Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Over revvved

This is a discussion on Over revvved within the Firebird / WS6 forums, part of the Vehicle Specific category; So let me get this straight, You where driving spirited and the shifter popped out all by itself under WOT ...

Navy Blue Metallic
    `98 Formula M6 HdTp

So let me get this straight, You where driving spirited and the shifter popped out all by itself under WOT ? And the engine instantly blew past the redline in Neutral before you could let out of it ?

Sounds more like you stuffed it in the wrong gear during a shift and mechanically overreved the engine locking up the drive tain and stalling the car at the same time.

I say this because in normal circumstances you can't pull the shifter out of gear under load and the ECM's rev limiter should have caught it in nuetral.

If you drive a manual trans car long enough you will blow a shift. It has happend to most of us including myself (although my car never stalled out).
    The least that happens is bent pushrods, Bent or broken valves/springs and collapsed lifters are other associated problems.

I got 7.4" with .080 wall thickness pushrods when I replaced mine. But be fore warned if you do it again with the new pushrods someting more catastrophic may occur.

Also to remedy the botched shifts look into a better shifter then stock.
    Craig
    Semi Retired Street Racer
    2012 Lava Red Mustang GT Coupe Brembo/3.73's
    Build Date 3/17/11, Last Lava Red GT

Gone but not forgoten
    NBM `98 Formula M6 HdTp
    1 of 1 Build Date 3/12/98

blue
    1999 trans am

Yes I kicked out when I was close to the redline and no I did not miss a gear my car randomly will POP out of gear sometimes its somthings in my transmission....and I really don't know why the rev limiter didn't kick in

Quote Originally Posted by unibuga View Post
    Yes I kicked out when I was close to the redline and no I did not miss a gear my car randomly will POP out of gear sometimes its somthings in my transmission....and I really don't know why the rev limiter didn't kick in
    well theres something up with your trans thats for sure...and you need to have the rev limiter checked

Silver 2002 WS.6
    Red 1989 Formula

any ideas for performance ones?
    Quote Originally Posted by BirdCountry02 View Post
    If your stock, and you plan on staying stock for a while you may want to just find used pushrods. Hopefully some of the mechanics can chime in, but I heard if you upgrade to chromoly's and don't have upgraded heads or internal parts if you ding past the redline again the strength of the chromely can mess up more in the valvetrain than if just replace for stock. I could be wrong and i'm not 100% positive, but check into it
    I was about to say exactly this. Go with stockers for replacement. I replaced mine with Trickflow pushrods but now I'm scared of ever going into redline again for some dumb reason and effin up something bigger.

Quote Originally Posted by silverWS.6 View Post
    I was about to say exactly this. Go with stockers for replacement. I replaced mine with Trickflow pushrods but now I'm scared of ever going into redline again for some dumb reason and effin up something bigger.
    you could fuck up your head just as EZ with the stock ones.....iv see people bend the rods and mess up the walls where the rod sides down

Arctic White, red/gray
    1997 Corvette, 92 Typhoon

Quote Originally Posted by Blackbird-WS6 View Post
    you could fuck up your head just as EZ with the stock ones.....iv see people bend the rods and mess up the walls where the rod sides down
    Agree, plus why have a performance car if you are afraid to get close to redline?

Quote Originally Posted by Zinergy View Post
    Agree, plus why have a performance car if you are afraid to get close to redline?
    true dat....i think he should be looking into WHY it came out of gear, thats the problem

blue
    1999 trans am

ok got it done it had a bent pushrod ...it sorta messed up the head but its not bad i just put a stock pushrod back in for now

i know my trans has some issues ive been saving some money to do the clutch and trans at the same time

should i just rebuild the stock trans or get a preformance one?

also im pretty hard on my cars ....im that guy that breaks unbreakable parts

ok got it done it had a bent pushrod ...it sorta messed up the head but its not bad i just put a stock pushrod back in for now

i know my trans has some issues ive been saving some money to do the clutch and trans at the same time

your taking the chance with those rods BUT its your car and it fucked up the head like i said it would lol

i would get a stage 2 rebuilt done and also upgrade the hydraulics with the new clutch

Ignition Orange/Black
    2008 G8 GT, 98 Z28 383

TICKshift has a cheap enough rebuild package. My car kicks out of gear once in a blue moon, only in third, and only at like 3-4K rpms. Fuckin weird. Im gonna rebuild my tranny as soo as I have the $$. Im not easy on my car either.

blue
    1999 trans am

Yeah mine kicks out of 4 randomly this what it did when it over reved .... I've looked at tick hydraulics they make a rebuild kit?

Also my mechanic is giving me his stock heads of his trans am when he gets back in town ...but the hole for the pushrod is barley messed up its not enough to cause problems

Ignition Orange/Black
    2008 G8 GT, 98 Z28 383

Yeah mine kicks out of 4 randomly this what it did when it over reved .... I've looked at tick hydraulics they make a rebuild kit?

Also my mechanic is giving me his stock heads of his trans am when he gets back in town ...but the hole for the pushrod is barley messed up its not enough to cause problems
    You gotta send em yur trans. It's like 1195$ for the stage 2 rebuild which is what I plan on gettin for mine. My car only does it in 3rd. I have close to 140K miles though, and Im making 425 RWHP so I expected some things to go wrong with it by now.

blue
    1999 trans am

Yeah same here I'm at 139k my cars not perfect but I try to keep it up

Ignition Orange/Black
    2008 G8 GT, 98 Z28 383

Yeah same here I'm at 139k my cars not perfect but I try to keep it up
    I hit 136K before I left to go overseas for a year. Gonna redo the rear end and Trans when I get home at least. Maybe more. I already miss driving it.

Seriously though, Tick has a good rep, if you want it done right with a warranty send your trans to them. Got a friend with their stage 2 rebuild and he loves it. They have done me right so far I've ordered a master cylinder and a slave cylinder from them. The master cylinder was fucked up and they sent me the part needed to fix it no questions asked when I called to bitch.

blue
    1999 trans am

Well that works ...yeah I've always heard good things about them I was just unaware of they rebuilt trannys but that price is pretty reasonable too ....my friend works at a transmission shop so pulling it is no problem

nbm
    99 camaro

you could also go to texas drivetrain performance. i know there rebuilds are cheaper and it would cut down on shipping depending how far you are away from them.

blue
    1999 trans am

Yeah true cuz I live close to Houston Texas

black
    2002 WS6

IF you do replace all the rods, may as well to the whole package while you are in there and do rockers and springs as well, or atleast springs.

I'm one of those well better safe then sorry kind of guys, and figure while I'm there why not. Comp cams is a safe bet, dad's been using them in his 72 chevelle for years.

Quote Originally Posted by Orcus79 View Post
    IF you do replace all the rods, may as well to the whole package while you are in there and do rockers and springs as well, or atleast springs.

I'm one of those well better safe then sorry kind of guys, and figure while I'm there why not. Comp cams is a safe bet, dad's been using them in his 72 chevelle for years.
    true dat sean....i think he went with stock rods tho....i would have done rods and springs without question

blue
    1999 trans am

Believe me I would have redone it all but I had to make all my bills this paycheck and I couldn't afford to have my car down till next paycheck...it will get redone soon

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread Information