Thread: Paint Help!!!

Navy Blue
    1998 Trans-Am

Paint Help!!!

Hey guys!!! I need some help i've been lookin all over the net to find what paint i need to get for my new ws6 hood!!! I have the 1998 navy blue metallic trans am, and i'm just lookin for a little bit of help on what paint i need to get. Any suggestions,tips or ideas would be great because i'm gonna paint it myself... thanks again!!!

White
    1998 Trans Am

Quote Originally Posted by Catch22 View Post
    Hey guys!!! I need some help i've been lookin all over the net to find what paint i need to get for my new ws6 hood!!! I have the 1998 navy blue metallic trans am, and i'm just lookin for a little bit of help on what paint i need to get. Any suggestions,tips or ideas would be great because i'm gonna paint it myself... thanks again!!!
    Wll got to a paint store that sells either PPG or Dupont(doesn't really matter I use both). Get eith PPG Global BC or Deltron. if Dupont store is closer go with either chroma base or chroma premier. Make sure you buy the proper color primer sealer to put on the hood b4 the base coat. It coes from white to a very dark grey. 7 shades if you use dupont. Need that sealer to get the proper color match when you lay down the blue. You'll need to reduce the paint 1:1 so don't forget reducer.

As far as the clear coat use either Nason(dupont) spot panel clear or shopline(PPG). Get the proper temp activator depending on weather at the time of painting. Don't forget fish eye eliminator. Even though you don't need to reduce these clears I use 10% just to give it a smoother less orange peel finish and dries a little faster.

I just did my aftermarker WS6 hood a few months ago. I used Dupont VS1 white sealer,Arctic White Chroma base and Nason spot panel clear.

00 TA PWTR, 98 VertTA NBM
    80 TA BLK, 80 Formula NBM

Quote Originally Posted by RyanJM View Post
    Wll got to a paint store that sells either PPG or Dupont(doesn't really matter I use both). Get eith PPG Global BC or Deltron. if Dupont store is closer go with either chroma base or chroma premier. Make sure you buy the proper color primer sealer to put on the hood b4 the base coat. It coes from white to a very dark grey. 7 shades if you use dupont. Need that sealer to get the proper color match when you lay down the blue. You'll need to reduce the paint 1:1 so don't forget reducer.

As far as the clear coat use either Nason(dupont) spot panel clear or shopline(PPG). Get the proper temp activator depending on weather at the time of painting. Don't forget fish eye eliminator. Even though you don't need to reduce these clears I use 10% just to give it a smoother less orange peel finish and dries a little faster.

I just did my aftermarker WS6 hood a few months ago. I used Dupont VS1 white sealer,Arctic White Chroma base and Nason spot panel clear.
    all sounds right to me . . . i usually reduce the clear a little more than that tho, especially on a panel that will be layin horizontal. Also don't forget some sort of surface prep/cleaner.
    and if you haven't ever sprayed clear, i would recommend practicing a few times on some spair body panel or something. clear takes a few times to get used to because you either don't spray enough and itll be rough, or you spray too much and get runs.

Thread Information