Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Pulling the trigger!

This is a discussion on Pulling the trigger! within the Firebird / WS6 forums, part of the Vehicle Specific category; thanks man! pulled the pcm today and will be mailing it off tomorrow. Gonna start this weekend on everything else!!!!!!!...

Black
    2002 firebird T/A WS6-A4

thanks man! pulled the pcm today and will be mailing it off tomorrow. Gonna start this weekend on everything else!!!!!!!

Red
    '68 Camaro RS, '11 Camaro

So it begins.....lol. Good luck!

Black
    2002 firebird T/A WS6-A4

Alright, it finally started! Tore into it for about 3 hours today. Volant cold air intake is all installed except for MAF and air filters. After installing I noticed that the volant intake hole is not centered with the throttle body and MAF once the MAF is hooked up. Anybody else running into this issue. Also when installing the filters and the MAF, I'm having an issue where the filter assembly has too much of an angle on it to allow it to slide thru the hole on the intake when the filters are installed. As for the exhaust, everything is prepped except for the actual removal due to me not having a sawzall. Coil packs are off, manifolds are all unbolted.. started has been dropped, and tubing for airpump system has all been removed. Question with the air system: the valve at the rear driver's side of the motor pulls vacuum from a device slightly forward of it (not sure what it is called).. I need to know if it can be removed or stay? Also where do you plug the vacuum once the valve is removed. Tomorrow I plan on removing the remainder of the exhaust from the vehilce, swapping motor mounts, and re-installing the new exhaust. Question on new exhaust: I have an ORY from BBK that has the threaded holes for rear O2 censors. Frost will be tuning my rear O2 censors out. Do I need to plug these holes or can I use the rear O2s I currently have and not hook them up? AS of now, this is all I have for questions. If anybody has run into this issue before and can assist me in this, it would be greatly appreciated. Will update soon.
    2002 Trans Am WS.6 A-4:
    Volant CAI, BBK LTs, BBK ORY, SLP LM2, FROST Tune, A/C Heat Delete, AIR Delete

Super Moderator

Black & Blue
    '02 WS.6 / '07 Suburban

You can buy plugs from Jegs and lots of other places for a few bucks.

Black
    2002 firebird T/A WS6-A4

I figured, Hopefully there is a local place that has em.

Red

I forgot the exact setup on the back of the intake, but you will have a vac line for your heater controls, and one other line. I forgot what the second one is. The line that gets pulled out for the AIR is between your heater line and the line to the MAP sensor. Once the AIR is removed, you should be able to connect the two remaning lines directly.
    As for the intake, mine lined up perfectly. Is it possible you have the brackets crossed?
    LS6 2.5 heads, OBX LT's, LM1, MS3 cam, 12 bolt Moser, Koni 4/4's, UMI EVERYTHING!
    My build thread:http://www.ls1.com/forums/f36/patient-ready-123827/
    My Halloween Forum http://www.hauntersnation.com

Black
    2002 firebird T/A WS6-A4

Well I sure hope not.... no i got the long one on the right and the L on the left. Lol was just about to type lined up perfectly to the bolt holes and remembered that the stoker uses four and the volant uses two... prolly have em offset, Will ckeck today when i get over there. As for the Vaccum situation im look into what you mentioned MrKid.

Red

The brackets sound right. Here's a shot of mine:

Black
    2002 firebird T/A WS6-A4

Yours is like mine!!!! the right side touches the box but the left doesn't, well mine doesn't anymore. Trimmed the hole with a dremmel so that the intake pipe lined up better with the MAF. So that problem is fixed. Couple of new issues though. First deals with my starter. My buddy took it off the other day and swears that there was three connections. There are three studs on the starter. BUT.... there are only two wires with ring connectors hanging down. Now i crawled underneath and looked, there are to wire looms that run down near the starter. one carries the positive and ground from the battery. The positive has a ring connector for the starter and the ground runs to the side of the block. The other carries the passenger side front O2 wires and two more wire sets. One has a ring connector on it and the other has a two wire female connection on the end of it. After seeing this i figured that the female connection had a male connection counterpart for it that would have a ring connector on the other end of it but my buddy swears that he didnt unplug any connections, just undid the nuts on the three studs on the starter. So I'm a little lost as to what is going on with that, any help would be great. Second issue deals with my LM2 and BBK ORY. The pipe that SLP provides to mount the Y-Pipe to the Resonator Is the same size exactly as the BBK ORY.... So ya gonna have to fab something up there. Also on the passenger side of the rear pipe assy. there is a bolt bracket welded to the pipe. Yet the stocker has metal rods that side into a rubber gromet. So im also gonna need to fab something up there.

