Navy Blue
    2001 Trans Am Ram Air

Opinion On Headers for my 01 Ram Air

Just wondering if anyone has a suggestion on a full exhaust on my trans am? I would like to run no converters but dont know how and what to do with the O2 sensors? what is the best header for this car?

Black
    2001 Pontiac

There is no 'best', it's all a matter of opinion & application.
    Most people prefer 'long tubes'.
    You can remove the cats & use O2-Simulators, or simply have a tuner remoev the codes. "O2 Sims"
    There is an "Exhaust" forum. Most likely this thread will end up there, ...
    Read those forum threads for the answers you're looking for.

Pewter
    02SS6spd VERT!

You almost most definitely wanna go with long tubes. Not sure why anyone would bother buying any thing else. I especially wouldn't go through the trouble for the shorties. I think the best are kooks and qtp quick time performance. Most go with pacesetters because they're good and much much MUCH cheaper. I've got the pacesetters on mine and I really like them. When I get more cash I'll probably end up upgrading them to the kooks or qtp.

Gold
    2001 trans am ws6

i would agree pacesetter's for the money are the best out there and if your putting them in yourself they will be the easiest to install i just recently got them with magnaflow exhaust and its not loud but when you get up and go you'll love the sound i also went with the offroad y just get the sims thats the best thing to do

Navy Blue
    2001 Trans Am Ram Air

Is there any problem with running the stock cats gutted? Ive done it before on other cars Ive had and never had a problem..

Pewter
    02SS6spd VERT!

I'm sure gutting them will make it look to the naked eye like you've got cats but I'm sure it won't fool your computer. That's the only flaw I see in that

Navy Blue
    2001 Trans Am Ram Air

When you run an off road exhaust system w/ no cats at all what hapens to the O2 sensors. Maybe a dumb Q but im a little lost.

Pewter
    02SS6spd VERT!

HAHAHA you don't wanna know what I did with mine. I zip tied them to my transmission to keep them from touching anything. Some people get another hole in their ypipe to place them in and some people get o2simulators which fool your computer into thinking that it has cats.

White/Blue
    99 Trans Am

Why not just go with a system that has hi flo cats and all the plugs for the sensors ? I have dynatech longtubes and Y. It's expensive but all is there and nothing to worry about.

Pewter
    02SS6spd VERT!

because I'm in college and I'm broke and If I had the cash I'd get kooks or qtp and do the same setup you just said

black
    2002 TA WS7

qtp LT's ORY and GMMG cat back i ahve the GMMG catback now im savin for the rest

Pewter
    02SS6spd VERT!

My next mod after subframe connectors is GMMG! GMMG is the BEST valued catback for OUR cars! When I get the cash saved up I'm going down there and they're going to put it on my car. If you drive there they'll do the whole thing for $700, I'm like 1-1/2hrs away.

member since may 2000 nhraformula's Avatar

black
    2000 nhra edition formula

Quote Originally Posted by Jmiller View Post
    Just wondering if anyone has a suggestion on a full exhaust on my trans am? I would like to run no converters but dont know how and what to do with the O2 sensors? what is the best header for this car?
    pacesetters, orp threw a hooker exhaust.
    take it to an ls1 shop and they will take car of it for you.
    you might want to go into the local forums and ask fellow PA guys where its best to go
    2000 nhra edition formula
    a few bolt ons, 379 rwhp
    11.96 @113.25

Pewter
    1999 Trans Am 5.7L

I am not sure what the brand is, but theres a bunch of LT's on ebay that are pretty cheap. Here's a link to a set of pacesetters.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/PaceS...QQcmdZViewItem

All that you will need from there is a 12" and a 24" O2 sensor extensions. Hope this helps

black, 05 Roush
    black, 99 T/A WS.6

Ceramic coated Pacesetter LT's, TSP true dual exhaust (3" mandrel bent, xpipe, no cats, dumps before the axle with Sweet thunder mufflers) for me. Love em. Utilized Hp-tuner to turn off rear o2 sensors due to no cats for no codes to be thrown. Who ever tunes the car for you can easily turn off the rear o2 sensors so you wont get the SES light.
    1999 T/A WS6 Black -------SOLD
    05 mustang Roush sport;
    DOB manifold, m122 SC, 47lb injectors, gt500 TB, roush TVS CAI, Detroit rocker SC grind camshafts, Mac LTs, off road x, roush off road mufflers, roush short throw shifter, kenne bell BAP, Brenspeed 93 octane tune. 479rwhp 436ftlbs SAE.

Navy Blue
    2001 Trans Am Ram Air

Sweet!! Thanks for all the feedback!! After I get the exhaust in order Ill post a sound clip of it so all can hear.. LATER

SGM
    1998 Trans Am WS6

Quote Originally Posted by anniversary30 View Post
    Why not just go with a system that has hi flo cats and all the plugs for the sensors ? I have dynatech longtubes and Y. It's expensive but all is there and nothing to worry about.
    Because in most states you will still fail emmissions with that setup if they look under the car. The law says that modifying, removing, or changing the location of the stock catalytic converters in any way is prohibited. So even though you have cats, you would still fail emmissions here in NJ if they checked under the car.

Hence the reason I'm not going to bother with cats when I do my exhaust, because of they happen to check under the car, you'll fail either way. I'm planning on doing LT's with True Duals out the back, and either tuning out the O2's or getting O2 sims.

Thread Information