Blown, Stroked, & Sprayed

Black
    383 Procharged & N20 Vert

Exclamation Pontiac's 2007 SEMA Show Highlights

Pontiac's 2007 SEMA Show Highlights
    The annual SEMA Show in Las Vegas is more than simply a venue for aftermarket companies to introduce new products, it's also a world stage for the major auto manufacturers to present wild concept cars like the SD-290 Solstice and the more production-viable G8 GT SEMA Edition featured herein.
    Solstice SD-290
    For those who fondly recall the halcyon days of '50s and '60s sports car racing, the Solstice SD-290 concept will certainly strike a chord. And for the rest of us who are too young to remember such competitions on storied race tracks, we have keen recollections of the sports cars we raced in H.O.-scale on our Aurora AFX or Tyco road race sets.
    "Designed to evoke the emotions of classic sports cars, the Pontiac Solstice SD-290 race concept captures the purposeful design of these vintage race vehicles," is how Pontiac sees the SD-290. "Featuring a covered passenger cockpit, custom body design, and enhancements to the powertrain and chassis, this concept takes Solstice to an entirely new level."
    While the outward appearance makes you think vintage, the modifications under the skin are firmly grounded in 21st century cutting-edge technology. Beneath the hood is an Ecotec 2.0L direct-injected turbocharged engine that pumps out 290 horsepower, thanks to a Stage II performance kit and a free-flowing Solo Performance after-cat exhaust system. It feeds power through a five-speed trans to a 3.91-geared rear.
    To keep the shapely racer glued to the tarmac, a Coilover Variant suspension system by KW Automotive and Custom 19-inch wheels with Hoosier R6 racing rubber were installed. The road course rocket is hauled to a stop with Force 10 Tri Power 13-inch Stainless Steel Brakes Corp binders featuring 3-piston aluminum calipers.
    Though it will never see daylight as a production car, the SD-290 is nevertheless an interesting concept and some of its attributes may find their way into the street Solstices of the future.
    G8 GT SEMA Edition
    Whereas the SD-290 Solstice can be described as radical, conversely, the G8 GT Sema Edition is tame with regard to modifications from the upcoming production model. The drivetrain retains its stock 361hp 6.0L V-8 engine, six-speed trans and 2.92 rear. Visual upgrades include exterior paint and interior panels, both of which are orange. Mechanical enhancements are comprised of Holden Special Vehicles (HSV) suspension, brakes and the HSV 20-inch wheel/tire package of the G8 show car from 2007. If you want more mods on a G8 SEMA show car, you'll have to flip back to "Tribal News" to read about 50 Cent's LSX-powered machine.

Photo Gallery: Pontiac's 2007 SEMA Show Highlights - High Performance Pontiac

Read More | Digg It | Add to del.icio.us

More...

Pewter
    2002 T/A WS6

Interesting. I never did like that style of old racecars.. maybe I'm just too young; but it never appealed to me - always thought they looked funny and pretty ugly. So I don't like the Concept Solstice. Sorry Pontiac. I'm sure some older race fans will like that though.

That G8 is nice - love the interior and the body shape. If it were mine though, those wheels and tail lights would be the first thing to go. Body looks sweet though, loving the orange.

Thread Information