Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Pros and cons on cut outs

This is a discussion on Pros and cons on cut outs within the Firebird / WS6 forums, part of the Vehicle Specific category; Yea I'm not lookin for 4 xtra horsepower out of a cut. Wouldn't mind it I'm just n it to ...

black
    2002 ram air 6sp

Yea I'm not lookin for 4 xtra horsepower out of a cut. Wouldn't mind it I'm just n it to wake the dead lol. Just didn't wanna It to Jack with my tune. How often do the elec cutouts go bad and how expensive and hard are they to repair

Blackened fire chicken
    2000 Pontiac Trans Am WS6

i would love to drive with open headers all the time, i dont like my neighbors
    so your going to put a cut-out on each side of the y-pipe?

Red
    2000 Camaro Z28 A4

im thinking right off each headers or about a foot back from the headers!

2002 Black WS6

The only downside I see to cut-outs is the noise. I keep it open when driving around town because I love how it sounds, and I love scaring the shit outta people that mistakenly leave there window down

But when I'm on the highway or something, I close it up, just because it gets a little annoying after a while, especially when trying to have a convo or listen to music

BTW, with my frost tune, it runs great whether the valve is opened or closed, hope this helps

Bat mobile black
    2000 Trans am WS6 M6

I thought if you were gunna go with a single cut out you put it on the bottom part of the Y pipe where it is a single pipe after the 2 pipes joined? Correct me if im wrong but thats the only way it makes sense to me. It seems stupid and useless to put one cut out on and have half the motor breathing through a cutout and the other half going all the way through the whole system????

Red
    2000 Camaro Z28 A4

Quote Originally Posted by Lunatikgixxer View Post
    I thought if you were gunna go with a single cut out you put it on the bottom part of the Y pipe where it is a single pipe after the 2 pipes joined? Correct me if im wrong but thats the only way it makes sense to me. It seems stupid and useless to put one cut out on and have half the motor breathing through a cutout and the other half going all the way through the whole system????
    single cutout you put after the y! dual cutouts you put behind the headers/manifolds!

Bat mobile black
    2000 Trans am WS6 M6

yeah thats what im saying, i think i misread in a previous post of something about putting it directly under the passanger seat lol nevermind.

Red
    2000 Camaro Z28 A4

yeah thats what im saying, i think i misread in a previous post of something about putting it directly under the passanger seat lol nevermind.
    lol ya thats real close to where your y-pipe merges into one!

2002 Black WS6

Yah, definitely under the REAR passenger seat. There's a nice little opening under there that looks like it was meant for a cut-out

dbl clutch'n like i shld WICKEDLS1's Avatar

sebring silver
    Y2K SS CAMARO

Quote Originally Posted by stormkarma View Post
    Yea I'm not lookin for 4 xtra horsepower out of a cut. Wouldn't mind it I'm just n it to wake the dead lol. Just didn't wanna It to Jack with my tune. How often do the elec cutouts go bad and how expensive and hard are they to repair
    if you get some go with DMH cutouts there great quality and there customer service is next to none. NTM they warranty all there cutouts and there is no hassle when you have a problem or if something breaks on one of them

sunset orange/ black
    two 2001 ws6 m6

good = everything
    bad = only when there closed

Red
    2000 Z28

I put a cutout in my ls1 with cams and cat deletes and a few other bolt-ons, sounds awesome when you get on it but it doesn't really seal the best and when you sit in a stop light for a while you start to smell exhaust in your car, and i didn't have any problems with it running weird open or close.

Blackened fire chicken

i have stock manifolds and cats, with the slp y-pipe and LM1...if i took the y-pipe off, would it be alright to run it that way? just curious

Bat mobile black
    2000 Trans am WS6 M6

Quote Originally Posted by godless-phoenix View Post
    i have stock manifolds and cats, with the slp y-pipe and LM1...if i took the y-pipe off, would it be alright to run it that way? just curious
    how do you have stock cats with an slp y pipe? but yes itd be ok to run open headers but if youve never been in your car or anyone elses car with open headers then you will probably get annoyed by it really fast

Blackened fire chicken

the slp y-pipe fits for 2000-2002 ls1's, but not the 98 and 99's

Bat mobile black
    2000 Trans am WS6 M6

i use to think itd be awesome to ride around with open headers until i really got how loud they are, theyre pretty loud and annoying lol. I remember first starting it up after i got the cam installed and these little kids were playing outside and they jumped up and turned around so fast when i started it. It also set off my dads car alarm. Too loud for daily driven purposes imo

2002 Black WS6

Quote Originally Posted by godless-phoenix View Post
    Honestly I would keep the setup the way it is and just put a cut out on the I-pipe. It will still sound great but it will be a little less annoying

dbl clutch'n like i shld WICKEDLS1's Avatar

sebring silver
    Y2K SS CAMARO

i use to think itd be awesome to ride around with open headers until i really got how loud they are, theyre pretty loud and annoying lol. I remember first starting it up after i got the cam installed and these little kids were playing outside and they jumped up and turned around so fast when i started it. It also set off my dads car alarm. Too loud for daily driven purposes imo
    yeah there is a line of when a loud car sounds mean and when it sounds too obnixous and with just open headers your on the wrong side. im cammed and heads and i dont even like the way it sounds

Cosmos Purple
    2004 GTO

I'm running around with open headers and turn downs on my Gto right now, torquer v2 on a 112 with some heads and it sounds pissed at idle or real low Rpms and up high at wot but the in-between sounds like crap IMO. Nothing like making people jump when you tag into it lol.
    2004 CPM M6
    TSP Torqer v2 112lsa, Landspeed Stage II 241's, K&N drop-in, Blevins Tune, muffler delete, more to come
    8.33 @ 84.93 1.87 60' BTA FTW!! (Prior to heads and cam)
    Click for full size

Blackened fire chicken

should i put a cut out between the LM1 and the y-pipe or should i take out the Lm1 resonator and put a cut out in place?
    Last edited by godless-phoenix; 04-18-2011 at 09:58 AM.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread Information