Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Over revvved

This is a discussion on Over revvved within the Firebird / WS6 forums, part of the Vehicle Specific category; Its probably pushrods, get some chromoly upgrades, those can handle well over 7k rpms. Also take a look at you ...

Arctic White, red/gray
    1997 Corvette, 92 Typhoon

Its probably pushrods, get some chromoly upgrades, those can handle well over 7k rpms. Also take a look at you valve springs for any cracking. When my ls1 overreved I cracked 3.

blue
    1999 trans am

Do you know what size the pushrods are I saw some that were like 7.4"I just don't want to get the wrong ones and mess the motor up

Arctic White, red/gray
    1997 Corvette, 92 Typhoon

Quote Originally Posted by unibuga View Post
    Do you know what size the pushrods are I saw some that were like 7.4"I just don't want to get the wrong ones and mess the motor up
    7.4 is the correct length with stock rockers i believe. someone should confirm this as it has been 4 years since i pushrod shopped.

blue
    1999 trans am

Well that was on kyspeed under the ls1 section so I figured most likely they were right but I wanted to check on here....so chromoly is good just what brand are preferred should I get different rockers while I have the valve covers off?

black
    1998 trans am

7.4 are what it is most common used. After market heads will require longer or shorter one most likely.

Thanks,
    Mark

KYSpeed.com | FREE SHIPPING & HANDLING | PRICE MATCH | EMAIL

Kook's | American Racing Headers | Vararam | HallTech | Textralia | SPEC | McLeod | Raptor | Trick Flow | AFR | ECS
    | FAST | APS | TTi | Procharger | RPM Transmission | Comp | DMH | HP Tuners | PFADT | SLP | STS

yea my vote is pushrods....when your checking the rods, just check the head over like the springs and whatnot just to make sure everything is ok.....change the pushrods no matter if there bent or not

blue
    1999 trans am

Yeah I am ....also my friend just gave me a set of 1.7 rocker arms will they work? What's the difference in 1.6 and 1.7?

Yeah I am ....also my friend just gave me a set of 1.7 rocker arms will they work? What's the difference in 1.6 and 1.7?
    i think sock is 1.7 BUT if they aint broken then why replace then? unless there new lol

blue
    1999 trans am

I was just wonderin because they are fancy aluminum roller rocker arms

I was just wonderin because they are fancy aluminum roller rocker arms
    oh ok NOW thats a diff story lol....what brand are they? and make sure theres nothing wrong with then...is there a reason why he took them off?

NOTE- theres people making well over 500rwhp on the stock rockers

blue
    1999 trans am

There's nothing wrong them there extra ones for a race motor ......Idk what brand they are though but they are really thick

There's nothing wrong them there extra ones for a race motor ......Idk what brand they are though but they are really thick
    all aluminum rocker are thick....i know some brands have been failing lately and from what i head they dont like to be used a DD as in they dont like alot of miles AGAIN this is just stuff i heard so....i would find out what brand they are first

blue
    1999 trans am

Ok ill try to find out I was just wonderin if there would be an advantage to them ...BTW my car is a dd just for reference

Ok ill try to find out I was just wonderin if there would be an advantage to them ...BTW my car is a dd just for reference
    advantage is lighter valvetrain = less power loss and can spin more RPMs if the engine is built for that

if there a no name brand dont put them on....IMHO on a DD car i would run the stock ones BUT thats just my .02
    Last edited by Blackbird WS6; 10-29-2010 at 07:38 PM.

blue
    1999 trans am

Makes sense. I just don't wanna compromise my daily driver

Maple Red Metallic
    2002 Trans Am M6

If your stock, and you plan on staying stock for a while you may want to just find used pushrods. Hopefully some of the mechanics can chime in, but I heard if you upgrade to chromoly's and don't have upgraded heads or internal parts if you ding past the redline again the strength of the chromely can mess up more in the valvetrain than if just replace for stock. I could be wrong and i'm not 100% positive, but check into it

Quote Originally Posted by BirdCountry02 View Post
    If your stock, and you plan on staying stock for a while you may want to just find used pushrods. Hopefully some of the mechanics can chime in, but I heard if you upgrade to chromoly's and don't have upgraded heads or internal parts if you ding past the redline again the strength of the chromely can mess up more in the valvetrain than if just replace for stock. I could be wrong and i'm not 100% positive, but check into it
    either way you can mess up the head stock or upgraded pushrods when you hit those RPMs, the only thing you stopping is the bending of the rod...its the price you pay in this game

White
    1998 Trans Am

you can get a set of Manley chromoly 7.4 stock LS ones from ws6store for $99. I just got a set to go woth my patriot dual spring kit, ported oil pump, double roller chain and TSP MS3 cam. Rods were nice .
    1998 Trans Am 85k miles.
    Bolt ons, MS3 113LSA cam, Circle D Stall, Tune, Modified WS6 style hood, Full Suspension, 6000k HID's, Clear Side Markers w/ Leds, Led 3rd Brake Light and 18" AR Staggered Killer Wheels w/ BFG KDW NT's.- Weekend Toy/DD
    02 Trailblazer -Sold
    09 Ram 1500 CC - Sold
    09 Cobalt SS/TC - Sold
    13 ram 1500 LoneStar CC 4x4 - Magnaflow, K&N,and more to come-DD/Toy

ʢ ൧ ൨ ൩ ൪ ൫ ൬ ൭ ൮Ր Ց Ւ Փ Smittro's Avatar

White
    2008 Hummer H3

Quote Originally Posted by Blackbird-WS6 View Post
    either way you can mess up the head stock or upgraded pushrods when you hit those RPMs, the only thing you stopping is the bending of the rod...its the price you pay in this game
    That's an absolute.. Don't beat it if you don't want it to break or can't fix it.. Drive hard=pay 2 play...
    Last edited by Smittro; 10-29-2010 at 11:32 PM.

blue
    1999 trans am

Yeah this is the first time its gone over the redline ....but I'm gettin a new job where ill have about 2k a month just to spend on my car so hopefully after I get it ill build up more

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread Information