Thread: problems

Oriental Blue
    2001 Trans Am WS.6 M6

problems

so i just got back from my first night out in my new 2001 WS6, and ive encountered a handful of problems, which i was not happy about at all

1. problems starting

so i jump in it and it the ignition churns for a couple seconds and i stop then turn it again and it will start very roughly, it only seems to do this when its been sitting for an hour or longer, when its warm it doesnt have any problems.

2. The clutch is very screwy, it seems to stall out easier than any car ive ever driven, nearly all night long the clutch had about an inch of play(as in i could press it about an inch and there would be no effect) but then once for a short period of time it went to where it was very sensitive with no play at all, and then back to the way it was before....operator error?

3. and then at another point i was getting on it a little bit, let off to shift and then i was locked out of every gear and the clutch was stuck in without my foot on it, i finnally forced it into third and all was back to normal.

also i believe the car has an exhaust leak, when i hit the gas i hear a faint wooshing before the engine drowns it out

what the heck is going on?

did i get a lemon?

any comment suggestions would be appreciated

again my car is a 2001 ws6 T/A M6 74000 miles
    Last edited by '00T/A; 10-26-2007 at 08:03 PM. Reason: left out info

'98,'00-B 93,03,11,14-V

Quote Originally Posted by '00T/A View Post
    so i just got back from my first night out in my new 2001 WS6, and ive encountered a handful of problems, which i was not happy about at all

1. problems starting

so i jump in it and it the ignition churns for a couple seconds and i stop then turn it again and it will start very roughly, it only seems to do this when its been sitting for an hour or longer, when its warm it doesnt have any problems.

2. The clutch is very screwy, it seems to stall out easier than any car ive ever driven, nearly all night long the clutch had about an inch of play(as in i could press it about an inch and there would be no effect) but then once for a short period of time it went to where it was very sensitive with no play at all, and then back to the way it was before....operator error?

3. and then at another point i was getting on it a little bit, let off to shift and then i was locked out of every gear and the clutch was stuck in without my foot on it, i finnally forced it into third and all was back to normal.

also i believe the car has an exhaust leak, when i hit the gas i hear a faint wooshing before the engine drowns it out

what the heck is going on?

did i get a lemon?

any comment suggestions would be appreciated

again my car is a 2001 ws6 T/A M6 74000 miles

??? Lemon .... The car has 74000 miles. You bought used you should expect a few problems.

The clutch might only need fluid and bleeding.... no big deal

Exhaust leak ..... no big deal.... but, that one sounds like it could be normal sound of the air pump.

The clutch on the Firebird engages / disengages like most old school american cars. Full disengagement 1" from the floor. Engagement starts 1" from the floor. The idea is you push clutch to the floor ... pull the shifter then let the clutch go.

My foreign cars seem to be the reverse .... I always modify the adjustment to work like above.

My last couple of stock foreign car clutches seemed to be that if you depress clutch 1-2" shift let go of clutch.... never having to hit the floor before a shift.

After market clutches / performance clutches seem to work like the american ones in the foreign cars. Plus the foreign car clutches have much lighter pedal pressure and can not handle the HP that the stock american clutches can generally.

Don't know .... but, hope this helps you.

black trans am

ok i may have a after market and i might have a bent shift fork .. im gessing. i know my shift fork is bent b/c i seemed to get stuck when going from 2-3 like the shifter gets stuck in the middle its weard and then i have to pull like hell to get it un jamed.. and then its fine .. weard??

#2 what is all done to the car some one could have messed stuff up modding the car..

Oriental Blue
    2001 Trans Am WS.6 M6

according the to man i bought it from the only thing he ever even thought about changing was the skip shift, which he didnt. the car is bone stock like when it rolled out of the factory

Oriental Blue
    2001 Trans Am WS.6 M6

yea the clutches i am used to are foreign(bmw) and i know what your talking about, so you would suggest fluid and bleeding?

N/A nitrously aspirated stangslayer98's Avatar

black
    1998 trans am

your clutch may be worn out my car had 65k miles when i pulled mine out it kept whining when i tried going over speed bumps and such i think the 98-00 had the crappier slave cylinder if you decide to replace the clutch replace that part aswell

Oriental Blue
    2001 Trans Am WS.6 M6

any one know what might cause it not wanting to start on the first turn of the key?
    should i try new spark plugs? fuel filter? fuel injector cleaner?

Pewter
    2002 T/A WS6

Quote Originally Posted by '00T/A View Post
    any one know what might cause it not wanting to start on the first turn of the key?
    should i try new spark plugs? fuel filter? fuel injector cleaner?
    Mine does this too sometimes, but it never WONT start. Wouldn't hurt to run some injector cleaner anyway though since you just got it - you never know the other owner may have never put any through it. You could take one spark plug out and look at it too. I'd try those two before anything with the fuel filter since they are quicker.

Oriental Blue
    2001 Trans Am WS.6 M6

so you have this problem also eh...you havent tryed anything to fix it yet?

Thread Information