Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

plans for me

This is a discussion on plans for me within the Firebird / WS6 forums, part of the Vehicle Specific category; well heres the deal. i am building the ultimate daily driver car. I am definetley getting an F-body ls1 car ...

Trans Am owner
    former

plans for me

well heres the deal. i am building the ultimate daily driver car. I am definetley getting an F-body ls1 car next summer. I will be turning 17. Gas milage is an issue....kinda. i will have to pay for gas, insurance and upgrades outta my own pocket.

this is my first post here, so I hope you guys are pretty nice, and can help me out. i Know lots and lots about cars for my age, and love racing.

anyways, I am leaning towards the firebird over the camaro strictly for looks. i am heavy into performance, but honestly, it is just a hotter car. my mom really likes the WS6 hood, and so do I. I may be able to stretch out my money, and get one. my budget is probly $8,500 on the road. (has to be auto) my mom can't drive stick. she wants to drive it. (past mustang and corvette owner)

I already have some parts laid out. Black painted hooker long tube headers, Doug's Headers electric cutouts, and an FLP Y-pipe with cutout extensions.

what do you guys think of this? i also plan on doing this all at once, and installinga corsa catback on as well. i will do pretty much all of the installing myself, along with some friends, and already havea welder lined up. I plan on the taking the car to FLP, which is like 5 minutes away, and getting the wiring done professionally done.

also, i know this is a little long, but this car is gonna be stored outside, driven in rain, shine, and yes......the dreaded snow. i have a pickup truck with a really loose converter and an open diff in it. i know what crappy winter performance is like.

Black
    2014 Camaro 1LS

welcome to LS1...............buy a camaro

Red
    2001 ws6

well looks are an opinion, performace on the two are the same, not sure wut questions you want answered tho? welcome to the site!

IBM
    2006 Pontiac GTO

if money is an issue i suggest against a corsa your dishin out the extra $$$ for looks... you could get some bada$$ duals for the price of the corsa..but other mods sound on the right path except if your drivein in snow you might look into stainless steel headers that wont rust like QTP,Kooks,XS,OBX,American Racing etc

Arctic White
    2000/Trans Am

At 17 and you still have money left after gas and insurance,Damn you must have a good job.
    You should look into a pre-98 if you want to find a nice ws6 for 8500.

Impounded

79 T/A -91 Firebird
    1998 Trans Am -Oynx Black

I havent been on here for long but... try to stay not married and not a parent! I work over 50 hours a week and it all basically goes into my car! You can do so much with these cars! Look around and find what suits you! Welcome !!!

Trans Am owner
    former

yeah my question was am i going in the right direction with the exhaust?

ummm, the WS6 package isn't necessary, i just love that hood.

i am looking for a cat back system that is really quiet, and will not be a cop magnet at all. I can always be loud with the cutouts. somthing that sounds close to a flowmaster super 80 muffler. nice and mellow. don't wanna piss off the neighbors

o yeah the car has to be a 1999 or up. i heard the 98's had oiling problems.

Trans Am owner
    former

well hey hey, check it out flowmaster super 80, and catback system, and guess what else......a low low price.

http://www.lmperformance.com/2893/1.html

what do you think?

Red
    2001 ws6

Quote Originally Posted by nitrorustler41 View Post

i am looking for a cat back system that is really quiet, and will not be a cop magnet at all. I can always be loud with the cutouts. somthing that sounds close to a flowmaster super 80 muffler. nice and mellow. don't wanna piss off the neighbors

ya some people say there were some problems with the 98s, if you want a nice sounding mellow exhaust i would go with magnaflow, sounds great at WOT but mellow at idle and cruising, corsa has the best looking exhaust but for what you described magnaflow sounds to be your best choice.

Trans Am owner
    former

Quote Originally Posted by basballny2 View Post
    ya some people say there were some problems with the 98s, if you want a nice sounding mellow exhaust i would go with magnaflow, sounds great at WOT but mellow at idle and cruising, corsa has the best looking exhaust but for what you described magnaflow sounds to be your best choice.
    i jut noticed the American Thunder exhaust that somes with a flowmaster super 80 crossflow muffle. best part about this catback system is the price. a measly $350. i can make that in 2 weeks.

i also am now looking into pacesetter long tube quick trip headers. are they as good as the Hooker headers?

i am on the tightest budget, but am willing to spend a little more for the best stuff. any other Y-pipe suggestions?

