Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

over 140mph

This is a discussion on over 140mph within the Firebird / WS6 forums, part of the Vehicle Specific category; Originally Posted by SMWS6TA Yes Sir!!!! I miss Octoberfest.... the last oktoberfest i went to was in savannah, georgia......

This Light Dinner Is Over hamburger68's Avatar

Silver
    1998 Camaro Z28 A4

Quote Originally Posted by SMWS6TA View Post
    Yes Sir!!!!

I miss Octoberfest....
    the last oktoberfest i went to was in savannah, georgia...

Black
    2000 T/A Firehawk#610

Quote Originally Posted by clg82 View Post
    LOL i couldn't tell you how to fix it, but I would give my left nut to take my TA on the autobahn!!
    I second the left nut motion. We could donate a pair between the both of us.

Must be nice to be concerned about noise instead of cops.

Maple Red Metallic
    2002 Trans Am M6

Quote Originally Posted by SMWS6TA View Post
    Just enlist in the Army, with a guarantee assignment to Germany. You get to keep your body parts, get paid, and get to go to Germany for 2-3 yrs.

Disclaimer: you may also have to go to other places as well.......
    they won't let me. i tried and they shut me down. i can't rotate my arm a full 360 degrees. wouldn't pass meps. so i'll resort to my nut

This Light Dinner Is Over hamburger68's Avatar

Silver
    1998 Camaro Z28 A4

Quote Originally Posted by Twizz View Post
    Must be nice to be concerned about noise instead of cops.
    ...or to be concerned about surviving when some idiot swerves into your lane and you have to convince your car to slow down from 130 to 70 in no time without using the guard rail.

Navy Blue Metallic
    98 T/A w/a little mods...

Quote Originally Posted by BirdCountry02 View Post
    they won't let me. i tried and they shut me down. i can't rotate my arm a full 360 degrees. wouldn't pass meps. so i'll resort to my nut
    I guess you gotta do what ya gotta do.....

pewter
    99 vette

Quote Originally Posted by adamsoldier View Post
    ok my question is when i push the car over 140mph and up it is start getting to noisy and it is a lot of vibration. is that normal? or how i am going to stop that noise from the wind?
    last night i was racing on autobahn ( german highways no speed limit) with this audi and i beat him but i was so scare because i thought car is going to be explode from the wind. i hate that and i was only little over 150mph.(after 150 i watch my speed from gps)
    please let me know how am i going to stop that?
    Are you still running the stock ring and pinion in the rear end? If you have had it replaced and it wasn't installed correctly it can cause vibration and noise, mostly whining noises. I have seen this problem a lot with bad gear installs. It is also possible your driveshaft isn't balanced. I don't know if you have an aluminum driveshaft but they are a great investment and they cut back on vibration big time.

white
    1998 trans am

Quote Originally Posted by MachWon View Post
    Are you still running the stock ring and pinion in the rear end? If you have had it replaced and it wasn't installed correctly it can cause vibration and noise, mostly whining noises. I have seen this problem a lot with bad gear installs. It is also possible your driveshaft isn't balanced. I don't know if you have an aluminum driveshaft but they are a great investment and they cut back on vibration big time.
    woww you from bavaria same place i live right now. can you tell me what parts i have to get and from where?

Yo Da Lin The Valley..... astyles's Avatar

yea 145 feels very nice

pewter
    99 vette

woww you from bavaria same place i live right now. can you tell me what parts i have to get and from where?
    The firts step is to find the cause of the vibration, if you plan on modding your ride anyway, getting an aluminum driveshaft is not a bad idea, Also find out about the rear end to see if you still are running the factory gear. It is very possible you have a tire that is starting to separate. I ran into this same problem with a 5.0 I had before I got my vette. There was a really bad vibration at speeds over 100. Over here we get up to higher speeds a lot more often and for longer periods of time than we do in the states. So the chances of a tire going bad are increased! I wouldnt recommend driving at high speeds anymore until you do a good inspection of the tires. Even if the tire appears to "look" ok this doesn't mean crap. Mine also looked fine, but the belting inside was separating. Try running your hand over the tread along the whole circumfrence of the tire. See if you can feel any bulges or inconsistencies in the tread. I bought some sumitomos from tire rack and had them sent over here and it cured the vibration problem. Make sure you get Z rated tires at a minimum, W rated tires if you can find some and afford them, as they will hold up longer over time at higher speeds. BTW I'm stationed in the Vilseck and Grafenwoher area. Good luck.

Spice Red Metallic
    2006 Pontiac GTO

I haven't got mine above 145mph on I-65 and I haven't experienced any of these problems. Of course mine is a little newer, so it hasn't had the opportunity to age as much. Tires can be a problem. I had these really cheap tires called RiKen Raptors. they sounded like muddin tires when you approached normal interstate speeds and they were Z rated. Now I have Firestone Firehawk Wide Ovals and they are extremely quite, grip good, and they are only W (168mph) rated. Other than that weather striping...

Black
    2002 ws6 (6 speed)

mine feels like a go cart at 150.. solid as a rock only noisei can hear is my exhaust, no vibrations
    Last edited by Kaotic_ws6; 11-01-2009 at 04:50 PM.
    1999 mbm Z m6/ forged 346, lt's, wires, ls6 intake, sts rear turbo.

*SOLD*2002 black ws6- <Bolt ons, ls6 heads, mild cam, dyno tune, full susp. and 4.10s> --440rwhp/395rwtq

Sunset Orange Metalic
    2001 Camaro SS

150 here in a hardtop
    Not much vibration
    Windows come apart from the weatherstripping around 130
    But at 150 i could care less about the wind, more interested in cops

Pewter
    2001 formula

lol that is funny i thought you are a girl and i believe that girls dont have nuts !!!! am i wrong
    owned lol

Machine Silver
    05 Corvette

I had my TA vert to 150 plus with the top down, couldn't hear a thing with the wind noise but there was no vibration happening. Had it to 150 with the top up and it was smooth as silk.

Spice Red Metallic
    2006 Pontiac GTO

Quote Originally Posted by BirdCountry02 View Post
    lol well I'm sucked in and contracted by Uncle Sam.

Nice CAR! I used to have a Red Maple Metallic '02 T/A too! Then my first evening with it at the track a Cummins Turbo Diesel Dodge w/a tune made a pass right before me. He leaked anti freeze all over the track, but it was dark and track officials couldn't see it. I spun the 1rst 5 car lengths out hooked and carried on with my pass. when I shifted from 2nd-3rd around the 1/8th It pegged the rev limiter after I put it in 3rd and went around. I finished backwards at 13.9 sec @ 95 mph... then I decided to try to drive it out and it spun into the wall (ass-end first). No air bags deployed, but the insurance Co totalled it out. I was sad as it was the first T/A I had ever bought. Rare color too! most people don't know this, but its the rarest T/A @ only 3.8% made in '02.

Black
    2000 WS6 Trans AM

i've been to 140 then some bitch pulled out in front of me...150 feet of stopping distance+140mph=possible death and complete totaling of your T/A

Pewter
    2000 Pontiac Trans Am

Quote Originally Posted by 1998 T/A View Post
    i've been to 140 then some bitch pulled out in front of me...150 feet of stopping distance+140mph=possible death and complete totaling of your T/A

pfft. you have an airbag... youll be fine...

Red
    '68 Camaro RS, '11 Camaro

LOL

155 here...couldn't hear the wind over the Monsoon blasting Metallica's One

Black
    00 NHRA Formula

Quote Originally Posted by tatertot91 View Post
    But at 150 i could care less about the wind, more interested in cops
    eh at 150 no sense in even stopping for them

Sunset Orange Metalic
    2001 Camaro SS

Quote Originally Posted by MrKid View Post