On a nicer note, the motor mounts, headers, AIR delete, Y-Pipe and CAI are all complete! The Passenger side motor mount was a breeze, the driver's side was a pain. I did them one at a time, and bolted the clamshell to the block and then lowered the motor back down into the bracket. This didnt work so well for the driver's side. I had to loosen the clamshell bolts as well as the bracket bolts on the K-frame. After some elbow grease it finally aloud the long bolt to slide through the bracket and clam shell. As for the headers they are an awesome fit, along with the Y-Pipe.

Set torque to 10NM intially then went to 20NM on the header bolts. Does this sound right to everyone?

As for the vaccum situation i picked up some 1/8" vaccum plugs at autozone and plugged the port that the short vaccum line plugs into that runs frome the AIR system valve.

Waiting on the PCM to get back from FROST before i push ahead, didnt get mailed out till friday so itll prolly be a couple days before i see it. Let me know what you guys think about the issues ive got, im open to all ideas on em.

Red

Okay, I see what you mean on the intake now. I thought your box was off center, not the filters themselves. I think on mine, at least in this picture, the filters themselves were crooked but the mount is centered. As you drive, you'll see that they can wiggle back and forth a little bit.
    As for your starter, I have a feeling one stud had two wires with a nut holding eaach one againt the other. I could be thinking of another car though...lol.
    For your pipes, you could always get a pipe expander so you can slide one pipe inside the other.
    The motor mounts are a PITA! I did mine after installing my new k-member, so I had more room to get in there. It's gotta be brutal with the stock unit in there. BTW...where the hell are the pics?!

Black
    2002 firebird T/A WS6-A4

LOL ya i know, when the pcm gets back in ima take the wifey's camera up there and snap some pics, and once complete ill def post up a video.

Got some time today so ima dig through some other header installs and see if i can get anywhere with my starter issue.

Super Moderator

Black & Blue
    '02 WS.6 / '07 Suburban

Pic from my recent tranny swap -- the tiny wire goes to the small top lug and the large wire goes to the lug in the foreground. Only 2 connections. The wire in the background, although it appears to go to the starter, is actually the oil level sender harness.

Black
    2002 firebird T/A WS6-A4

Ya i dug up smittro's starter rebuild thread last night and pulled some pics of my starter off google. aparently that third lug hols a wire that runs off the starter body itself. Ima have my buddy take a look at it tonight and confirm that wire is there cause i cant remember. As for the oil lever sender that is located at the back of the oil pan correct?

Super Moderator

Black & Blue
    '02 WS.6 / '07 Suburban

Passenger side of the pan. In the pic it is the yellowish hexagonal plastic thing directly above the starter.

Black
    2002 firebird T/A WS6-A4

Just got the pcm back today so later on ima head over and drop in in, also gonna look into the starter deal and make sure everything checks out. Never did call him to take a look at it. If thats checks out all ill have left to do is button up the exhaust and itll be good to go!!!!!!

Black
    2002 firebird T/A WS6-A4

Got the PCM and the starter all back in, starter checked out. Thanks for all the info on that guys. My buddy was able to resize that pipe too so thats all good. Only thing left is to button up the exhaust and figure out how ima hang the passenger side tail pipe to the stock hanger. Should be back oveR there sunday to finish it off. Wife's relatives are flying in to look at houses so ill be oFf doing that and taking a trip to sea world inbetween.

Black
    2002 firebird T/A WS6-A4

here are some pics i snapped yester day, the driver's side one sux and yes i know, she needs a bath bad!!!!

Red

Looking good! I forgot how nice the Volant looks when it's new. lol

Black
    2002 firebird T/A WS6-A4

it is sexy , ima try to get over there later tonight and button up the exhaust. Doc appt yeterday put my hand in a cast from the first bend in the fingers clear back to just before my elbow. so this ouught to make hangin my exhaust pretty interesting....

Black
    2002 firebird T/A WS6-A4

well ill start off by saying this..... PITA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! not only because of my hand but the exhaust kit itself wasnt quite the direct fit it was supposed to be. Got it all together save the drivers side exhaust tip, tying up the excess O2 wires, and putting the hood back on. Did get a chance to fire it up though. Sounds like a grizzly bear with a handle bar mustache and a one eyed saber toothed cat got in a bar knuckle boxing match. that badass!! took a couple mins for the computer to relearn what it needed an after that she was purring. hopefully sunday ill get some drive time after i button it up and really see how it responds to the mods

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread Information