Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: open headers??

Mid Night Blue
    1999 Firebird 3.8 series

open headers??

Hey guys what does it mean when you have "open headers" on your ride? this guy i saw on youtube has open headers on his 3.8 and it honestly sounds kick ass. if you have your headers open wont it wear the valves down? im 16 so i dont know much about these things yet.

here's a link of one of the v6 camaro/firebird open headers...

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J9zS2WLOF4w&feature=related[/ame]

if someone could please explain to me how this is done and does this affect the motor. i own a 98 firebird v6 and the frame is bent but im still lookin for a body once i get the $$ to drop my engine in it. so once i do i would lovee this sound of open headers to my sixer what im thinking is they have the headers running all the way to the back with out a caty converter or exaughst. i have flowmasters 40 series and it sorta sounds like a ricer above 3rpms :/ thnx for yalls time

midnight blue
    2000 trans am

Open headers means their is no exhaust coming off the headers, no y or x pipe, which means its running with no cats or muffler. And some will argue that you will loose power because of no backpressure in your exhaust, others will say that you dont which is true I honestly dont know. But you would be better off getting a full exhaust with cutout's.

white
    1998 Trans Am

there is really no need to have open headers... when i had my 95 z28 after the motor and headers were installed before it went to the exhaust shop, i cranked it up... my god that was loud! not only loud, but i could only imagine driving that v8 maro with the sound and god aweful vibration it would cause directly under you... not to mention the fumes coming straight off the motor.. no need to have that at all.. i agree with previous comment... get a full exhaust... but in the end, its your car.. do as you want

midnight blue
    2000 trans am

Quote Originally Posted by ls1ws6ben View Post
    there is really no need to have open headers... when i had my 95 z28 after the motor and headers were installed before it went to the exhaust shop, i cranked it up... my god that was loud! not only loud, but i could only imagine driving that v8 maro with the sound and god aweful vibration it would cause directly under you... not to mention the fumes coming straight off the motor.. no need to have that at all.. i agree with previous comment... get a full exhaust... but in the end, its your car.. do as you want
    He has a v6 btw, and honestly its not that bad I had a buddy that had open headers on a 98Z, which had h/c/i and a conservative tune. It was just loud as fuck, and it back fired alot, but it really was a good thing to piss people off that had systems.

white
    1998 Trans Am

Quote Originally Posted by bluehawk2000 View Post
    He has a v6 btw, and honestly its not that bad I had a buddy that had open headers on a 98Z, which had h/c/i and a conservative tune. It was just loud as fuck, and it back fired alot, but it really was a good thing to piss people off that had systems.
    lol.. yeah that would work for that.. but around here, i wouldnt want to attract attention and constantly get tickets for the noise.. from the sound of the v6 in that youtube clip, it kinda sounds like a v8 with a full exhaust.. its really all just personal preference.. i mean he could run open headers afor awhile and see if he likes it... can always add the complete system at a later date

midnight blue
    2000 trans am

lol.. yeah that would work for that.. but around here, i wouldnt want to attract attention and constantly get tickets for the noise.. from the sound of the v6 in that youtube clip, it kinda sounds like a v8 with a full exhaust.. its really all just personal preference.. i mean he could run open headers afor awhile and see if he likes it... can always add the complete system at a later date
    Yea but whats the point when he can just get a full exhaust with electric cutouts, and have the best of both worlds. IMO I have a tsp x pipe with their LT and dynomax bullets.

white
    1998 Trans Am

point well taken... i havent got to my exhaust yet.... just got her 2 weeks ago.. been fixing small things first... next is my exhaust.. now with what you have said, and i have heard several people on here have them, how much do these cut outs run??? just may have to put some on mine

midnight blue
    2000 trans am

point well taken... i havent got to my exhaust yet.... just got her 2 weeks ago.. been fixing small things first... next is my exhaust.. now with what you have said, and i have heard several people on here have them, how much do these cut outs run??? just may have to put some on mine
    Honestly I have no idea how much it would cost to have one welded in when you do your exhaust, but if you get the electric one I am sure their going to charge a little extra for running the wiring. And I honestly still have my exhaust, sfc, sitting in boxs waiting to go on I just havent had the money to do them.

white
    1998 Trans Am

Honestly I have no idea how much it would cost to have one welded in when you do your exhaust, but if you get the electric one I am sure their going to charge a little extra for running the wiring. And I honestly still have my exhaust, sfc, sitting in boxs waiting to go on I just havent had the money to do them.
    right after i posted that, i looked on ebay and priced them and done some youtubing.. very nice sound.. but if you have the tsp set up with bullets, i mean that sounds damn good by its self.. are the cut outs just for show? it doesnt add any HP or tourque gain does it?

midnight blue
    2000 trans am

right after i posted that, i looked on ebay and priced them and done some youtubing.. very nice sound.. but if you have the tsp set up with bullets, i mean that sounds damn good by its self.. are the cut outs just for show? it doesnt add any HP or tourque gain does it?
    Yea cause when you open them up its like running open headers, they put them before the cats right after the headers so it opens the exhaust up alot more.

white
    1998 Trans Am

ok i see.. thats pretty cool for rush hour traffic..lol... but some of those prices for those were like $300.. not something i would want to put on right away.. i believe that can wait

midnight blue
    2000 trans am

ok i see.. thats pretty cool for rush hour traffic..lol... but some of those prices for those were like $300.. not something i would want to put on right away.. i believe that can wait
    Yea but if you going to go that route miswell do it the same time you do your exhaust save time, money. It is def good for pissing people off that is exceptionally true expecially when you drown out peoples systems, which pisses them of in turn you get a finger out the window

white
    1998 Trans Am

Yea but if you going to go that route miswell do it the same time you do your exhaust save time, money. It is def good for pissing people off that is exceptionally true expecially when you drown out peoples systems, which pisses them of in turn you get a finger out the window
    lol.. thats when you laugh and say catch me if you can!

midnight blue
    2000 trans am

lol.. thats when you laugh and say catch me if you can!
    Yea thats what happend lol, that actually happend when I was riding with my buddy in that 98z that run open headers.

white
    1998 Trans Am

Yea thats what happend lol, that actually happend when I was riding with my buddy in that 98z that run open headers.
    so im guessing yall went riding threw the mall parking lot and set off all the car alarms just for fun??? kinda like going down the toy isle at walmart and pressing all the toys and stuffed animals that make noise... lol.. great stuff

midnight blue
    2000 trans am

so im guessing yall went riding threw the mall parking lot and set off all the car alarms just for fun??? kinda like going down the toy isle at walmart and pressing all the toys and stuffed animals that make noise... lol.. great stuff
    Yea it was def capable of that I never did that with him, but we always had the mall cops get pissed at us, call the cops trying to get us in trouble.

white
    1998 Trans Am

Yea it was def capable of that I never did that with him, but we always had the mall cops get pissed at us, call the cops trying to get us in trouble.
    oh man im really starting to think about getting cut outs now! i would terrorize the mall here!

midnight blue
    2000 trans am

oh man im really starting to think about getting cut outs now! i would terrorize the mall here!
    Just be careful to forget to turn them off when around cops, cause I know here they are illegal for street use.

midnight blue
    2000 trans am

http://ls1.com/forums/showthread.php?t=149651

Check that out its cutouts in the camaro section!!

white
    1998 Trans Am

nice

Thread Information