Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

black
    1998 pontiac trans am

pics of my rebuild

her are a few pics of my rebuild.
    Last edited by rbrtlux; 04-08-2007 at 05:59 AM.

black
    1998 pontiac trans am

i have my motor in my bedroom. it has been too dang cold to work on it outside. i have hard wood floors so it's easy to roll around and i really didn't want any chance of rust building up on it while i didn't work on it. i pretty much done everything on my own. i dropped the motor out the bottom by myself. it was tricky but i did it. i had Race Engine Design of Rossville,Ga. inspect my block ( which only needed to be honed ) totally rebuild my heads ( had to replace 4 valves and one piston ) due to a spun rod bearing making the piston slap the valve stems. had them inspect a cam and crank i bought. evrything checked out good. i'm doing all the other work myself.

Pewter
    1999 Trans Am 5.7L

I remember when I had my engine out. It never sat in my bedroom, but it was definately out for a good 1-2 months. I shattered a pushrod and destroyed my head. (on the old engine and cam) Hope all goes well.

black
    1998 pontiac trans am

how'd you shatter a push rod? did you miss a gear? like instead of hitting 5th you hit 3rd?

black
    1998 pontiac trans am

some pics of my heads
    Last edited by rbrtlux; 04-08-2007 at 05:59 AM.

Pewter
    1999 Trans Am 5.7L

Quote Originally Posted by rbrtlux View Post
    how'd you shatter a push rod? did you miss a gear? like instead of hitting 5th you hit 3rd?

Was doing a burnout (when I really didnt know what the engine was capable of) and overreved it. Started hearing a ticking sound. Come to find out that I shattered a rod and tore up the head.

black
    1998 pontiac trans am

yeah i overreved mine too i think is why i spun a rod bearing. did you do all the work on it yourself? i'm gonna post this on the parts wanted forum but i was wanting to find someone that had the tubular K member and tubular A arms for sale cheap if i could find some. let me know if you know of anyone that has it.

Miss Pennsylvania ls1blackbeauty98's Avatar

'98 Black Gone :(
    01 WS6 Midnight Blue

Quote Originally Posted by jwindbigler View Post
    Was doing a burnout (when I really didnt know what the engine was capable of) and overreved it. Started hearing a ticking sound. Come to find out that I shattered a rod and tore up the head.
    ah that sucks!

nice rebuild.
    good luck with it, im pushing 108k miles, so a rebuild might be the route i take in the near future. i know if i take care of the motor she will last but im just planning ahead. i'm not looking forward to it if it ends up needing to be rebuilt.
    Last edited by ls1blackbeauty98; 02-28-2007 at 07:10 AM.

black
    1998 pontiac trans am

it wasn't too bad. i just read up on it. got a haynes book and just followed it. i've just been taking my time since i have a truck to drive. what part of Pa are you from? i'm originally from pittsburgh

01 WS6 Midnight Blue

Im from the suburbs of philly. i went to school out near pittsburg, Slippery Rock. im sure you've heard of it. i'd rather be in GA right now, its to damn cold up here.

Red Tint Jewelcoat
    2008 Trailblazer SS

I remember those days.

Any performance add-ons? Or just rebuilt to stock?

black
    1998 pontiac trans am

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Luos View Post
    I remember those days.

Any performance add-ons? Or just rebuilt to stock?
    just rebuilding to stock. i plan to give it to my daughter one day and it's plenty fast enough at stock for her. of course i want her to drive for a couple of years first before i just let her drive it by herself. i have a car dealer friend and he and i are looking to bid on a T/A and split the cost. he take what he needs which is the rear end and seats and i get the rest. so when that happens and i get done with this first rebuild, i will start on another rebuild project.

black
    1998 pontiac trans am

Quote Originally Posted by ls1blackbeauty98 View Post
    Im from the suburbs of philly. i went to school out near pittsburg, Slippery Rock. im sure you've heard of it. i'd rather be in GA right now, its to damn cold up here.
    yeah i heard of it. i grew up in glassport. about a 15 minute drive south of pittsburgh. i moved to ga. when i was 13. way back in 1983. damn.... i just realized i'm getting old LOL

01 WS6 Midnight Blue

haha aw that sucks. 36 isnt old!!!
    if i end up needing a rebuild i'll be looking at a stock rebuild as well. unless my crazy ass father drops a 502 in it. lol he's crazy.

Red
    1998 Pontiac Trans Am

yeah, speaking of shattered pushrods I had one snap in half, bent about 8 of them, and nearly snapped 2. So I know how you feel except I built up a new LS6 for mine with some go fast goodies

Pewter
    1999 Trans Am 5.7L

You can get the K members and control arms from ws6store.com. I highly recommend that site. Mention that you are part of this forum, and he will give you a discount. I have bought nearly all of my parts through him and have had no problems. Nearly $7000 worth in parts.

black
    1998 pontiac trans am

Quote Originally Posted by jwindbigler View Post
    You can get the K members and control arms from ws6store.com. I highly recommend that site. Mention that you are part of this forum, and he will give you a discount. I have bought nearly all of my parts through him and have had no problems. Nearly $7000 worth in parts.
    yeah i looked there. i just thought i might get lucky and find someone that don't need the K member they bought anymore. i got time to look around before i get to that point. i'll be ordering my head gasket kit and front and rear cover gasket kit tomorrow. and my ring kit. that will almost complete what i need for my motor. all i have left to buy is all new sensors and a water pump. at least the ones i can't get to easy with the motor in the car. and still need to order new struts and good rotors before i need the K member.

BLUE
    02TransAm

BMR sales a pack with upper,lower, and the k-member.

black
    1998 pontiac trans am

Quote Originally Posted by Magic WRAITH View Post
    BMR sales a pack with upper,lower, and the k-member.
    i seen theres today. i like it the most. the K member and A arms are just a bonus if i get them. not a have to have yet. my gaskets and all the sensors and struts are a must first. i'll prolly go with BMR when i get to that point

black
    1998 pontiac trans am

Quote Originally Posted by ls1blackbeauty98 View Post
    you wouldn't happen to know what the weather forecast is supposed to be the 16th and 17th and 18th? i plan to come up then to visit my bro and to get me some nookie by a childhood friend of my sister. i've ben coming up once a month to hook up with her..... oh and of course to see my family

Thread Information