Black
    2000 WS6 Trans Am

Pontiac Monsoon stereo display dead???

Hi Guys,

I have a 2000 Trans Am and the other day I was driving with the (Pontiac Monsoon) stereo on and everything was cool. Then I parked the car, turned it off, and ran into the house to grab something. I then get back into the car, turn it on, and the digital display for the stereo is totally dead. Everything else with the stereo, speakers, and antenna still work perfectly fine - it's just the digital display that has seemed to died on me. Anyone else ever had this problem? I hope it's an easy fix and I don't have to get a new stereo. Thanks a lot!

Mine is on the blink too. Unsure of the fix.

Pewter Metallic
    2000 WS6 Formula

Mine's acting up too. But instead of being blank, mine is undeciferable. Looks like symbols that don't tell you anything. But I suspect the answer is going to be something like a "new" stereo. I have the cassette deck option with my Monsoon and I just can't see putting any money in that. When I replace it, I want something with a touchscreen, memory, ability to sync with my smartphone, and a port to load my MP3's. Just makes sense to upgrade, unless you're trying to keep your car all original.

Black & Blue
    '02 WS.6 / '07 Suburban

First time I have heard of this issue. If I find anything on it I'll post up the info.

Black
    2000 WS6 Trans Am

Thanks, Guys. Looking forward to hearing any more feedback you might have. Thanks again.

white
    04 2500 4x4 crew cab

I have a monsoon deck sitting here in the garage........Not tape player.

blue
    00 trans-am ws6

Quote Originally Posted by mraya View Post
    Hi Guys,

I have a 2000 Trans Am and the other day I was driving with the (Pontiac Monsoon) stereo on and everything was cool. Then I parked the car, turned it off, and ran into the house to grab something. I then get back into the car, turn it on, and the digital display for the stereo is totally dead. Everything else with the stereo, speakers, and antenna still work perfectly fine - it's just the digital display that has seemed to died on me. Anyone else ever had this problem? I hope it's an easy fix and I don't have to get a new stereo. Thanks a lot!
    Same here got a 2000 ws-6 and I can only see the display when it's under certain lightened conditions.like if it's in the day and there is shade that hits the screen I can see it...Weird cuz everything else works fine too.

Custom Swirly Black
    2001 WS6 M6

I flicked mine when it did this, once, and it came back on lol. Leads me to believe, GM may have poorly soldered something (for my scenario).

If everything else works on the radio, your display has either fried or there's a loose connection, and sadly there's only one way to find out.... tearing it apart. If you do, I think the only thing you'll be able to check is the connections, as you'll probably have to buy a get new to you HU just to replace the display. Even then, no guarantee the previous owner didn't have the same issue if you junkyard it. I can't remember if it's a whole harness from the display to the board, or individual wires, either way checking soldering point can be difficult.

Honestly, my 1st recommendation is to see if any of the guys who have upgraded their HU's are willing to sell their stockers.
    2nd, uprade your HU.

Black
    2000 WS6 Trans Am

Thanks for the info, Guys!

Red
    1999 WS6 Trans Am

Mine does this occassionally. I plan on replacing mine soon, as it is the cassette player version with the cd changer in the rear.
    I think I'll just get one of those high tech kind that can accept USB. A 32GB thumb drive can hold crap loads of albums. I think I don't even want the CD option. It's antiquated technology anyhow.

Thread Information