Thread: Power Window

Red
    1998 Trans Am

Power Window

Heard alot about power window issues on t/a's and on mine both motors r newer & passenger works fine but my window is pooping out & only works very seldom I wasnt sure if uts just a grounding issue or what?

sold: 1999 firebird
    1998 Trans Am

so, on top of the window not working, is it falling out of its tracks/regulator too?

the reason the motors stop working is because of bad wiring, Autotrix has the solution http://autotrix.net/
    Last edited by justinmc978; 11-21-2011 at 02:37 PM.

Red
    1998 Trans Am

No, its setting in its mount & evrythng fine.. Im pretty sure its bad wiring I jus not sure how to fix it

sold: 1999 firebird
    1998 Trans Am

Quote Originally Posted by Madison View Post
    No, its setting in its mount & evrythng fine.. Im pretty sure its bad wiring I jus not sure how to fix it
    the yeah Autotrix is your best bet, $35+ shipping, not a bad deal since new motors run for $50+

Red
    1999 Trans Am

Have you done any basic diag at all? Start by removing your door panel pop the switch out of the panel and plug it in. When the window stops working simply unplug the window motor and check for power at each terminal while pressing up and down, power should switch from one wire to the other as you switch from the up and down positions. If you verify that its most likely a bad window motor. If you own a power probe (my fav electrical diag tool) ground one terminal on the window motor and power the other, it will either make it go up or down, when u switch power and ground in the opposite way it should do the opposite of what it did before, if it does nothing you need a window motor.

Red
    1999 Trans Am

*Edit: I'm confused are you saying you are having issues with the pass window or the drivers? Either way make sure you dont simply have a bad window motor before rewiring it.. If you ever have BOTH windows stop working at the same time as well as your radio its as simple as pulling your bcm out and resoldering a few poopy connections
    Last edited by 99RedTa6spd; 12-01-2011 at 10:15 AM.

Navy Blue Metallic
    98 T/A w/ mods, 00 FBVert

Madison,

Are you having issues with both windows? or just one?

Is your radio going on/off?

Have occasional interior lighting issues?

If so then 99redta6spd is likely correct.

If the driver's window (only) just quits working it is most likely the motor is bad or blown fuse.

Red
    1998 Trans Am

My car seems to hav multiple little electrical flaws but its just the driver window thts a pain. I just reciently replaced both window motors & my driver window just started pooping out.. Besides tht my othr probs. R dimming of all my lights bcus of my subwoofer bein up & my amp will shut off occasionally if to high but im pretty sure that can b fixed with a bigger batt. bcus my batt isnt big ... Just a 550cca interstate

Red
    1998 Trans Am

And I kno my altenators good & its all set up correctly & set right.. Just seems to suck mor power than it can b provided

Red
    1999 Trans Am

aftermarket wiring could be related, maybe not. remove your door panel(s) and try powering the motor manually by supplying ground and power to the terminals at th the motor, can recall which way is up or down, but power one terminal and ground the other, if the same issue is present it's the motor and/or regulator. If it operates in a normal fashion the proplem is somewhere else. Everyone I've delt with was always cold solder connections within the bcm itself. (over 20+, my own included) If you're experience loss of window function, radio turning on and off and interior flights flickerings (occassionally over bumps) the problem is without a doubt your BCM. You can either shell out a few hundred for a replacement or pull your's out and re solder all the connections which appear dull (not shiney), when under warrenty the dealer would make use replace them, when they finally got old enough to be out of warrenty I began fixing them myself for .5 hours which in turn pissed off my parts manager, but god knows the 4th gen community have better things to spend their coin on

Black & Blue
    '02 WS.6 / '07 Suburban

I would also guess a BCM issue or possibly a loose/corroded ground wire.

Red
    1999 Trans Am

best part is the $$ factor, all u need is a small tip solder + some rosin core solder. I used a $5 cheap gun i had around the house and a bit of solder I had. Basically remove ur pas kick panel, pull down bcm, open case, and reheat any cold (dull looking) and if u'd like ad a bit of new to the larger connections and even the smaller ones if have a steady hand. Focus on the larger/heavier components as they typically exibit the most difficul issues due to the larger sizes causing wear over time. Comes out easily, simply remove

Red
    1999 Trans Am

pass side kick panel and its tucked right up in there. Now if you are only having an issue with the window check the motor itself, if you are experiencing the other issues mentioned (radio on and off, loss of power to windows etc.) Normally it starts out as an intermittent issue and get worse over time. You will also notice that it occurs at times while hitting a bump. Reminds me of the digital instrument consoles in the early c4 vettes, you can even diagnose it in a similiar fashion, with the vette it would come back to life with a whack to the dashpad, with our bcm's a kick or smack to the pass side kick panel will often bringer back to life for a bit (ps. I'm not saying this is a good way to diag this issue.)

ʢ ൧ ൨ ൩ ൪ ൫ ൬ ൭ ൮Ր Ց Ւ Փ Smittro's Avatar

White
    2008 Hummer H3

If it is the BCM repair or replace it ASAP, as the wiper pulse board does'nt like intermittent power steming from the BCM.

Over time a poorly operating BCM can cook the wiper pulse board.

A BCM issue rarely effects just one componet such as just one window.

When the BCM is having the solder joint issue it will usually effect other things as well such as the others have stated, radio, windows, locks, wipers.

I would NOT kick the passenger under dash "kick" panel as the BCM is up inside that area between the glove box bucket and the ventalation blower motor..

Kicking the panel hard enough could possibly damage the thick wire harness that passes under the BCM or even the plugs to the BCM.

There is also a vacuum block there with multi colored hoses steming from it.

Damage to that could cause a range of issues from a vacuum leaks that cause engine codes, to heater and AC controls no longer functioning..
    Last edited by Smittro; 12-18-2011 at 08:36 PM.
    :\Users\Steven\Pictures\d6ftg5nh.gif

Suggestion: If you are particularly irritated by another member's posting habits and are constantly fighting the urge to flame them, you can click on that person's profile, and select "Add to ignore list." This will make that person's posts invisible to you.

Thread Information