Page 6 of 16 FirstFirst ... 2345678910 ... LastLast

The patient is ready

This is a discussion on The patient is ready within the Firebird / WS6 forums, part of the Vehicle Specific category; I'm still in a holding pattern. It's about 20 degrees up here, and my garage heater can't keep up. I ...

Red
    '68 Camaro RS, '11 Camaro

I'm still in a holding pattern. It's about 20 degrees up here, and my garage heater can't keep up. I have a nice layer of ice coating the whole floor.

Silver
    1999 Trans-Am Vert

Quote Originally Posted by MrKid View Post
    I'm still in a holding pattern. It's about 20 degrees up here, and my garage heater can't keep up. I have a nice layer of ice coating the whole floor.
    Excusses, Excusses...

Just Kidding, I'm going to jump on the Band Wagon and Subscribe.

Black
    2002 firebird T/A WS6-A4

sorry to hear about the weather, not gonna lie def glad im down in NC and not back home in NH right now.

Black soon to be red
    2000 Trans am Ws6

Bix Maxx heater

Good luck with the build...will be checking in often.Finally had a big maxx heater from northern tool installed in garage works great! I hear ya about the weather from MA.

Red

I have a heater installed, but i didn't get a chance to get the garage insulated before the tranny went and the car got parked. I wish I could of run a gas line to the garage for a bigger heater, but building code in my area is a pita. That's what caused a delay in the garage build to begin with.

sold: 1999 firebird
    1998 Trans Am

Quote Originally Posted by Joels1 View Post
    Good luck with the build...will be checking in often.Finally had a big maxx heater from northern tool installed in garage works great! I hear ya about the weather from MA.
    love the avatar

Super Moderator

Black & Blue
    '02 WS.6 / '07 Suburban

Quote Originally Posted by MrKid View Post
    I have a heater installed, but i didn't get a chance to get the garage insulated before the tranny went and the car got parked. I wish I could of run a gas line to the garage for a bigger heater, but building code in my area is a pita. That's what caused a delay in the garage build to begin with.
    Man up! Throw on some long johns and get at it. We'll all be driving our cars once the weather breaks and you'll still be working on yours.

Red

I manned up when I started stripping the block in December. Then I almost fell on my a$$ do to ice while carrying the transmission and called it quits. The weather is starting to break up here finally, so I should be back at it once I can roll the car into the driveway to make more room.

sold: 1999 firebird
    1998 Trans Am

i changed a tranny mount outside while it was 90 degrees and raining. sorry just wanted to be cool

Red

Okay, here's the deal. I'm in no hurry to get the car done, because I have 3 others I can drive. I would rather work in better weather when I know I'll focus and not take any shortcuts. I would hate to take $8000 in parts and smash them all together because I'm working in shitty weather. I've work on cars laying in the snow. I've work on cars when it was 110 degrees. But I had to, because that's when they broke down.

So there

Red

Okay...I'm back! The weather finally broke, and my floor thawed out. I stripped down the time end, and I got some very pleasant surprises. Fisrt of all I pulled the intake and cleaned out the normal rat's nest that these cars get, but overall it wasn't to bad.

I pulled the valve covers, and the the rockers still had nice movement and minimal wear. Almost considered putting them back in.

I pulled out the rockers, and unbelievably, not a single one was bent! Have no clue where the valve tick was from...

When I pulled the valley cover, I noticed some wear on the cam lobes that I could see through the drain holes.

Then I pulled the heads, and got the best surprise of all. The cylinders have no ridge and, as a matter of fact, still have the factory crosshatch!

So now, I think I may leave the bottom alone, and save the money for better vale train and induction options. One question, though. Shouldn't the gasket be open over the water jackets? I'm used to old small blocks, so this is new to me.

Last edited by MrKid; 03-01-2010 at 03:02 PM.

its short but its skinny. jiveass's Avatar

pewter
    99 trans am

it seems like it would be open. ive never taken apart ls1 or any gm engine made after 99, so i wouldnt know. but i bet someone here does.

Red

The pinhole opening is what I thought was weird. It seemed like it was drilled.

Navy Blue Metallic
    98 T/A w/a little mods...

you have one hell of a camera... great pics..

Red

Just got off the phone with Trevor at Texas Speed. I was going to go with LS6 2.5 heads and an MS4 cam, but the bigger valves would hit. I had to make a decision to pass on the big valves or the big cam, so I decided on an MS3 with the 2.5 heads. He said the horsepower differance should be no big deal, and I can still spin the engine up to almost 7k with a rev kit. In the mean time i be doing a port job on my oil pump while I impatiently wait for the parts

Red

Decided to do a quick porting job on the oil pump. Basically I just rounded off the edges on the exit port of the pump. If you look in the lower right, you can see it's a bit obstructed on a stock pump.

I took a stone bit and my die grinder and carefully blended the harsh edges out. This causes less distruption in the flow of oil to the engine. ALL your oil has to sueeze through here. It's ard to see in the picture, but it's the best I could do for now.

Black
    2002 Firehawk #812

I like what I see. Keep us updated.

2000 Camaro B4C

looking good, wish i had the time and $$ to seriously work on my car

Red

So the parts have started to roll in. I got my K member and upper arms yesterday. I was going to reuse the lowers, but after removing them, I relized I would need new rod ends. I decided to just get new ones and be done with it.
    I went with the UMI K member. Got free shippingIt's an amazing unit. No sharp edges, no weld slag, and no imperfections at all in the powder coat.

Today the headers showed up. I got the OBX's from eBay w/cats. I wasn't sure about these, but I figured for $700, it was worth it. I gotta say...they look awesome! Very nice welds, perfect bends, and no a scratch on them. They also came with gaskets and high quality band clamps. The whole package is great.

The only thing I'm waiting on for right now is the heads and cam(of course). Can't move on without them, so the waiting continues...again

Super Moderator

Black & Blue
    '02 WS.6 / '07 Suburban

Good to see the project in motion again. I have all UMI stuff on our car and have been very pleased with it. Minor fitment issue on the tunnel mount torque arm, but that was due to using an aftermarket driveshaft.

Page 6 of 16 FirstFirst ... 2345678910 ... LastLast

Thread Information