Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Pewter
    2002 Firebird

performance parts

Hi I’m kind of new here. I have a 2002 AT TA WS6. It’s stock but I now want to start upgrading for more power. I was planning on simple stuffs like the SLP lid and k&N filter. I also want to change the exhaust. I was looking at both the Borla cat back and Hooker cat back, still haven’t decided which one to go for. My questions are should I be considering headers and an ORY at this time, I don’t want the car to be annoyingly loud where the neighbors are complaining. Also should I be getting SFC’s. I’m open for any other suggestions, the car is used for basic weekend fun I just want more kick to it.

Thanks for you help.

Chris

Black
    99 WS.6 - Modified

G'day and welcome. Sfcs are one of the first mods you should do. With the exhaust, there are many opinions on what people like. Check out some threads on here about different brands and try youtube to hear how they sound. A good exhaust will help with adding power, you could also look into a stall and gears and a good tune - check out Frost, he's a member on here who does mail order tunes - highly recommended.
    It's not how fast you can go. It's how fast you can get there.

Follow us at www.facebook.com/RGCustoms

Navy Blue Metallic
    `98 Formula M6 HdTp

SLP Lid - Yes, SFC are nice but not needed at near stock powerlevels so save the cash for something else first.
    Exhaust is subjective as everyone may like something different check here for different setups. http://www.ls1sounds.com/

A stall convertor will be your best bang for the buck in an auto.
    Craig
    Semi Retired Street Racer
    2012 Lava Red Mustang GT Coupe Brembo/3.73's
    Build Date 3/17/11, Last Lava Red GT

Gone but not forgoten
    NBM `98 Formula M6 HdTp
    1 of 1 Build Date 3/12/98

Pewter
    2002 Firebird

Thanks for the info. Should I go for the headers and ORY, or is a cat back system sufficient?

Black
    2000 WS6 Trans AM

my advice is going for the full exhaust, i had pacesetter lt's and loved it...there is a store on ebay called option racing they sell a stainless long tube that gets pretty good reviews on here if your on a budget

Quick Silver
    2002 Z06

Cat back is only worth doing if you NEVER intend on upgrading to LT's. If your going to go LT's then go that route right away. Thats just my opinion though, I don't like to re-do things and the gain from the catback is going to be minimal.

Definatly do the LID. K&N is really a waste unless you are on a budget and want to buy SOMETHING just to mod it.

Lots of people have a real bad opinon about the K&N. My only complaint is in order to circumvent the oil getting on the MAF you have to follow the instructions. Which require you to let the filter air dry etc and changing your air filter turns into a whole day event. I got tired of that and switched back to Paper.

SFC and a Strut Tower Brace will really change the feel of the car and help it feel more stable in turns.

Slow Passenger Window - Want Passenger Express Down - Tired of Replacing DayTime Running Light Bulbs

Camaro Owners Click Here
    Firebird Owners Click Here

Need instructions to replace your F-Body window motor?
    www.AutoTrix.net

It has a big wing!

I would do

Exhaust - You can go as simple as a cut-out which is very effective,cheap and if you don't like it or it's too much for you,you can just cap it and it will be just like stock again.Long tube headers get excellent results on these cars and as far as getting catalytic converters on your new Y pipe,that depends on your area's emissions laws or if you know of some "friendly" inspection stations.Ceramic or stainless headers (pacesetters are good and won't hit the budget too hard).

Choices on a catback are huuuuge and very close to eachother in performance.Price,sound,stainless or plain aluminum and style are your main considerations here.You may also hear alot of negative comments about Flowmaster but I still wonder about that because,nobody ever seems to have any evidence of a significant loss of HP.And at least in my opinion Flowmaster sounds really good.Gives you that classic deep muscle car sound. (Flame suit on!!!!)
    True duals is another option but are usually very loud,some go with magnaflow bullet mufflers to tame them down if you go that route.Most popular mufflers to use in a TD set up are dynomax bullets,sweet thunders,Flowmaster 1 chamber race,Borla XR1s...etc..

SFCs - I would do them because these cars flex alot! I have been in car that had SFCs installed and the difference in the feel of the car was enough to sell me on getting them.Car felt tighter,newer and steering response was much better...

Lid - Good choice because it does free up the intake a bit and in my opinion cleans up the under hood look alot.

And a stall - I don't know much about them but I have been in a car with one.Nice.Definately boosts the fun factor on an A4 (auto).

Above all! Read read read!!

Have fun and good luck on your choices!

Black
    1998 Trans Am

Here is what I have done so far to my 98 WS6: Magnaflow, pacesetter longtubes with pacesetter ORY, LS6 intake (you already have this), smooth bellow, SLP lid and K&N filter. The longtubes sound great and are not "too" loud as you stated that you were a bit worried about.

Pewter
    2002 Firebird

That for the info guys. I'll probably just do the cat back. I would need a catted y for emissions, so I don't know if it makes sense to do the headers also.

Red
    2001 ws6

Quote Originally Posted by theaction View Post
    That for the info guys. I'll probably just do the cat back. I would need a catted y for emissions, so I don't know if it makes sense to do the headers also.
    you can do long tubes and still keep the cats, the cats are in the y-pipe, where in the island are you? im in nassau and if u want to do no cats you can.....i dont got em

Custom Swirly Black
    2001 WS6 M6

Most searches will help with alot of questions, I found 2 for you that are very helpful.

Read this one first.

This one second.

