Silver
    2000 Trans Am WS6

This probably isn't normal....

So I was cruising down the road this past weekend at about 60 mph and out of no where my car starts sputtering and randomly losing power. I managed to make it back home and tried getting on it a few times on the way back and every single time it would just cut out and act like it was going to die at idle. When you turn it on it would idle fine for about 3-4 seconds then start sputtering. Let the car sit for the night and came back with a can of seafoam the next day. Tried getting the car to idle normally and rev up again without putting the seafoam in but had no luck so dumped a little less than half a bottle in the gas tank. Fired her up again about 10 minutes later and she revved to about 3500 rpm without me even touching the gas then had the loudest cackle come out of the SLP loudmouth system I have ever heard lol From that point on it idled down normally and did not cut out at all. Took it on about a 4 mile quick run and all the power was there and no stutter at all. I feel like it might be idling a little different but I'm not sure if that's just me being paranoid now. Is this something I should just shrug off or should I start digging a little deeper and possibly replace fuel filter/etc..?

Black / White
    '00 T/A M6/'19 Hemi Truck

Any codes? Could be a bunch of things...vacuum leak or MAF come to mind first. Try unplugging your MAF and see if the problem goes away just to eliminate that from being a possible problem and then we can go from there.
    2000 Black TA M6 - LT's, ORY, UMI Short Stick, TT2's, Drilled/Slotted Rotors, Braided Lines, and Tuned by Vengeance SCCA and Car Show Approved
    2019 Ram 1500 Crew Cab Laramie Limited
    2015 Ram 1500 Crew Cab Sport Premium Hemi - Sold
    2010 Hemi Crew Cab Sport Premium - Tuner and HID's - Sold
    06 Quad Cab HHHHemi - Sold
    99 Hugger Orange Camaro - Sold
    97 Camaro - Sold

Silver
    2000 Trans Am WS6

There were no codes at all. And like I said it runs pretty much normal now. I did put gas in the car that same day (93 octane) but I drove about 15 miles after I filled up so I don't think it was bad gas.

Black / White

I've had bad gas and it didn't do anything like that...mine popped and pinged like crazy and sputtered above 3500rpm, but nothing like what you're describing. What kind of air filter do you use out of curiosity? Is it a K&N by any chance?

Silver
    2000 Trans Am WS6

I'm not sure what brand it is because I've never replaced it in the 2 months I've had the car. One of the first things I did was open the air box and the filter looked to be clean and in pretty good shape.

Navy Blue Metallic
    98 T/A w/ mods, 00 FBVert

How long has it been since you've change your fuel filter?

Black / White

Quote Originally Posted by MillWS6 View Post
    I'm not sure what brand it is because I've never replaced it in the 2 months I've had the car. One of the first things I did was open the air box and the filter looked to be clean and in pretty good shape.
    Was it white "paper" or a different color? The reason I ask is because K&N oiled filters are notorious for causing weird issues...I've had it happen myself.

Since you've had the car for such a short period of time, have you flushed all of the fluids? Could have had some moisture in the gas but I'm really not thinking that was the problem...and to answer your question about the fuel filter, replacing it certainly wouldnt make anything worse.

Silver
    2000 Trans Am WS6

I'm not exactly sure. Like I said I've only had the car for about 2 months and she has 67,000 miles on her so it could be time for a new one

- - - Updated - - -

It looked to be a white paper filter. Had an orange rubber frame around it if that helps identify a brand?

Black / White

Quote Originally Posted by MillWS6 View Post
    I'm not exactly sure. Like I said I've only had the car for about 2 months and she has 67,000 miles on her so it could be time for a new one

- - - Updated - - -

It looked to be a white paper filter. Had an orange rubber frame around it if that helps identify a brand?
    yea, that means it's a normal filter which is a good thing. The brand really doesnt matter as long as its not an oiled filter which that one isnt.

Red
    02 35th LE Camaro SS

It sounds like a fuel delivery issue perhaps, in which case the car could be running lean. If it persists, I would recommend not getting on it, at all. A lean condition will destroy a motor quickly.

I would check fuel pressure and see what the reading is. There's a schrader valve off the fuel rails on the motor you can hook a gauge to. It should read between 57-61 psi.
    Boost gets you laid, unless your name is Jon.

Black & Blue
    '02 WS.6 / '07 Suburban

^^ This. Certainly sounds like a fuel delivery problem. You might also have a crank position sensor or something starting to wig out, but they will generally set a code and trigger the SES light.

Black
    2000 WS6 Trans AM

Fuel pump, all day.
    98' Trans AM RIP

00' WS6/Black/Pacesetter LT's/Magnaflow Exhaust/SLP lid/Nick Williams 92mm TB/FAST 92 Intake/BMR Strut Tower Brace/BMR Rear LCA's/BMR Panhard Bar

98 Formula
    06 duramax

while the fuel pump is always an option the high idle/rev makes me think unmetered air like from a vacuum leak. Check the hose on the passenger side that turns and goes into the intake just behind the throttle body. That's the pcv hose.....they like to crack right in the back of that bend. Check all those vacuum lines while you're at it.

Thread Information