Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Post-headlight-motor-swap question

This is a discussion on Post-headlight-motor-swap question within the Firebird / WS6 forums, part of the Vehicle Specific category; The only problem with the temp fix is gluing the cover back. The factory glue is incredibly strong. You will ...

Navy Blue Metallic
    1999 Trans Am WS6

The only problem with the temp fix is gluing the cover back. The factory glue is incredibly strong. You will see when you break into it. Get some urethane and you won't have a problem.

I got mine from Rodney Dickman. You can get his kits with a brace for added protection. Probably not necessary, but I got them.

http://www.rodneydickman.com/n113.html

Silver
    2000 TA LS1 A4w/ShiftKit

Quote Originally Posted by onetroubledguy View Post
    The only problem with the temp fix is gluing the cover back. The factory glue is incredibly strong. You will see when you break into it. Get some urethane and you won't have a problem.

I got mine from Rodney Dickman. You can get his kits with a brace for added protection. Probably not necessary, but I got them.

http://www.rodneydickman.com/n113.html

I take it you went with the Brass Gears or did you go with the aluminum ones ?

Navy Blue Metallic
    1999 Trans Am WS6

I got brass. I think you can find them cheaper too. Try a google. Rodney is a bit more expensive then others, if I recall correctly.

Silver
    2000 TA LS1 A4w/ShiftKit

I got brass. I think you can find them cheaper too. Try a google. Rodney is a bit more expensive then others, if I recall correctly.
    Thanks for the very Helpfull info. Price isn't really a issue with me. I would rather go with a reliable quality part that I know someone else has went with and has no problems. Im gettn on ordering the gears now. The install seems like it should b fairly simple.

Navy Blue Metallic
    1999 Trans Am WS6

It's easy as long as you have the right tools, just a pain in the ass.

Here's a video of the install. Very helpful.

http://www.bfranker.badz28.com/headl...earinstall.wmv

http://www.bfranker.badz28.com/headlightfix/index.htm also has a TON of information about the temp fix.

Silver
    2000 TA LS1 A4w/ShiftKit

It's easy as long as you have the right tools, just a pain in the ass.

Here's a video of the install. Very helpful.

http://www.bfranker.badz28.com/headl...earinstall.wmv

http://www.bfranker.badz28.com/headlightfix/index.htm also has a TON of information about the temp fix.
    Very Informational Video there. Does look like it can b a bit of a pain in the A#@ !! But its good to get to know her a lil more intimately. Thanks alot for all the help.

Black w/ red race stripes
    2001 Trans AM WS6

Not sure I follow you. I just replaced mine with metal gears using the same motors. Eventually your "new" motor will have a stripped gear too, but not for a long time obviously so I guess it doesn't matter.
    You have to take the motor out either way, so I replaced mine with a remanufactured one with the brass gear in it. I did this just in case it wasnt the gear.

Black w/ red race stripes
    2001 Trans AM WS6

Quote Originally Posted by CobraKilla View Post
    Very Informational Video there. Does look like it can b a bit of a pain in the A#@ !! But its good to get to know her a lil more intimately. Thanks alot for all the help.
    I used the same exact video! (which is awesome btw) It's not a pain in the @ss at all, but I have small hands so it was easy to fit in there, lol. I would def recommend taking the whole light assembly out like he mentions too (MUCH easier!!).

The only thing about the video I didnt like was that he didnt mention putting the lever back in the original postion. I didnt do this and had to go back and take everything out to change it after I had put everything back in.

Navy Blue Metallic
    1999 Trans Am WS6

Quote Originally Posted by WS6chick View Post
    I used the same exact video! (which is awesome btw) It's not a pain in the @ss at all, but I have small hands so it was easy to fit in there, lol. I would def recommend taking the whole light assembly out like he mentions too (MUCH easier!!).

The only thing about the video I didnt like was that he didnt mention putting the lever back in the original postion. I didnt do this and had to go back and take everything out to change it after I had put everything back in.
    Yeah, that's what I meant. It's not difficult, just time consuming. Removing and attaching the control arm can suck, as well as getting to some nuts. Other than that not too bad.

Silver
    2000 TA LS1 A4w/ShiftKit

Quote Originally Posted by WS6chick View Post
    You have to take the motor out either way, so I replaced mine with a remanufactured one with the brass gear in it. I did this just in case it wasnt the gear.
    May I ask where u found the new motor with the brass gears at ?

Dark
    05 Trans Am

if you dont want them to pop up, just lock the doors by sliding the locks, doesnt activate the alarm..... then they dont pop up....

Navy Blue Metallic
    1999 Trans Am WS6

Quote Originally Posted by CobraKilla View Post
    May I ask where u found the new motor with the brass gears at ?
    Wasn't aware people were selling them like that. If you buy a new motor, you will be following the exact same procedure used to replace the gears anyways, minus one step. Might as well save your money and skip buying new motors ($30 - $75 a piece on eBay, but that's with the shitty nylon gear).

I REALLY doubt your motors are bad - 99% of the time it's the gear.
    Last edited by onetroubledguy; 03-07-2009 at 06:26 AM.

Silver
    2002 Trans Am WS6

I am still trying to find out how to make my headlights flip up/down in slow motion. I saw this in the last season of Bull Run, the charger had them installed.

Electric Blue Pearlcoat
    1995 Trans Am(LS1 Convert

Wasn't aware people were selling them like that. If you buy a new motor, you will be following the exact same procedure used to replace the gears anyways, minus one step. Might as well save your money and skip buying new motors ($30 - $75 a piece on eBay, but that's with the shitty nylon gear).

I REALLY doubt your motors are bad - 99% of the time it's the gear.
    You seem to know your stuff about these. My drivers side light just does not flip up ever! It will go two weeks like that then all of sudden one day it will pop up, and then another 3 weeks not working at all...U think its the motor or gear?

Navy Blue Metallic
    1999 Trans Am WS6

Quote Originally Posted by SteelCityTA View Post
    You seem to know your stuff about these. My drivers side light just does not flip up ever! It will go two weeks like that then all of sudden one day it will pop up, and then another 3 weeks not working at all...U think its the motor or gear?
    PM sent.

Red
    96 TA WS6 with LS1/Trans

Hey, go to Brent Frankers Home page and he tells you how to fix your headlights without replacing the gear if the gear is grinding. You basiclally disconnect the arm attached to the lights and manually rotate the headlight motor so that the gear is rotated 180 degrees. The gear is only used on half the gear when it goes up and down. So if one side is bad you just rotate the motor manually so that the other side is used instead. A lot less work until you both sides go bad. Thats what I did with mine when one side started and I haven't had any problems since.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information