Black & Blue
    '02 WS.6 / '07 Suburban

Mods on our '02 WS.6 went in this order: SFC's, catback, 12 bolt, LCA's, panhard, torque arm, drive shaft, headers, catted Y, mail order tune from Frost...

The SFC's and catback are both good to start the process.

Navy Blue Metallic
    98 T/A w/ mods, 00 FBVert

Quote Originally Posted by gnomee View Post
    Cat back is only worth doing if you NEVER intend on upgrading to LT's. If your going to go LT's then go that route right away. Thats just my opinion though, I don't like to re-do things and the gain from the catback is going to be minimal.

Definatly do the LID. K&N is really a waste unless you are on a budget and want to buy SOMETHING just to mod it.

Lots of people have a real bad opinon about the K&N. My only complaint is in order to circumvent the oil getting on the MAF you have to follow the instructions. Which require you to let the filter air dry etc and changing your air filter turns into a whole day event. I got tired of that and switched back to Paper.

SFC and a Strut Tower Brace will really change the feel of the car and help it feel more stable in turns.
    Not a power adder, but don't for get the window fix. It will save you window motors...
    Last edited by SMWS6TA; 03-23-2010 at 08:24 AM.
    http://www.ls1.com/forums/f7/my-6-liter-build-174257/

http://www.ls1.com/forums/f8/my-8-8-rear-build-165553/

6.0L Block - Forged 403ci , Polluter Stg3 Cam, FAST 102mm Intake, NW102 TB, MSD wires, NGK TR6 plugs, Truck Coil Packs, LS3 Fuel Injectors, CC Pacesetter LT Headers, TS&P ORY, QTP e-Cutout, Magnaflow Muffler, 104mm Air Lid & Line Lock, Catch Can, Stage 2 T56 w/Viper shaft, PRO 5.0 Shifter, Tick MC, SPEC Stg3+ Clutch, QT SFI BH, MWC DSL, Full UMI Performance Suspension, Belstein Shocks, Hotchkis Springs (1" Drop), YR1 Snowflake Wheels wrapped in NT555 tires & Custom Fab Ford 8.8 rear w/Wavetrac Diff 3.73 Yukon Gears, WSQ Hood, 3"CM Strange Eng Drive Shaft.

00 FB Vert - Stock

78 FB - Just getting started......

Horsepower never lies, but is often lied about!

Custom Swirly Black
    2001 WS6 M6

Quote Originally Posted by SMWS6TA View Post
    Not a power adder, but don't for get the window fix. It will save you window motors...
    +1. Power additions and money savers are always good to know.

Pewter
    2002 Firebird

Quote Originally Posted by basballny2 View Post
    you can do long tubes and still keep the cats, the cats are in the y-pipe, where in the island are you? im in nassau and if u want to do no cats you can.....i dont got em
    I'm in Nassau also.

Red
    2001 ws6

Quote Originally Posted by theaction View Post
    I'm in Nassau also.
    where at, im in williston park

Pewter
    2002 Firebird

Quote Originally Posted by basballny2 View Post
    where at, im in williston park
    farmingdale

Pewter
    2002 Firebird

Thanks everyone, I've been doing alot of reading here and there is so much information! Thanks for pointing me in the right directions.

Chris

White
    1998 Trans Am

1998 TA
    I started with a tune up fresh NGK's with MSD wires. While doing that I swapped the intake with a used LS6 off an 02 TA, P&P throttle body, and Volant Intake, ASP pulley set, 220 amp alt, optima red top and just welded a flowmaster into the stock location.

I wanted a ram air hood for better flow to the volant, so I got a aftermarket WS6 style for $250 and cut out all the crap behind the grills so the air feeds directly to the twin filters.
    Next round I did the LT's, ORY, and a SLP Power Flo catback( I liked the sound). Had the car tuned. Motor and had the A4 retuned to shift faster and run to 6100 rpm.
    Then had 3.73's installed with a rebuild kit since I chewed the factory 3.23's up.

last I did the KYB AGX's, UMI LCA's and panhard with new style BMR springs and a UMI Strut bar, and last was Spohn sway bars.
    1998 Trans Am 85k miles.
    Bolt ons, MS3 113LSA cam, Circle D Stall, Tune, Modified WS6 style hood, Full Suspension, 6000k HID's, Clear Side Markers w/ Leds, Led 3rd Brake Light and 18" AR Staggered Killer Wheels w/ BFG KDW NT's.- Weekend Toy/DD
    02 Trailblazer -Sold
    09 Ram 1500 CC - Sold
    09 Cobalt SS/TC - Sold
    13 ram 1500 LoneStar CC 4x4 - Magnaflow, K&N,and more to come-DD/Toy

Pewter
    2002 Firebird

Quote Originally Posted by RyanJM View Post
    1998 TA
    I started with a tune up fresh NGK's with MSD wires. While doing that I swapped the intake with a used LS6 off an 02 TA, P&P throttle body, and Volant Intake, ASP pulley set, 220 amp alt, optima red top and just welded a flowmaster into the stock location.

I wanted a ram air hood for better flow to the volant, so I got a aftermarket WS6 style for $250 and cut out all the crap behind the grills so the air feeds directly to the twin filters.
    Next round I did the LT's, ORY, and a SLP Power Flo catback( I liked the sound). Had the car tuned. Motor and had the A4 retuned to shift faster and run to 6100 rpm.
    Then had 3.73's installed with a rebuild kit since I chewed the factory 3.23's up.

last I did the KYB AGX's, UMI LCA's and panhard with new style BMR springs and a UMI Strut bar, and last was Spohn sway bars.

How do you like the volant intake?

Thread Information