Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 29

Pic needed *sensor behind Intake Manifold*

This is a discussion on Pic needed *sensor behind Intake Manifold* within the Firebird / WS6 forums, part of the Vehicle Specific category; I'm considering doing my LS1 to LS6 intake swap myself, i've read through the writeups ad nausium and the only ...

  1. #1
    NY Representative Vertiviper's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    New York
    Posts
    552

    Red
    99 Trans Am, M6

    Pic needed *sensor behind Intake Manifold*

    I'm considering doing my LS1 to LS6 intake swap myself, i've read through the writeups ad nausium and the only part that I hear is tricky is removing the sensor that is attached behind the manifold.

    Does anyone have a picture of the part so I now exactly what I would be dealing with so i'm not fishin around back there blindly?

    Thanks

  2. #2
    its short but its skinny. jiveass's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    The Woodlands/spring/houston
    Posts
    2,142

    pewter
    99 trans am

    are you talkin about the oil sending unit?..refer to this thread,...

    need help asap!!!

  3. #3
    King 0f n00bz shady milkman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Shepherd, Michigan
    Age
    29
    Posts
    11,775

    blacker than wesleysnipes
    98' trans am

    Quote Originally Posted by Vertiviper View Post
    I'm considering doing my LS1 to LS6 intake swap myself, i've read through the writeups ad nausium and the only part that I hear is tricky is removing the sensor that is attached behind the manifold.

    Does anyone have a picture of the part so I now exactly what I would be dealing with so i'm not fishin around back there blindly?

    Thanks
    you wont miss it..it is on the driver side...if you follow the brake booster line you will run right into it...here is a picture of my car .. see the sensor with the green top. sorry for the dirty valley ...this was pre ls6 valley install and before i cleaned it up.


  4. #4
    its short but its skinny. jiveass's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    The Woodlands/spring/houston
    Posts
    2,142

    pewter
    99 trans am

    im guessin i had the wrong sensor? lol..

  5. #5
    King 0f n00bz shady milkman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Shepherd, Michigan
    Age
    29
    Posts
    11,775

    blacker than wesleysnipes
    98' trans am

    Quote Originally Posted by needls1again View Post
    im guessin i had the wrong sensor? lol..

  6. #6
    Car Nut ICRAZY6's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Lacon, Illinois
    Posts
    404

    Black
    2002 Trans Am WS6

    Or maybe a MAP sensor? Simply pulls right out. Has a nipple with a rubber gasket on it.

  7. #7
    King 0f n00bz shady milkman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Shepherd, Michigan
    Age
    29
    Posts
    11,775

    blacker than wesleysnipes
    98' trans am

    Quote Originally Posted by ICRAZY6 View Post
    Or maybe a MAP sensor? Simply pulls right out. Has a nipple with a rubber gasket on it.
    i doubt it..i bet he is refering to the opsu as it is the one that usually gets busted

  8. #8
    Moderator Cutlass's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Madison, WI
    Posts
    6,998

    1999 Formula WS6 M6-sold
    2001 Silverado Z71

    heres the MAP sensor on the back of the intake

  9. #9
    expensive tires az gt eater's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    phoenix
    Posts
    1,951

    white
    04 2500 4x4 crew cab

    its pretty easy , just loosen all the bolts, and remove the ones you can. and pull it forward enough to spin it to the drivers side and unhook. mine didnt even have a hose clamp on it. p.s. wear gloves. the little plastic tabs under the windshield are razor sharp. youll look like you went two rounds with a bag of kittens.
    Quote Originally Posted by SiggyZ View Post
    Try roasting your crow. It'll be easier to get down.
    Quote Originally Posted by GTP231 View Post
    I like grilling mine with a nice brown sugar based rub

  10. #10
    NY Representative Vertiviper's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    New York
    Posts
    552

    Red
    99 Trans Am, M6

    Just making sure...there's no point in physically unplugging the opsu, or is there?

  11. #11
    NY Representative Vertiviper's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    New York
    Posts
    552

    Red
    99 Trans Am, M6

    The more i've been looking around online, it just looks like as long as you unplug the MAP sensor and the small vacuum line on the passenger side of the rear of the intake, then guide the brake booster vacuum line counterclockwise, and do NOT pull forwards..I should be ok.

  12. #12
    Member c5z28's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Bay Area
    Posts
    8,120

    On your ass flashing
    my highbeams

    ^technically you should be okay, every car is different one I got over the opsu another the clip faced the back of the manifold and there was no way I could unclip the damn thing because my hand just couldn't twist that way, w/ the wire going over the brake booster I couldn't get around braking it, although now I realize I could have cut sliced the brake booster line on the manifold to slide it off and then I probably could have saved the opsu. I have also used a opsu socket (from local car parts store) and placed it over the unplugged opsu) so if I did end up bumping it the socket would be protected. Here is another pic
    you can see that the tab on this opsu is facing away from the manifold so it is easier to unplug than the one I had to deal with.





  13. #13
    NY Representative Vertiviper's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    New York
    Posts
    552

    Red
    99 Trans Am, M6

    Quote Originally Posted by c5z28 View Post
    ^technically you should be okay, every car is different one I got over the opsu another the clip faced the back of the manifold and there was no way I could unclip the damn thing because my hand just couldn't twist that way, w/ the wire going over the brake booster I couldn't get around braking it, although now I realize I could have cut sliced the brake booster line on the manifold to slide it off and then I probably could have saved the opsu. I have also used a opsu socket (from local car parts store) and placed it over the unplugged opsu) so if I did end up bumping it the socket would be protected. Here is another pic
    you can see that the tab on this opsu is facing away from the manifold so it is easier to unplug than the one I had to deal with.




