Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Pesky "Skip Shift"

This is a discussion on Pesky "Skip Shift" within the Firebird / WS6 forums, part of the Vehicle Specific category; Originally Posted by DUBL0WS6 I think if you're above 10% on the throttle the skip shift disconnects. It's only active ...

Black
    99 Trans Am(sold)

Quote Originally Posted by DUBL0WS6 View Post
    I think if you're above 10% on the throttle the skip shift disconnects.
    It's only active between 1500 and 2500 rpms.

silver
    2002 ws6

Quote Originally Posted by zahn33 View Post
    With the diablo under the settings you want to turn off CAGs
    turned it off today. worked great. no more skip shift. this diablo has definately worth the money for me.

Orig Regist: 9/98

Black
    1998 Trans Am WS6 'Vert

Quote Originally Posted by NorthwoodDavid View Post
    so what if i just disconect it w/out the resistor? What does the resistor do?
    The resistor fools the PCM into thinking the solenoid is still connected. If the PCM detects an open circuit (disconnected w/ no ~20 ohm resistor in place) it will light the "Service-Engine-Soon" light. On my '94 (pre OBD-II???) the PCM apparently didn't check for an open solenoid because I never got a SES light.

Johnny B - '98 "Triple Black" WS6 Convert, M6, All Options, ASC #3030 (1 of 50)
    KBDDSFC, DGM C/F Tonneau, MTI C/F Lid, K&N, HPP-III, 160 T-stat, Pro 5.0
    Link to Firebird Production Breakdowns

Black
    1999 Trans-Am

Quote Originally Posted by JohnnyBs98WS6Rag View Post
    The resistor fools the PCM into thinking the solenoid is still connected. If the PCM detects an open circuit (disconnected w/ no ~20 ohm resistor in place) it will light the "Service-Engine-Soon" light. On my '94 (pre OBD-II???) the PCM apparently didn't check for an open solenoid because I never got a SES light.
    oh...well im still throwing codes like crazy from the headers so im going to disconnect it till i get a tune

Navy Blue Metallic
    2002 Camaro SS

About a week before I went to NC to pick up my car, I ordered the plug-in piece to disable the skip shift. 10 minutes after purchasing the car, mine was disabled. It literally only takes a minute to fix once you know where to look.
    2002 Camaro SS M6, 2.5 PRC 5.3L heads, TFS 228/230 cam, FAST 92, bolt ons + a 10 lb bottle in the back.

1989 Corvette L98, A4, Full bolt ons, etc.

Pewter
    2001 Trans Am WS-6

Last night on a leisurely drive into town, I was almost rear-ended by a guy in a mustang. I had just pulled out of my neighborhood onto a country road and in the middle of a forced skip-shift this mustang flew up out of nowhere. He was all over his brakes because I couldn't get my car to move quick enough. I could see him in the rearview but couldn't get into 2nd gear so I limped along in 4th. I ordered a skip-shift eliminator this morning from Adaptive Performance.

Black
    2000 WS6 6spd Hooker LT

Quote Originally Posted by ronnie tadlock View Post
    Last night on a leisurely drive into town, I was almost rear-ended by a guy in a mustang. I had just pulled out of my neighborhood onto a country road and in the middle of a forced skip-shift this mustang flew up out of nowhere. He was all over his brakes because I couldn't get my car to move quick enough. I could see him in the rearview but couldn't get into 2nd gear so I limped along in 4th. I ordered a skip-shift eliminator this morning from Adaptive Performance.
    There you go. That will fix that gas saving device!

Pewter
    2001 Trans Am WS-6

This car is more of a toy for me but I still hate to lose any gas mileage. I've seen quite a difference between when I'm having fun and when I'm conserving. I don't mind shifting from 1st to 3rd to 5th but I hate 1st to 4th.

silver
    2002 ws6

This car is more of a toy for me but I still hate to lose any gas mileage. I've seen quite a difference between when I'm having fun and when I'm conserving. I don't mind shifting from 1st to 3rd to 5th but I hate 1st to 4th.
    that's exactly what i do it's much better

Black
    2000 WS6 6spd Hooker LT

I use the 1st 3rd 5th thing at times too. I was thinking about that when I did a 1st 4th 6th today. That sequence doesn't happen a lot!

Awaiting Activation
    I have a 6-speed, but I am not sure what the problem is? Usually when the light comes on I skip to third.

Black
    2000 WS6 6spd Hooker LT

Quote Originally Posted by freddy_caprice View Post
    I have a 6-speed, but I am not sure what the problem is? Usually when the light comes on I skip to third.
    Then yours has already been disabled. You would not be able to shift into 3rd either, skip shift only allows you to go to 4th. It may allow 5th or 6th, but I would never do that at such a low speed.

Pewter
    2001 Trans Am WS-6

I've tried a few times to go into 3rd but skip-shift won't let it happen. I wound up getting mine into 5th while fumbling around trying to get it into 3rd. I may have just slowed down enough to kill the skip-shift but man it's a huge jump to go from 1st to 5th.

Black
    2000 WS6 6spd Hooker LT

I've tried a few times to go into 3rd but skip-shift won't let it happen. I wound up getting mine into 5th while fumbling around trying to get it into 3rd. I may have just slowed down enough to kill the skip-shift but man it's a huge jump to go from 1st to 5th.
    Right. The skip shift allows a 1-4 shift (or a 1-5 or 1-6) only. It is there for better MPG. It does sound like it either timed out or you slowed enough to allow the shift into 3rd.

BLACK
    2000 Camaro SS

Quote Originally Posted by Too Fast View Post
    Got my skip shift eliminator from SLP, what I like about doing it this way is the light will still come on when the PCM wants me to skip to 4th, but I have the option to do it or not.

Can anyone tell me, when you program it out with the Diablo or whatever else, will the light still come on when the PCM wants you to skip shift?
    If you adjust the PCM program to disable it, the light will not come on anymore.

Black
    2000 WS6 6spd Hooker LT

Quote Originally Posted by mbrownin View Post
    If you adjust the PCM program to disable it, the light will not come on anymore.
    Thanx. I always wondered about that. I don't mind seeing my light come on, it is only occaisionally on. Sometimes I do skip to 4th, depending on my mood.

Pewter
    2001 Trans Am WS-6

I installed my skip shift eliminator yesterday and love it. I got it from Adaptive Performance for only $12.50. The light still comes on but I hardly even notice it. Now my car truly is a manual shift.

Black
    2000 T/A WS6

The long skinny stick under your right foot, PUSH IT! problem solved. If you want 25+ mpg in town buy a Prius. But you can buy the skip shift eliminator from alot of places if it bothers you that much. Mine pisses me off sometimes but its not worth the 30 or 40 bucks to me. Just my 2 cents

black
    1999 pontiac T/A WS-6

My problem is in the rain with skip shift order one when I order my short through shifter from summit

Black
    2000 WS6 6spd Hooker LT

Quote Originally Posted by dr_ws6_00 View Post
    The long skinny stick under your right foot, PUSH IT! problem solved. If you want 25+ mpg in town buy a Prius. But you can buy the skip shift eliminator from alot of places if it bothers you that much. Mine pisses me off sometimes but its not worth the 30 or 40 bucks to me. Just my 2 cents
    The long skinny stick..........PUSH IT!

LOL!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread Information