Thread: paint

black
    02 trans am ws6

paint

man went to see about getting my car repainted today and i just about hit the floor 4200 bucs W T F and theres no body damage i thought i had to call 911 for i was about to get raped so maybe i will try it myself . not to sure, man paint shops fuck you over has any one tried to do it them self at home and how did it turn out

Black
    99 WS.6 - Modified

Sounds like a decent price to me. Depends on the quality of work they do. Would they be preparing the car to be painted? As in sanding, primer, paint, clear coats, ect? Kind of paint and color? How many coats of clear? Could be a fair price depending...
    It's not how fast you can go. It's how fast you can get there.

Follow us at www.facebook.com/RGCustoms

Black
    2000 Trans Am WS6

Yeah, from the research I have done, thats about normal price.

black
    02 trans am ws6

its staying black with 3 coats of clear

Black
    99 WS.6 - Modified

Black is the hardest color to paint. Takes the most time and prep to get it right. I wouldn't even attempt to do it at home. Not without a full professional setup at least - and that's something I don't have.... yet.

01 ws6 m6,78 macho t/a

ya, it's about the right price i paint for a living i push between 65-95 hours a week. Your not putting in account that about 1000-1500 is just for materials about 15-20 hours r&i for a body man at "depending on the area" 45-65 dollars an hour and about 20-25 hours for the painter at 55-75 and hour and thats with very little to no body work "dent's ect.". this is a rough est. depending where you live. if you plan on doing it at home GOOD LUCK. but is the worst color in the world to paint do to it shows everything. if you have little to no experience your going to end up spending 2000-2500 and it will never look as good and wont come with a warranty like a real shop will. You choose like everything in this life you pay for what you get!

Red
    '68 Camaro RS, '11 Camaro

That's a real good price. You have to figure individual panels get about $450-500 each for a re-spray in my area. Go out and count your body panels including bumpers
    When I re-paint mine, I'm going to bring it a bead blasting place in my town. Then I'll spray it myself at home. It will cost me about $2000 total to do myself.

midnight blue
    2000 Pontiac ram air ws-6

Do all your own prep and take it to macco. Something like $500 I could be wrong but I heard if you do all your prep they do a descent job of spraying

Blackshirt Member SactownHuskers's Avatar

Black
    2001 Trans Am WS6 M6

I was told 5000 to 6000 when I inquired about getting my '86 camaro redone. It had some rust and needed some repair though. I had the same reaction. What did I do? Said F that and waited. Now the guy's son I bought it from wants to buy it back....for more than I paid for it. Of course I put about 3500 into the motor (383 stroker, roller rockers, etc, etc.) In your position though i'm guessing you don't want to sell the car. So, save the money and find a friend (that knows what he's doing) that can help you prep it for a fraction of the price. You will save a ton of money and then the body shop should still offer you a warranty on the the paint job. (check with them first, they'll probably go over your prep work to make sure it's done right before they will guarantee their work)
    Half cocked, Full Throttle!
    2001 Black Trans Am WS6 M6
    1986 383 Stroker Red Chevrolet Camaro
    2006 Blue Kawasaki ZX6R 636

White
    1998 Trans Am

I have prices way too low at my shop and Black is the easiest in my opinion. I have a 2 bay shop and just wet the floors and close the doors. I use dupont, primer, sealer, paint, and clearcoat on the cars I paint. I installed a WW lip kit and swapped the RS spoler for a SS on a silver 2000 Camaro vert. and only charged him like $2500 and silver is more expensive than blk and easier to tiger stripe and have patchy spots. I've dove seveal Blk vette 1/4 panels, hoods and bumper alond with several TA hoods, doors, and fenders and they all came out perfect. I also include a full wet sand, buff, polish, and glaze on all my jobs. I'm going to raise my prices if people think $4000 is a good price. For a car with no damage I charge between $2000 and $2500 depending on color, Wing style TA or Formula. Also I charge extra for some hoods if there aftermarket and the 1st shop didn't prep it properly.
    1998 Trans Am 85k miles.
    Bolt ons, MS3 113LSA cam, Circle D Stall, Tune, Modified WS6 style hood, Full Suspension, 6000k HID's, Clear Side Markers w/ Leds, Led 3rd Brake Light and 18" AR Staggered Killer Wheels w/ BFG KDW NT's.- Weekend Toy/DD
    02 Trailblazer -Sold
    09 Ram 1500 CC - Sold
    09 Cobalt SS/TC - Sold
    13 ram 1500 LoneStar CC 4x4 - Magnaflow, K&N,and more to come-DD/Toy

Bright Red
    2001 Camaro

$3-grand in labor sounds high to me too but I'm not a painter.

White
    1998 Trans Am

Quote Originally Posted by knightryda01 View Post
    Do all your own prep and take it to macco. Something like $500 I could be wrong but I heard if you do all your prep they do a descent job of spraying
    I worked as a bodyman at Maaco an did some prep work when there was no bodywork that needed to be done. I quit after 2 weeks. I didn't like the way they do things. The prep guys doing the sanding and taping get minimum wage and they could barely speak English and had no real training. I opened my own small shop with just one bay because I have standards and Maaco is more about getting the cars in and out and screw proper prep work that's why the 1st time you pressure wash it the paint blows right off the bumpers 1st all you need is a small rock chip to get it started.

If you do your own prep almost any idiot with a paint booth can spray most colors like white, black, red, or blue. Silvers can be tiger stopes easy. Usually you'll find a run or sag in at least 1 or more panels. If you know how to wet sand and buff it's not too big of a deal unless it's like a 6 inch long sag or big run. There cheap though and use ok paint. Ppg shopline on there cheap jobs or deltron on the more expensive jobs. Depends what kind of job you want a great like new or better finish or just a ok dd paint job.

its short but its skinny. jiveass's Avatar

pewter
    99 trans am

Quote Originally Posted by RyanJM View Post
    I have prices way too low at my shop and Black is the easiest in my opinion. I have a 2 bay shop and just wet the floors and close the doors. I use dupont, primer, sealer, paint, and clearcoat on the cars I paint. I installed a WW lip kit and swapped the RS spoler for a SS on a silver 2000 Camaro vert. and only charged him like $2500 and silver is more expensive than blk and easier to tiger stripe and have patchy spots. I've dove seveal Blk vette 1/4 panels, hoods and bumper alond with several TA hoods, doors, and fenders and they all came out perfect. I also include a full wet sand, buff, polish, and glaze on all my jobs. I'm going to raise my prices if people think $4000 is a good price. For a car with no damage I charge between $2000 and $2500 depending on color, Wing style TA or Formula. Also I charge extra for some hoods if there aftermarket and the 1st shop didn't prep it properly.
    if this guy is quoting you $2000-$2500 to spray black, you might wanna look into it. Black, as i have always heard from my dad, is a pain in the ass cause it shows every little blemish and if you dont prep properly, youre gonna whip your own ass.

White
    1998 Trans Am

Quote Originally Posted by needls1again View Post
    if this guy is quoting you $2000-$2500 to spray black, you might wanna look into it. Black, as i have always heard from my dad, is a pain in the ass cause it shows every little blemish and if you dont prep properly, youre gonna whip your own ass.
    I spend alot of time on prep no matter what color I paint, redoing panels cost me time ans money so I like to make sure it's right the 1st time. Any dust or minor inperfections come out when I wet sand & buff the car.

I wish you were closer. I have to repaint my car and I don't want to screw with it. The paint is peeling. It had a repaint after a fender bender. The car was originally chameleon blue/green. It's now a bright blue metallic with blue flake in the clear. The guy that painted it did NO prep work. He didn't scuff any of the original paint, didn't spray any sealer or primer, didn't even use adhesion promoter on it. If I would have known this before hand, I would have never bought the car. Now I am gonna have to strip the car just to repaint, not something I am looking forward to.

its short but its skinny. jiveass's Avatar

pewter
    99 trans am

Quote Originally Posted by 97bluebird View Post
    I wish you were closer. I have to repaint my car and I don't want to screw with it. The paint is peeling. It had a repaint after a fender bender. The car was originally chameleon blue/green. It's now a bright blue metallic with blue flake in the clear. The guy that painted it did NO prep work. He didn't scuff any of the original paint, didn't spray any sealer or primer, didn't even use adhesion promoter on it. If I would have known this before hand, I would have never bought the car. Now I am gonna have to strip the car just to repaint, not something I am looking forward to.
    If no prep work was done, then that's gonna make a serious pain in the ass to repaint it. Gonna take major sanding, or just flat out scraping it to metal, which would be hard since most of the car is plastic.

That's why I don't want to mess with it. I have a friend that has a shop that we are gonna do it at, I will probably wait until the season is about over to do it though, I just want to enjoy my car this year, because it was down most of last year.

Red, Pewter
    03 cobra07 street glide

i believe my buddy went to our auto body shop and asked to get his mustang repainted???? don't know why but anyways he said around 4 45 to do the car in black. they did my dad's ultra classic in some kind of color with heavy metal flake in it me and my dad did about 75% of preparing the stuff for paint at the end of it all cost him over 1000 to do it and that's a good price cause he gave dad a deal cause there good friends. for my low rider had a dent a few dents in the tank and front fender was a little bent. we did some of the preparing and painted it candy apple red and cost me 500

White
    1998 Trans Am

Thread Information