black
    01 ws6

Passenger t-top took flight!!

WTF!! I just got home from driving to work - everything was fine, hadn't taken my t-tops off since earlier in the day, and all of a sudden I heard a sucktion cup type sound and my T-Top was gone on the passenger side! I grabbed a hold of the driver side in case, but it was fine.... I just bought the car a month ago, and that sides KEY lock was kind of screwy would have to play with it to get the key in, but otherwise the handle locked tight.... I got a warranty w/ the car, would that be covered? WHo should I go to about this?? Thanks guys!

Detailing + Design third_shift|studios's Avatar

My life is a
    Ben Stiller movie.

welcome to my world-happened to both sides on mine 1 year apart. My insurance covered my tops each time for free b/c of KY insurance laws. Your insurance might not help, but see if they have a glass coverage clause first. It should be warrantied-and fight them on it b/c this is a common problem.

The problem comes from you and previous owners latching the tops down.What happens is when the pin extends from the t-top, it slides into holes on the A pilar and B pilar. Inside those holes are brackets that are screwed into the frame. Those screws can loosen over time when the t-top is set in place, then latched, b/c the pin pushes against the brackets [maneuvering itself into the bracket's grip, creating friction]. That friction overtime pushes those brackets away from the pins to the point that they aren't holding the t top down any more.

For the time being, masking tape a garbage back to it and/or keep in indoors. Good luck.

Black
    2002 Trans Am WS6

Yea has happened to me before too, scared the shit out of me cause it was the drivers side one. Got a new one for $20 from a friend.

Black
    1999 Trans Am WS6

I'm sorry to hear about that. That happened to a friend of mine as well. He bought a new one from a friend who happen to have a spare T-top laying around. Hopefully you can get a new one cheap or at no cost. Just hope no one was driving behind you when it flew off.

My life is a
    Ben Stiller movie.

i think ls1 has a sponser who is charging REDICULUS prices for t tops. definatly get a scrapper or something

pewter
    2000 TA WS6

Check ebay, maybe they found yours and are trying to sell it now. Shitty luck man, I hope that never happens to me. By the ws666, thats todays date. I wouldn't go anywhere if I were you!
    Last edited by joels1bird; 06-06-2006 at 01:14 PM.

1997 Formula & 2003 cobra
    damn, even if you dont use the key, you can still be able to lock with that handle.. wow, that would scare me a lot.. so did that t-top hit any other cars?

damn man!!

Dreaming of an LS1 senior gomez's Avatar

Teal
    91 teg (stock,notmodding)

Quote Originally Posted by joels1bird
    Check ebay, maybe they found yours and are trying to sell it now. Shitty luck man, I hope that never happens to me. By the ws666, thats todays date. I wouldn't go anywhere if I were you!

yeah it just happens to be my birthday which i turn 17

black
    01 ws6

Quote Originally Posted by joels1bird

Lol I wouldn't either.... hey i didn't think about it but that happened to me midnight which was... JUST TURNED 666 OH NO!!!

Sebring Silver
    2002 Camaro SS

Yea my friend had a toyota Supra with the targa top like a Vette has... We were rollin down 64 heading to the beach.. and wtf his targa top catches air rips it off of the car shoots in the air and slams it down to the ground right as a tractor trailor decides to be behind him and crushes it ...

His silly ass had just bought the car a month before and didnt lock the top down tight .. we fucked with him hard talking about well we didnt know supras came with free air conditiong as an option for a few months after that. haha
    http://i55.photobucket.com/albums/g154/illcul8troffcr/My%20SS/signaturew.jpg
    2002 Camaro SS #1539
    MTI Clear AirLid /Magnaflow catback/Polished Hotchkis Strut Tower Brace/K&N Filter/Bilstein Suspension/
    http://www.cardomain.com/ride/553601
    http://www.fquick.com/illcul8troffcr

black
    01 ws6

Well called all three, dealership, insurance, and warranty they all said it was not covered, but dealership asked me to give them a call back after I got a response from the insurance/warranty and he would try to work something out with me - he said he might be able to get me a used one... if he offers me one, what is the maximum price I should pay for it? Or should I make him pay it? Thanks

Black
    1998 Trans Am

As stated before, check ebay - I see them drop for CHEAP there all the time. Don't pay more than $125 for one from the dealer based on the prices I see on eBay.

I had a '80 Z28 that this happened too, but I suspect it was the fault of my buddy who SWORE he never touched the lever for the t-top. It flew offf on the freeway and another of my buddies that was following narrowly avoided hitting it.

One flew off before when I was driving because I forgot to latch it. I got lucky though and it landed on the grass unharmed.

My life is a
    Ben Stiller movie.

Quote Originally Posted by Szylmek
    One flew off before when I was driving because I forgot to latch it. I got lucky though and it landed on the grass unharmed.
    wow!

Ratdaddy07
    Amazing they ever make it. Had new tires put on and the guy loosened the tops to put it on the lift because he said they can crack otherwise if the car twists. His man forgot to lock the drivers side. I'm on a back road, come of the stop sign hard and when I get to about 80 I feel and hear this huge suction. I realize what happened and start watching my rear-veiw for the shattered glass. Never happens. So then I'm like what the hell did it land in a tree. Found it on lili's in the canal, un-harmed.

Red
    2002 WS6 Trans Am

I was showing the car to a couple of my students and I had the tops unlocked. One of the kids undid the latch and I did not know it. I was lucky, the top landed on the shoulder of the freeway unharmed.

My life is a
    Ben Stiller movie.

Quote Originally Posted by romulo13
    I was showing the car to a couple of my students and I had the tops unlocked. One of the kids undid the latch and I did not know it. I was lucky, the top landed on the shoulder of the freeway unharmed.
    i'd reserve showing off to potential-lays only after that one...not students

Black
    2000 Formula

I'd be cleaning my shorts if that happen to me LMAO
    I never heard of this before and i'm headed to the garage right now to check my brackets!

If a dealer gives you a price post it would ya...

My life is a
    Ben Stiller movie.

dealer price has to be near 500 per top.

Black
    02 WS6 M6

I lost both of mine about 2 years apart on the Z. Price new was over $700 in Germany per. Insurance covered it and I got a pair. One shattered and one was just scratched noticeably on top and bottom. I sold the scratched one to a guy who also shattered one for about $75 or $100 i think.

Thread Information