was a trans. shop that i knew pretty well and they agreed to let me use their lift for a while...he knew alot of people from the GM factory in Michigan so i got a pretty sweet deal...normally the motor would have cost about twice that..but i'm lookin for time to take it to the dyno..i've been really busy lately.....but i wanted to get the gauges switched so i can see how close to 200 i can get...i'm not sure if it will make it that far but i know i will blow right past 150...i took it out the other night and got the needle to touch the end no problem...i'm tryin to get some pictures up soon...

  11. #11
    Member BirdCountry02's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Virginia
    Age
    29
    Posts
    676

    Maple Red Metallic
    2002 Trans Am M6

    yeah dude, post up some pics. sounds like its kinda pricey but worth it. i can't afford that with a kid ha ha, but i'm going to try to build my ls1 as much as possible. yours done to z06 specs sounds killer though. great job!

  12. #12
    Sleeper Brad(WS/Z0.6)'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Auburndale, FL
    Posts
    225

    Black
    2002 Pontiac Trans Am WS6

    Quote Originally Posted by BirdCountry02 View Post
    yeah dude, post up some pics. sounds like its kinda pricey but worth it. i can't afford that with a kid ha ha, but i'm going to try to build my ls1 as much as possible. yours done to z06 specs sounds killer though. great job!
    thanks!! as soon as i can get my camera back from the shop =[..the internals got messed up but i should have it back soon...if not then i'll just use my phone or somethin...i was iffy about payin all that just to go faster but in the long run i think it will be worth it...good luck on buildin yours...hope everything goes well...keep me posted if you do anything...i'd like to see what you're able to do with it...& i'll do the same..

  13. #13
    Member BirdCountry02's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Virginia
    Age
    29
    Posts
    676

    Maple Red Metallic
    2002 Trans Am M6

    Quote Originally Posted by Brad(WS/Z0.6) View Post
    thanks!! as soon as i can get my camera back from the shop =[..the internals got messed up but i should have it back soon...if not then i'll just use my phone or somethin...i was iffy about payin all that just to go faster but in the long run i think it will be worth it...good luck on buildin yours...hope everything goes well...keep me posted if you do anything...i'd like to see what you're able to do with it...& i'll do the same..
    cool, will do. i just have an exhaust and volant intake. plus i upgraded to a ram air hood, so mines a ws7. but if i upgrade or mod my engine i'll let you know. i wanna get the red dragon dynoed to see what i can do with the stock ls1 from where it is to its true potential. i'm in love with these engines and these cars, i'll probably buy another TA. i've never loved driving a car so much. plus i kinda want a black ws6, but i gotta convince the wife haha

  14. #14
    Sleeper Brad(WS/Z0.6)'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Auburndale, FL
    Posts
    225

    Black
    2002 Pontiac Trans Am WS6

    Quote Originally Posted by BirdCountry02 View Post
    cool, will do. i just have an exhaust and volant intake. plus i upgraded to a ram air hood, so mines a ws7. but if i upgrade or mod my engine i'll let you know. i wanna get the red dragon dynoed to see what i can do with the stock ls1 from where it is to its true potential. i'm in love with these engines and these cars, i'll probably buy another TA. i've never loved driving a car so much. plus i kinda want a black ws6, but i gotta convince the wife haha
    haha..thats the hard part...lol...one more TA never hurt anyone..especially a black one...i'm looking to get a new set of wheels next tho..any ideas of what might look good???

  15. #15
    Member BirdCountry02's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Virginia
    Age
    29
    Posts
    676

    Maple Red Metallic
    2002 Trans Am M6

    Quote Originally Posted by Brad(WS/Z0.6) View Post
    haha..thats the hard part...lol...one more TA never hurt anyone..especially a black one...i'm looking to get a new set of wheels next tho..any ideas of what might look good???
    personally, i really want some c6 replicas. i think they resemble the stock ta rims enough to compliment them, but you can also get em staggered which is a plus for me. i like the bigger out back look. the ttii's look real good, but are kinda pricey. it's what lous got on his if you come across his pics in the show us your bird forum. its all an opinion on what price range, size, style, and color you wanna go for. i'm kinda partial to blackin out my mrm right now. i think the 2 shades of red(mrm, and the taillight red) clash and i think an all black c6 rim would look good on mine. what are you lookin for in your rims?

  16. #16
    Auto Painter RyanJM's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Houston, TX
    Age
    41
    Posts
    2,002

    White
    1998 Trans Am

    Quote Originally Posted by BirdCountry02 View Post
    yeah, thats exactly what i was wonderin. another thing, i have an 02 and i've read that my ls1 already has the ls6 intake installed. that true? so all i'd really needs the TB and MAF? when i have the money i wanna upgrade engine parts and try to get 450 hp outta the red dragon without adding forced induction but how much would need modded?
    That's about what I was looking for outta my motor(auto). I got just over 345 RWHP with long tubes, ORY, SLP Power flo catback, Volant, P&P TB,Ls6 intake, ASP pulleys, Granetelli Mass Air, 160 degree stat, modified aftermarket WS6 hood. The guy at the shop I go to said I should break 400 when I have my cam done and should be around 450 when I have the heads done. Last 150 shot of NOS(just incase) and I should be good to go.
    1998 Trans Am 85k miles.
    Bolt ons, MS3 113LSA cam, Circle D Stall, Tune, Modified WS6 style hood, Full Suspension, 6000k HID's, Clear Side Markers w/ Leds, Led 3rd Brake Light and 18" AR Staggered Killer Wheels w/ BFG KDW NT's.- Weekend Toy/DD
    02 Trailblazer -Sold
    09 Ram 1500 CC - Sold
    09 Cobalt SS/TC - Sold
    13 ram 1500 LoneStar CC 4x4 - Magnaflow, K&N,and more to come-DD/Toy

  17. #17
    Member BirdCountry02's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Virginia
    Age
    29
    Posts
    676

    Maple Red Metallic
    2002 Trans Am M6

    yeah i'm thinkin 450 should be an easy goal just building the stock engine. once you do exhaust intake cylinder heads tb and maf it should put it up there. and you can tweak it to get it closer tuning and adding on smaller hp upgrades

  18. #18
    Sleeper Brad(WS/Z0.6)'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Auburndale, FL
    Posts
    225

    Black
    2002 Pontiac Trans Am WS6

    Quote Originally Posted by BirdCountry02 View Post
    personally, i really want some c6 replicas. i think they resemble the stock ta rims enough to compliment them, but you can also get em staggered which is a plus for me. i like the bigger out back look. the ttii's look real good, but are kinda pricey. it's what lous got on his if you come across his pics in the show us your bird forum. its all an opinion on what price range, size, style, and color you wanna go for. i'm kinda partial to blackin out my mrm right now. i think the 2 shades of red(mrm, and the taillight red) clash and i think an all black c6 rim would look good on mine. what are you lookin for in your rims?
    well, to be honest i was actually first attracted to the c6's myself...i thought about it for a while and looked around some more...i also am a fan of the ttii's..i'm just lookin for a solid chrome rim that will make th car stand out..not just a nice rim that shines..but one that will emphasize the cars curves...sort of compliment the body...but i think my decision will be between the c6's and the ttii's....

  19. #19
    Member BirdCountry02's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Virginia
    Age
    29
    Posts
    676

    Maple Red Metallic
    2002 Trans Am M6

    good call. those both are nice

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. Question: Gauge Cluster question
    By SteveCZ28 in forum Stereo and Electronics
    Replies: 24
    Last Post: 08-01-2014, 02:38 PM
  2. temp gauge isnt working and dash cluster question
    By laserredgt in forum General Help
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 07-06-2010, 07:09 PM
  3. wtb 98 gauge cluster for t/a
    By outtacontrol750 in forum Parts Wanted / Trade
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 08-08-2008, 08:26 AM
  4. Gauge cluster.
    By 20WS601 in forum General Help
    Replies: 11
    Last Post: 01-08-2008, 08:57 AM
  5. What SS gauge cluster is this ?
    By jclm24v in forum Camaro / SS
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 11-15-2006, 09:40 PM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •