Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: PlZ help

Navy Blue Metallic
    2001 WS-6 M6

Unhappy PlZ help

Newbie here had my NBM for like 5 days and i believe i already fucked her up think i blew a head gasket? its going tick tick now when i drive it or start her up. anyone PLZ tell me some knowledge to fix my baby. had a real bad bad night n i drove her to hard. kind of sounds like a knocking noise when i start her up. realized i fucked up so when it happened i drove her straight home four miles n parked her! anybody PLZ throw some knowlege way im devastasted!!!

Navy Blue Metallic
    `98 Formula M6 HdTp

Is it a knock or a tick/tap sound ?

Did you over rev the engine or miss a gear?
    Because it could be a broken/bent pushrod which is a relatively easy fix.
    Craig
    Semi Retired Street Racer
    2012 Lava Red Mustang GT Coupe Brembo/3.73's
    Build Date 3/17/11, Last Lava Red GT

Gone but not forgoten
    NBM `98 Formula M6 HdTp
    1 of 1 Build Date 3/12/98

Awaiting Activation

Pewter Metallic
    2002 Trans Am WS6 M6 D1SC

Can you tell if its coming from inside the engine or is it an external noise like an exhaust leak?

Black on Black
    2001 Trans Am WS6

Quote Originally Posted by 9T8W66 View Post

That's the first thing that entered my mind. If you over reved it then you might have bent a push rod.

If you blew a head gasket then wouldn't you find water in the oil. Oil being brown or a little frothy?

See if you can isolate the sound. See where it's coming from.

Shouldn't have to mention about taking it out on the TA. That's an expensive lesson.....

now greybat66

Red
    1998 trans am

if it were a head gasket you would see white smoke , it sounds like you bend a pushrod but by driving it you might have hurt the motor usually your computer makes the car run like shit so you wont hurt the car more than you allready have.Have the drivetrain checked but dont drive the car.

MRM
    2002 T/A M6

Most all of Ls1 have a knock. Some louder than others, and it usually is very alarming if you new to the scene. I've had my bird for almost 5 years and it comes and it goes. Just make sure you didn't miss a gear and over-rev. Then pushrod go bye-bye.

White
    1998 Trans Am

I dunno my buddy bought a 99Formy that had a knock and it blew up 2 days later. I'd get it checked maybe an easy fix to keep it running
    1998 Trans Am 85k miles.
    Bolt ons, MS3 113LSA cam, Circle D Stall, Tune, Modified WS6 style hood, Full Suspension, 6000k HID's, Clear Side Markers w/ Leds, Led 3rd Brake Light and 18" AR Staggered Killer Wheels w/ BFG KDW NT's.- Weekend Toy/DD
    02 Trailblazer -Sold
    09 Ram 1500 CC - Sold
    09 Cobalt SS/TC - Sold
    13 ram 1500 LoneStar CC 4x4 - Magnaflow, K&N,and more to come-DD/Toy

None

LS1's have there own sound... But not a real knock?
    Get it checked out, before it is to late!

I see Yello and I like it 02cetransam's Avatar

yellow
    02 Collector Trans Am

doesnt sound like a head gasket to me

Navy Blue Metallic
    2001 WS-6 M6

k im afraid i overeved her n didnt shift. drover her four miles to my house n parked her on the way home i noticed my oil pressure dropped to 20. also. after the burn out i noticed a tick tick so i knew i fucked up. when i start her up the tick ticks becoming like a knock. sounds like its knocking on cylinder 6. im fucking devastated. i really fucked her up bad. huh

Navy Blue Metallic
    2001 WS-6 M6

Unhappy

Quote Originally Posted by SOCAL WS6 View Post
    That's the first thing that entered my mind. If you over reved it then you might have bent a push rod.

If you blew a head gasket then wouldn't you find water in the oil. Oil being brown or a little frothy?

See if you can isolate the sound. See where it's coming from.

Shouldn't have to mention about taking it out on the TA. That's an expensive lesson.....
    believe i did over rev n bend a push rod. but oil pressures was at 20 on the way home so afraid i blew head gasket to. sounds like its knocking on like cylinder 6. no easy fix huh?

