Black
    2000 Trans Am WS6

Question Problem with keyless entry and headlights

when I hit unlock or lock using the keyless entry on my 00 Trans Am the headlights pop up and the motor on the driver side wont disengage. This is odd because usually only the parking lights would engage when the lock or unlock button was pressed. Somethings is definately wrong any suggestions?

White
    1999 Trans Am WS6

You also hear the horrific grinding sound when you turn your headlights off, right? Sounds like the gear is stripped. There's a free fix that's been linked many times, and you can also buy brass gears to replace the nylon ones that come in it stock. Do a search, you'll find many many threads about the same issue.

SOM
    2002 WS6

headlights

welcome to the club...lol...i just finished my right side......i bought 2 brass gears ...i'm saving the other one for when the other plastic gear goes..(it will)

brent franker has the fix ...pics and video

bfranker.badz28.com or google brent franker

go to f- body install and fix guides...scroll down to 4th gen headlight fix...
    its not hard to fix...clean the plastic real good before epoxying it back together...mine came apart and i redid it with a bracket i made ...it will NEVER come apart again....i'll post pics of the bracket later......

White
    98 WS6 Ram Air Formula

Tried the site and kept getting a "Page cannot be displayed" error. Any other place where i can see how to fix the headlight?

White
    98 WS6 Ram Air Formula

found one... you can also go to http://my.execpc.com/C4/4A/rodney1/firebird/
    to purchase and get instructions on installing the gear.

SOM
    2002 WS6

this kit looks good...it has the T bracket that holds the epoxied pastic in place... it will never come apart like mine did the first time when i trusted the epoxy......the bracket is similar to the one i made

did you google.. brent franker

White
    98 WS6 Ram Air Formula

I'm definately getting this kit soon. ive had to replace 3 motors so far and ive owned the car for 2 years. I dont want to have to waste any more $$$ i'm really very of having to replace the same damn motor over and over.

Pewter
    2000 WS6 A4

I don't think any of you REALLY read his post. He said when he uses his keyless entry his headlights pop up, and won't disengage. This has nothing to do with his headlight gears.

Sorry man... I wish I could help, but it sounds like you've got an electrical problem.

Has anyone else had this problem?????

insert witty title here Blk00ws6's Avatar

Black
    2000 WS6

Mine did the same thing when using the keyless entry. That's when it first started. Also whenever I turned the headlights off.

I just did the brass gear shuffle on both sides

Pewter
    2000 WS6 A4

I understand about the "brass gears", but why would his headlights raise when he uses his key fob???

SOM
    2002 WS6

i did read his post... and have read several posts of different weird happenings when the gear goes...i think this is one of those ......i would check the gear first...

White
    1999 Trans Am WS6

Quote Originally Posted by Thorazine Shuffle View Post
    I understand about the "brass gears", but why would his headlights raise when he uses his key fob???
    I read a really good explanation somewhere about why this happens when the gears get stripped, but of course now I can't find it. Something about voltage, or amperage, or fuzzy kittens and rainbows.... hell I don't remember.

Oh and I agree with this..
    Quote Originally Posted by tatom
    i did read his post... and have read several posts of different weird happenings when the gear goes...i think this is one of those ......i would check the gear first...
    It may not be the gear, that was just the first thing I thought of also, and it takes like 10-15 minutes to do the free fix, so you won't be out of that much time if that isn't what the problem is. It's the cheapest and easiest thing to look at first.

black w/ ghost stripes
    02 ws6

thats a god aweful sound. my car was doing that and i couldnt figure out wtf was goin on. it turned out to be the motor housing was broke. new hl motor off ebay did just the trick!

SUPREME member-oderator oneBADDz's Avatar

Custom Slate Blue
    99 B4C

Quote Originally Posted by Thorazine Shuffle View Post
    I don't think any of you REALLY read his post. He said when he uses his keyless entry his headlights pop up, and won't disengage. This has nothing to do with his headlight gears.

Sorry man... I wish I could help, but it sounds like you've got an electrical problem.

Has anyone else had this problem?????
    Don't tell the people in the thread that they are wrong. . .and then follow that up with the fact that you don't know what's wrong with it.

It's a well known problem, these guys know what they are talking about.

black w/ ghost stripes
    02 ws6

actually Thorazine Shuffle it does have to do with the keyless entry. when my motor broke everytime i hit my lock or unlock button they would open and close and make noise. i fixed the bad motor and never had any problems since. so yea its not an electrical problem.

Black
    2000 Trans Am WS6

Thanks for all the help. I flipped the gear 180 degrees and it works fine now. I did order brass gears for both sides but I will wait until they strip again.

White
    98' T/A WS6 Conv.

I got the same damn problem but my makes the nasty damn noise on both sides and does it for about 10 seconds after i turn the headlights off not just when i hit the keyless!

White
    98' T/A WS6 Conv.

Its like the lights want to go all the way under the hood! It kinda sux to pull up in a sweet ass ride then have them damn headlights take away from the pride just a little! Everybody's head turnin to see where the god awful noise is comin from!

Black
    2000 Trans Am WS6

That sucks sounds like the gears on both sides are striped. Try the free fix listed above. It last me a week before it striped again. Gave me just enough time for the brass gears to get here. Yeah I know what ya mean about a sweet ass ride with that awful noise. Thats why I just lock my door manually for awhile. Good luck man.

White
    98' T/A WS6 Conv.

yeah thanx bro! at least ill have time to work on her now that the iowa winter is here n i got her put away! Do u happen to know ne thing about the 6 speed manual my reverse pops out of gear i got to hold the damn thing in with all my mite just to back up!

Thread Information