    Click for full size
    So you're saying unplug the opsu so that I can pull the brake booster line over the top, instead of having to fish it through?

  14. #14
    Member c5z28's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Bay Area
    Posts
    8,120

    On your ass flashing
    my highbeams

    Quote Originally Posted by Vertiviper View Post
    So you're saying unplug the opsu so that I can pull the brake booster line over the top, instead of having to fish it through?
    You could fish it through but when your hands are bruised and cut-up, and swollen it's a little hard. If you can fish it through do it, if you find you can unplug the opsu easy enough do that so you don't try and fit 1' of rubber hose through that tiny space..

  15. #15
    NY Representative Vertiviper's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    New York
    Posts
    552

    Red
    99 Trans Am, M6

    Quote Originally Posted by c5z28 View Post
    You could fish it through but when your hands are bruised and cut-up, and swollen it's a little hard. If you can fish it through do it, if you find you can unplug the opsu easy enough do that so you don't try and fit 1' of rubber hose through that tiny space..
    It's just a little clip, nothin fancy right?

  16. #16
    Member c5z28's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Bay Area
    Posts
    8,120

    On your ass flashing
    my highbeams

    Quote Originally Posted by Vertiviper View Post
    It's just a little clip, nothin fancy right?
    Yep but like I said depending on how far that opsu was turned varies where the clip is facing, take a second look at my pic and the one shady milkman posted you can see the grey tab is in fact facing two different directions, So now you know the angle of the clip can vary from car to car, in these two instances it was accessible (in one of my cases it wasn't, just depends how far the last guy turned it). All those clips have those rubber boots on em so they might give you some initial grief but talking dirty always helped me.
    So if you can unplug do it, if not fish it out

  17. #17
    NY Representative Vertiviper's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    New York
    Posts
    552

    Red
    99 Trans Am, M6

    Quote Originally Posted by c5z28 View Post
    Yep but like I said depending on how far that opsu was turned varies where the clip is facing, take a second look at my pic and the one shady milkman posted you can see the grey tab is in fact facing two different directions, So now you know the angle of the clip can vary from car to car, in these two instances it was accessible (in one of my cases it wasn't, just depends how far the last guy turned it). All those clips have those rubber boots on em so they might give you some initial grief but talking dirty always helped me.
    So if you can unplug do it, if not fish it out
    Thanks man, you cleared up a lot of guessing on my part.

  18. #18
    Member c5z28's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Bay Area
    Posts
    8,120

    On your ass flashing
    my highbeams

    Everyone wants the next guy to succeed on this sight
    2 more things, I don't recall if the how to says to unplug the fuel rail, I have never had to, after you take off the fuel rail from the manifold you can rotate it pretty freely and I usually spin it upside down and rest it toward the driver side (you'll see what I mean when you get the fuel rail off). Lastly when torquing down the manifold one of the injector(those 8 little electrical caps) found a resting spot in the head port (electrical cap was in the head and we tightened the manifold over the wire), we tightened the manifold down and realized what we had done after the fact (it was 1a.m) So we had to take it off and pull the little whore out. Just a little story to remind you to make sure you don't lose anything down there

  19. #19
    NY Representative Vertiviper's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    New York
    Posts
    552

    Red
    99 Trans Am, M6

    Quote Originally Posted by c5z28 View Post
    Everyone wants the next guy to succeed on this sight
    2 more things, I don't recall if the how to says to unplug the fuel rail, I have never had to, after you take off the fuel rail from the manifold you can rotate it pretty freely and I usually spin it upside down and rest it toward the driver side (you'll see what I mean when you get the fuel rail off). Lastly when torquing down the manifold one of the injector(those 8 little electrical caps) found a resting spot in the head port (electrical cap was in the head and we tightened the manifold over the wire), we tightened the manifold down and realized what we had done after the fact (it was 1a.m) So we had to take it off and pull the little whore out. Just a little story to remind you to make sure you don't lose anything down there
    lol..ouch, you didn't start the car did you?!

    Yea the fuel lines i'm gonna keep connected, there really is no need unless you want to transfer the injectors separately.

  20. #20
    Member c5z28's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Bay Area
    Posts
    8,120

    On your ass flashing
    my highbeams

    Quote Originally Posted by Vertiviper View Post
    lol..ouch, you didn't start the car did you?!

    Yea the fuel lines i'm gonna keep connected, there really is no need unless you want to transfer the injectors separately.
    Nope just after we put the manifold back in the next step was those plugs and what do you know the last one I go to plug in I can't find Although i'm sure I told my buddy it would sound like it had a cam if we just left it. Straight forward fix just a time confusing itty bitty mistake.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. o2 sensor eliminator needed
    By 2000slepper in forum General Help
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 03-18-2010, 08:21 PM
  2. LS6 intake manifold and 227 Intake runners
    By IT_SS in forum Internal Engine
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 07-07-2009, 03:11 PM
  3. Intake manifold
    By c5z28 in forum External Engine
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 05-27-2008, 06:10 PM
  4. MAF sensor needed
    By axcellclan in forum Parts Wanted / Trade
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 04-23-2007, 02:30 PM
  5. HELP NEEDED!!! Which o2 Sensor
    By Corey1987 in forum General Help
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 03-22-2007, 01:28 PM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •