Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

With problem after tune.........

This is a discussion on With problem after tune......... within the Firebird / WS6 forums, part of the Vehicle Specific category; Originally Posted by JoshieDoom If the SES light comes back on after you fix the hose, you have other issues. ...

2000 Trans Am

Quote Originally Posted by JoshieDoom View Post
    If the SES light comes back on after you fix the hose, you have other issues.
    Ok I will try and fix the hose tomorrow........I will keep everyone updated on what happens.......thanks for the help doom.....i hope to god that is it......

Impounded

79 T/A -91 Firebird
    1998 Trans Am -Oynx Black

Quote Originally Posted by clg82 View Post
    Ok I will try and fix the hose tomorrow........I will keep everyone updated on what happens.......thanks for the help doom.....i hope to god that is it......
    Its not that big of a deal even if it isnt it. Might have a small air leak somewhere or something little.

2000 Trans Am

Its not that big of a deal even if it isnt it. Might have a small air leak somewhere or something little.

That is what I was thinking as well.....it just bothers me that it happened right after the tune......i hardly drive the car so maybe something is leaking air.....another thing that scares the shit out of me is reading about detonation.......but wouldn't my car be running horrible if it was detonating?

Impounded

79 T/A -91 Firebird

That is what I was thinking as well.....it just bothers me that it happened right after the tune......i hardly drive the car so maybe something is leaking air.....another thing that scares the shit out of me is reading about detonation.......but wouldn't my car be running horrible if it was detonating?
    Possible. Might want to find someone with autotap or somebody that can log the knock sensors if you have issues with it.

2000 Trans Am

Ok well here is what I found out from the guy that did the tune. He called me back this morning, and I told him the problem etc etc etc........He said since it happened right after the tune, that it is tune related..he also said that since he adjusted the air/fuel ratio, for better gas mileage the car will recognize that it is lean.....and that is ok.....anyone think there is any truth to that? He also asked how the car was running and I said great, he wants me to bring the car back again so he can delete the code and then triple check that he got the air/fuel ratio correct..........comments and suggestions please.........~Chris

red
    1967camaro & 02 trans am

the crack in the pcv hose happens all the time and will cause those lean codes, i would replace it and not tape it because it will eventually suck tape back in over time

White over Red
    1991 Suburban

Quote Originally Posted by jp1967 View Post
    the crack in the pcv hose happens all the time and will cause those lean codes, i would replace it and not tape it because it will eventually suck tape back in over time
    I agree.

98 Formula
    06 duramax

find a different tuner......

Smiles for 9.5 Years cammed goat's Avatar

Phantom Black Metallic
    2004 GTO M6

I remember when I took my car to get tuned the first question asked of me was what octane gas I was using. I had 93 in at the time and the tuner told me that 93 was going to be used from then on.

2000 Trans Am

Quote Originally Posted by 0rion View Post
    find a different tuner......
    Why?

Impounded

79 T/A -91 Firebird

Why?
    if it is really tuned based then he isnt worth a damn if you run lean.

Black
    1999 TA WS.6

Professional tuners dont need to ask you to come back cause he leaned the hell out of you.

Impounded

79 T/A -91 Firebird

Quote Originally Posted by Hi-Po View Post
    Professional tuners dont need to ask you to come back cause he leaned the hell out of you.

White
    1998 Trans Am

I would have to wonder about someone who tunes the car and it ends up running lean. I would ask for some cash back sdince you have to take it back there because of his screw up. But I agree with finding a new tuner if you add more parts and need it retuned
    Last edited by RyanJM; 02-21-2009 at 05:57 PM.
    1998 Trans Am 85k miles.
    Bolt ons, MS3 113LSA cam, Circle D Stall, Tune, Modified WS6 style hood, Full Suspension, 6000k HID's, Clear Side Markers w/ Leds, Led 3rd Brake Light and 18" AR Staggered Killer Wheels w/ BFG KDW NT's.- Weekend Toy/DD
    02 Trailblazer -Sold
    09 Ram 1500 CC - Sold
    09 Cobalt SS/TC - Sold
    13 ram 1500 LoneStar CC 4x4 - Magnaflow, K&N,and more to come-DD/Toy

2000 Trans Am

if it is really tuned based then he isnt worth a damn if you run lean.
    Quote Originally Posted by Hi-Po View Post
    He said it is more then likely tuned based since it happened after he did the tune........he said that he leaned it out so that I would get better gas mileage.......before we all throw him under the bus I say I give the guy another chance and have him check it again, and ask him why everyone on here is saying that he shouldn't lean it out.........

98 Formula
    06 duramax

who did the tune and did he do a street tune and then dyno tune or just a dyno tune? what are your mods?

2000 Trans Am

who did the tune and did he do a street tune and then dyno tune or just a dyno tune? what are your mods?
    The person that did the tune was refered to me by sfletch2000 on this board.....the guy new his stuff, and had a ton of customers F-Bodys there.... All he did was just plug HPTuners under my dashboard, and we drove around for about a half an hour....as he used his laptop to make corrections...the modifications i have done are in my signature....why do you ask? Maybe FROST could give us his .02 cents as well
    Last edited by clg82; 02-21-2009 at 07:01 PM.
    2000 Arctic White trans am, ws6 hood, ws6 air box, slp lid, slp smooth bellows, slp loudmouth exhaust,shift kit, rebuilt trans, LS6 intake, 3.73 gears, Shaner S3 p/p throttle body, and a tune . SFC. C6 ZO6 rims 18" in back 17" in front. Drilled and slotted rotors.

98 Formula
    06 duramax

sounds like he might've messed up the maf tune IMO. No big deal but he should really re-log the car and see where it's at. Sounds like he might. I also wouldn't let him delete that lean code. Now if you're talking about clearing it yes but I wouldn't delete the code. That was why I made my original statement but I'm wondering now if you meant he would clear it.

2000 Trans Am

sounds like he might've messed up the maf tune IMO. No big deal but he should really re-log the car and see where it's at. Sounds like he might. I also wouldn't let him delete that lean code. Now if you're talking about clearing it yes but I wouldn't delete the code. That was why I made my original statement but I'm wondering now if you meant he would clear it.
    I am almost positive that he said delete it. But I won't let him do that, and i truly don't want him to re-do the tune because I have new gears installed and i don't think we can drive and tune because the gears would mess with the shift points......so what do you suggest I say to him when I take it back...he already acknowledged that it was probably the tune and that he would triple check that everythings was good.......he does hundreds a month....so i would THINK that he would know the proper a/f ratio to put it at?!? what do you suggest I do or say to him?

98 Formula
    06 duramax

I am almost positive that he said delete it. But I won't let him do that, and i truly don't want him to re-do the tune because I have new gears installed and i don't think we can drive and tune because the gears would mess with the shift points......so what do you suggest I say to him when I take it back...he already acknowledged that it was probably the tune and that he would triple check that everythings was good.......he does hundreds a month....so i would THINK that he would know the proper a/f ratio to put it at?!? what do you suggest I do or say to him?
    I don't understand that part. Isn't the car tuned for the gears? If you change the gear in the tune it'll auto adjust the shift points.
    I would have him tune it for 14.7:1 instead of trying to run it lean and retune the maf table at least in the cruise regions if he's sure the wot stuff is on. I know people have started doing lean tunes but I've never really seen the point to them. If you want gas mileage buy a prius.
    I also would ask him not to delete the lean code. You need to PM Frost and explain to him what's going on and get his opinion.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread Information