Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

With problem after tune.........

This is a discussion on With problem after tune......... within the Firebird / WS6 forums, part of the Vehicle Specific category; Originally Posted by 0rion I don't understand that part. Isn't the car tuned for the gears? If you change the ...

2000 Trans Am

Quote Originally Posted by 0rion View Post
    I don't understand that part. Isn't the car tuned for the gears? If you change the gear in the tune it'll auto adjust the shift points.
    I would have him tune it for 14.7:1 instead of trying to run it lean and retune the maf table at least in the cruise regions if he's sure the wot stuff is on. I know people have started doing lean tunes but I've never really seen the point to them. If you want gas mileage buy a prius.
    I also would ask him not to delete the lean code. You need to PM Frost and explain to him what's going on and get his opinion.
    Thanks for all of your help orion......i will contact frost.......

98 Formula
    06 duramax

pm me your email address

White
    1998 Trans Am

I've never heard of gears making a difference with a tune. gears won't make your car run lean or rich. I had my car dyno tuned at ARD in Houston and I took it there once and it was done. Never have a lean/ rich problem at any RPM. I drive my car easy through the city and late at night when I go out I drive it hard and like going for late night highway runs.
    1998 Trans Am 85k miles.
    Bolt ons, MS3 113LSA cam, Circle D Stall, Tune, Modified WS6 style hood, Full Suspension, 6000k HID's, Clear Side Markers w/ Leds, Led 3rd Brake Light and 18" AR Staggered Killer Wheels w/ BFG KDW NT's.- Weekend Toy/DD
    02 Trailblazer -Sold
    09 Ram 1500 CC - Sold
    09 Cobalt SS/TC - Sold
    13 ram 1500 LoneStar CC 4x4 - Magnaflow, K&N,and more to come-DD/Toy

Victory Red
    2007 Pontiac G5

I had the same problem after I got tune'd. I went back the the dyno and the guy who tuned me said that he had to reset the air fuel ratio because i was running to rich. After that the problem was fixed.

2000 Trans Am

Quote Originally Posted by MoMo The Ecotec View Post
    I had the same problem after I got tune'd. I went back the the dyno and the guy who tuned me said that he had to reset the air fuel ratio because i was running to rich. After that the problem was fixed.
    I am going to take it back to him this weekend and have h im reset the a/f ratio and that should fix it........correct me if im wrong but i believe the only reason they do it is for better gas mileage.......also did he have to reset the whole tune or just the a/f ratio??

White over Red
    1991 Suburban

You can change one thing or all and any combination in between with HPTuners. On my pickup all I change was tires size and on the camaro I changed everything but tire size due to various mods.

2000 Trans Am

Quote Originally Posted by thearborbarber View Post
    You can change one thing or all and any combination in between with HPTuners. On my pickup all I change was tires size and on the camaro I changed everything but tire size due to various mods.
    Yes I know this......I was just going to set the a/f ratio back to stock...would I lose any horsepower......what is the reason they even change a/f ratio for?

White over Red
    1991 Suburban

Quote Originally Posted by clg82 View Post
    Yes I know this......I was just going to set the a/f ratio back to stock...would I lose any horsepower......what is the reason they even change a/f ratio for?
    Without knowing his technique for tuning and how he goes about getting his desired result it's hard to say what he changed and what effect it had due to other changes he made.

Before taking the car back I would get any vacuum leaks taken care of and if you have any other issues mechanically. If the engine isn't 100% it's like chasing your tail when tuning. Vacuum and exhaust leaks make it almost impossible to get a good tune worked up
    Last edited by thearborbarber; 02-23-2009 at 08:32 AM.

2000 Trans Am

Quote Originally Posted by thearborbarber View Post
    Without knowing his technique for tuning and how he goes about getting his desired result it's hard to say what he changed and what effect it had due to other changes he made.

Before taking the car back I would get any vacuum leaks taken care of and if you have any other issues mechanically. If the engine isn't 100% it's like chasing your tail when tuning. Vacuum and exhaust leaks make it almost impossible to get a good tune worked up
    The car runs like a top, and ran like a top. There are no vacuum leaks and no mechanical issues.....I am getting the system too lean codes, and i called him the minute it happened and he said he would delete the code because it was from the tune.......if i was running lean wouldn't i be losing hp, suttering, sputtering...and running like ass?

White
    1998 Trans Am

When my car was running lean(fuel pump was almost dead). I was running lean under wot. It had lost some power and I was getting alot of detonation. I thouhgh it need to be tuned but the A/F still wasn't good. Once I put the pump in it was like going from driving a Grand Am back to a Trans Am.

2000 Trans Am

Quote Originally Posted by RyanJM View Post
    When my car was running lean(fuel pump was almost dead). I was running lean under wot. It had lost some power and I was getting alot of detonation. I thouhgh it need to be tuned but the A/F still wasn't good. Once I put the pump in it was like going from driving a Grand Am back to a Trans Am.
    That is one of the confusing things about it......at wot and just cruising I have absolutly NO POWER LOSS, or hesitation the car runs incredible I just called him back and he said the exact same thing you guys did! He said that the af ratio for crusing/idle etc etc etc is 14.7 (plus or minus 1 %) and the wot af should be 12.8 ish............He said he runs into this problem a lot with trucks and occasionally, with the F-body becuase the pcm thinks that it is leaner then it is.....so he doesn't delete the code he just adjusts the pcm to diffrent paraminters.......he said when he tuned my car that there was no knock retart, and that we will drive around again with him looking at the paramiters just to triple check that everything is still within range which is what stated before........any comments or opinions are welcome.....

White
    1998 Trans Am

Not sure id it happens in our cars but my Trailblazer was popping up lean codes all because of a bad sensor.

Victory Red
    2007 Pontiac G5

Quote Originally Posted by clg82 View Post
    I am going to take it back to him this weekend and have h im reset the a/f ratio and that should fix it........correct me if im wrong but i believe the only reason they do it is for better gas mileage.......also did he have to reset the whole tune or just the a/f ratio??
    just the a/f ratio

2000 Trans Am

Quote Originally Posted by MoMo The Ecotec View Post
    just the a/f ratio
    yes why do you ask.................? That is the only thing that would be making it pop the lean code correct?

2000 Trans Am

anyone else with suggestions.......I am going to take it back to him this weekend, and I told him I didn't buy the car for gas milege and to reset my a/f ratio so that it wouldn't run lean......anyone else with some suggestions?

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread Information