Black
    1999 Trans Am

Please Help...I Need Advice

Ok, I went to look at a car for sale that I saw advertised on the internet. It has a lot of mods that have been done to it and it looks like it is a pretty sweet deal. Here is the ad with the list of modifications. http://phoenix.craigslist.org/car/291750037.html
    The car does have 131k miles but had a warranty rebuild at 101k that I did see the documentation for. After looking at the car, I called and made an offer of $7000 and the guy accepted the offer and said he could do the deal on Monday (it was Saturday night and mvd was closed) On Monday we called him and he said he had to fly out of town for his job and would be back Thursday to do the deal. He also said he would lock the car in his friends garage. Anyway, on Tuesday, (yesterday) I drove by his house to find that he was still in town and that the car was still in his driveway...he never went on a business trip. Again, I drove by his house today to find that the car was up on jack stands with the bottom end of the engine torn apart. The front suspension was all dropped, the oil pan was off, and the crank shaft was out of the engine. I didn't seem like anything else had been done exept for the crankshaft having been removed.

My question is, what are any possible reasons he could have for taking the crankshaft out of the car after I have test drove it and essentially bought the car? Could he be trying to rip me off some how or could it be a legitimate problem he is trying to fix before I see it (his excuse being that he had to leave town when he noticed the problem needed to be fixed)

I also need advice as to whether I should follow up on Thursday whenever he "gets back in town" or whether I should just forget about the car and avoid this guy.

Pewter
    '07 Silverado

I would ask for a very good explanation, but I don't think you should buy it. He's most likely taking out some of the goodies to sell later or put in another project and putting stock or worn crap back in. Unless he has a stellar explanation for why he number one, lied to you, and number two, had the motor pulled apart, I would not go through with the deal.
    Just my $.02

Black
    1999 Trans Am

Do you have any idea what reason he could have for pulling the oil pan and crankshaft? I just can't think of anything of value that he would want to get before he sells the car that he would have to pull the crankshaft to get to. The only possible explanation that I can come up with is that there was a legitimate problem he noticed and wanted to fix before I saw it so he could sell the car. Do you have any other idea as to why he would pull the crankshaft?

Pewter
    '07 Silverado

If it he rebuilt it with forged internals... Ask him about it first and see what he says, but if he lied about going out of town to work on the car then who knows what else he didn't tell you. In general, I just wouldn't do business with someone who wasn't being straight up.

Really, if a car was sold and the deal was as good as done why would you be doing something as involved as removing the oil pan, etc.? Just raises a HUGE RED FLAG IMHO.

black
    1998 pontiac trans am

Quote Originally Posted by Rhinohuey View Post
    Do you have any idea what reason he could have for pulling the oil pan and crankshaft? I just can't think of anything of value that he would want to get before he sells the car that he would have to pull the crankshaft to get to. The only possible explanation that I can come up with is that there was a legitimate problem he noticed and wanted to fix before I saw it so he could sell the car. Do you have any other idea as to why he would pull the crankshaft?
    there can't be any legitimate reason in my opinion, if the motor was in fact rebuilt. i think he might have had to buy a crank during his rebuild which is expensive if bought brand new, not to mention other parts. in my opinion i think he is taking the good crank out and putting in the bad one, which he prolly spun a bearing on and planning on selling the new crank.
    when i'm ever leary of a buy, i walk away.
    Walk away man.

pewter
    2001 z28 lingenfelter 383

good call driving by his house......ill have to remember that one and yes dont buy a car from somone what dishonest......keep looking

White
    1999 30th Anniversary T/A

I'd find another car...

Blue 1997 Trans Am(Sold)
    Pewter 2001 Trans Am Vert

I definitely want to hear a follow up if you do go back to talk to this guy.

green
    98 formula

just write him a bad check for it I would at least drag it out a little have some fun with the guy if you have the time test drive it again but this time drive it like you stole it then walk away

Blog Entries

09 EclipseGT 75 Chevy 4x4
    2001 Trans-Am 13 F-XT

Sounds like a bad deal to me. Looks like his listing was removed by him too.

Thread Information