Navy Blue Metallic
    `98 Formula M6 HdTp

Quote Originally Posted by Smokaholik View Post
    believe i did over rev n bend a push rod. but oil pressures was at 20 on the way home so afraid i blew head gasket to. sounds like its knocking on like cylinder 6. no easy fix huh?
    First check your oil if t's milky looking, then there is coolant in it and you have problems. Probably a head gasket like said before.
    But if the oils good then pull the coil packs off and remove the valve covers.
    start on one side and remove the rockers so you can pull the push rods out.
    Inspect each one for gouges and bends (roll them on a piece of Glass or something very flat). If any are bent replace them all reinstall and see it that solves the problem. (please be sure to follow direction in a manual for correct torque sequence and keep the same rockers in the same positions)
    Personally I replaced all of mine and have had zero issues since, but I broke one in half and that was the bad ticking I heard. I've actually driven for a couple yrs on bent pushrods with no issues either since they never really made any noise until one finally broke on a 2nd gear powershift.

Arctic White, red/gray
    1997 Corvette, 92 Typhoon

First check your oil if t's milky looking, then there is coolant in it and you have problems. Probably a head gasket like said before.
    Inspect each one for gouges and bends (roll them on a piece of Glass or something very flat). If any are bent replace them all reinstall and see it that solves the problem. (please be sure to follow direction in a manual for correct torque sequence and keep the same rockers in the same positions)
    Personally I replaced all of mine and have had zero issues since, but I broke one in half and that was the bad ticking I heard. I've actually driven for a couple yrs on bent pushrods with no issues either since they never really made any noise until one finally broke on a 2nd gear powershift.
    How did you know that they were bent if they never made any noise?

Navy Blue Metallic
    2001 WS-6 M6

ya im pretty damn positive a pushrods bent cause you can easily hear it knocking around cylinder 6. Havent checked the oil yet but the oil pressures off its at 20. whys that? n i heard i could drive here like it is u jus have to bay here. is that true and how many miles you think i could get out of her.

Navy Blue Metallic
    2001 WS-6 M6

Quote Originally Posted by TempleU_WS6 View Post
    Can you tell if its coming from inside the engine or is it an external noise like an exhaust leak?
    def internal truely believe i bent a pushrod cause i can hear it knocking around cylinder 6.

Navy Blue Metallic
    2001 WS-6 M6

I did bend/break a pushrod bc i can tell by the knock but is that really a rellatively easy fix? i was told differently. and can i still drive it slow n not jus get on it or should i not even drive it until i fix here

RED
    2002 FORMULA

Judgement call, you could turn a minor fix into a disaster. might mean no car for awhile, but would be alot longer if you screw it up. Proably find someone to fix for about 500.00, or find someone on the board. Its up to you, I would park it. Not like you wonder if its screwed up, you know it is.

Black on Black
    2001 Trans Am WS6

I wouldn't drive it. You coud really mess it up and cost a lot more to fix than just a push rod replacement.

now greybat66

Red
    1998 trans am

i know for a fact you should not drive it. You could end up messing up your pistons and its not worth it also when you fix it you have to go over the whole valvetrain, make sure you change everything or it could happen again.

Navy Blue Metallic
    `98 Formula M6 HdTp

Quote Originally Posted by Zinergy View Post
    How did you know that they were bent if they never made any noise?
    I had blown a shift and afterwards when cold you could hear a ticking that would lessen to the point of being almost gone. I attribute the tick to the extra play in the Lifter before the oil flow pumped them up. like I said I actually drove the car a couple years this way but snapped a pushrod while powershifting onto the freeway.

Quote Originally Posted by Smokaholik View Post
    ya im pretty damn positive a pushrods bent cause you can easily hear it knocking around cylinder 6. Havent checked the oil yet but the oil pressures off its at 20. whys that? n i heard i could drive here like it is u jus have to bay here. is that true and how many miles you think i could get out of her.
    Idle pressure at 20psi isn't a problem (mine sits around 25 when hot) the question is what is the pressure at around 2-2500 rpm.
    I actually drove my car for 2 months with the broken pushrod. Used it for work only and kept the rpm below 2500 as much as possible. If you do have a broken pushrod like I suspect you'll need a pen magnet with a 5/16 size head to get down in lifter area to get the broken part out.

I would not drive it, your better off getting everything apart and going from there. Even if you replace the pushrods that doesn't mean it's fixed. Also make sure you change the oil minimum pressure is 6psi @ 1000 18psi @ 2000 and 24psi @ 4000.

Be smart, like I said just because I drove mine successfully doesn't mean you will.

Also for anyone concerned with the fact I drove on bent and a broken pushrods. The engine (and car for that matter) have been trouble free
    The pushrods were done with approx 93K on the clock, at 109K she dynoed 300 HP 322 TQ at the wheels with a lid and 3" Flowmaster SOTL catback.
    Car currently sits at 133k and still runs through the Original clutch.
    Last edited by 9T8W66; 06-15-2009 at 04:35 PM.

Thread Information