Red
    2001 ws6

for the price pacesetters are good, however if i were you i would save a little longer and look into stainless steel headers such as kooks, QTP or ARH, they wont rust out on you in a year or so being this will be your daily driver.

Black | Black
    '07 Z06 | '98 WS6

Good choice on the TA. Try to find a 98+ Trans Am and just buy the WS6 hood after. WS6's are not worth the mark-up unless youre a car collector. It IS a hotter looking car, it was made to be. As for your first mod, I would go with weld-in subframe connectors first then lid, filter, catback. Wait on the headers because you will need a tune after that install. Unless you want to spend a grand on a catback I would pass on Corsa. Magnaflow is a great exhaust. Great price, quiet when you want it to be and badass at WOT. Then save for a Stall, best possible mod for an A4! Welcome and Good Luck!

Red
    2000 Camaro SS #3574 A4

I love my 80s series mufflers, some people complain that you don't get as much horsepower with them, but if you're getting cut-outs you shouldn't have any problems. I chose them for the sound, not too loud and great sounding. not to mention the muffler wont break the bank.

Trans Am owner
    former

Quote Originally Posted by CWW17 View Post
    Good choice on the TA. Try to find a 98+ Trans Am and just buy the WS6 hood after. WS6's are not worth the mark-up unless youre a car collector. It IS a hotter looking car, it was made to be. As for your first mod, I would go with weld-in subframe connectors first then lid, filter, catback. Wait on the headers because you will need a tune after that install. Unless you want to spend a grand on a catback I would pass on Corsa. Magnaflow is a great exhaust. Great price, quiet when you want it to be and badass at WOT. Then save for a Stall, best possible mod for an A4! Welcome and Good Luck!
    i probably wont put a stall in it till i get another daily driver car (diesel truck)
    thats not gonna be for a long time. yeah i like the American thunder system. its cheap, and sounds good. so my best bet is to get the catback first? then upgrade headers and cuouts at once. I think that sounds good.

if you put a cam in it, will it be harder to drive in bad road conditions, or would it really mellow out the bottom end. i am looking into cams as well. i want somthing with a pretty good idle.

any suggestions for a good auto cam?

Black | Black
    '07 Z06 | '98 WS6

You're spending ALOT of money before you get this car. A cam should be the least of your worries until you get the car. Do all the lesser supporting mods, then think about a cam. With a cam you'd want to do valve springs, pushrods, timing chain, oil pump, and a tune. Not to mention the price of install, you would be looking at thousands. You can get anywhere from 350-370rwhp simply from bolt-ons. I'd say go with those then see if you want to get into engine internals.

Trans Am owner
    former

thanks. my buddy is pushin 370 to the wheels with his lt1 firehawk. i wanna keep up with him.

the reason i can get these upgrades and spend more money is, instead of going to some big and expensive 4 year college, i am going to 2 years of a local vocational school ,then striaght into work. so instead of investing in all the money in education, they are gonna help me out with my dream car.

Red
    2000 Camaro SS #3574 A4

thanks. my buddy is pushin 370 to the wheels with his lt1 firehawk. i wanna keep up with him.

the reason i can get these upgrades and spend more money is, instead of going to some big and expensive 4 year college, i am going to 2 years of a local vocational school ,then striaght into work. so instead of investing in all the money in education, they are gonna help me out with my dream car.
    what kind of work?

Trans Am owner
    former

auto mechanic

i know better than to go to one of those crappy "wyotech" deals.

the place i am going is millions of times better.

Red
    2000 Camaro SS #3574 A4

auto mechanics do get paid well if they do their jobs well, so I say go for it if you think you can. I considered it myself, but I'm better with my brain than I am with my hands, so I'm a history major. gonna try and become a history teacher.

Pewter
    2001 GrandPrix GTP

I guarantee you that crappy Wyotech deal would sit you on your ass and teach you plenty of stuff in areas you think you already know plenty about. How do I know??? I was exactly like you. But I went to WyoTech and it blew my mind how much more there is to automotives beyond the basics.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information