Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

One mod

This is a discussion on One mod within the Firebird / WS6 forums, part of the Vehicle Specific category; IIRC Frost used to sell dual purpose units, meaning it has 2 processor/tunes. You can have one tune for say ...

Navy Blue Metallic
    98 T/A w/a little mods...

IIRC Frost used to sell dual purpose units, meaning it has 2 processor/tunes. You can have one tune for say N2O and flick a switch and have a stock tune on the other.
    However I don't see it listed anymore. Also he sells "spare" PCM's.

Only difference between the PCM's is the yrs not if it is WS6 or not. 97-98's had one type, then 99-00' had another and 01-02's had a different one.

Also in 99 GM added black boxes to record up to 5 seconds of data before a crash.

retune

What would a frost tune do if my car is stock? I have a feeling nothing. He has a check list for mods to be re-programmed, none of which I have.

Black
    79 Trans Am

Quote Originally Posted by johnfin View Post
    What would a frost tune do if my car is stock? I have a feeling nothing. He has a check list for mods to be re-programmed, none of which I have.
    I seem to recall High Performance Pontiac doing an article where they tuned a stock LS1 A4 and noticed a difference in performance. I could be wrong but I think they say a dyno improvement of 10whp

98 Formula
    06 duramax

there are some gains to be had even on a bone stock car......that being said I would get some mods before you get a tune. That's just my opinion. Do you have the starter stuff like lid, free mods, and things like that? If not do those for sure. I would look at doing some headers too and then getting the tune after those are done.

Sebring Silver
    2000 Trans Am

Sub frame connectors! You WILL feel a difference.

Navy Blue
    2002 Trans Am WS6 Conv

The mail order tune that Frost does made a huge difference on my car. Being an auto trans not only did the tune affect idle and throttle response but it made a huge difference in the shifting. Auto trans cars have a torque limitation programmed in from the factory to help protect the trans. The tune that Frost does dials this down quite a bit and changes the shift points and how firm they feel. Lets put it this way, when I got the computer back (3 days total round trip) and installed, I took my wife out for a ride. She noticed the difference immediately and didn't like it one bit. Mission accomplished!

2002 Trans Am WS6 - Red
    2013 Chevy Traverse LTZ

Quote Originally Posted by sjgreen6 View Post
    The mail order tune that Frost does made a huge difference on my car. Being an auto trans not only did the tune affect idle and throttle response but it made a huge difference in the shifting. Auto trans cars have a torque limitation programmed in from the factory to help protect the trans. The tune that Frost does dials this down quite a bit and changes the shift points and how firm they feel. Lets put it this way, when I got the computer back (3 days total round trip) and installed, I took my wife out for a ride. She noticed the difference immediately and didn't like it one bit. Mission accomplished!
    LOL.....my wife would do the same.

Super Moderator

Black & Blue
    '02 WS.6 / '07 Suburban

You can spend $89 on a lid and gain around 8-10 hp. A couple of hundred for a good catback exhaust and you'll add 10 more. Long tube headers will get you 20-25 with the catback in place at anywhere from $400 to $1,000. Add a $150 mail order tune to all this and you can pick up 15 more, plus take care of other issues and improve driveability. The higher stall torque converter, well it won't add horsepower, but it'll put the engine into the rev range where the power is... plus it is all sorts of fun to drive. (I see that you are a 6 speed, but wanted to include this last item for the A4's that might read this).

2002 Trans Am WS6 - Red
    2013 Chevy Traverse LTZ

Never had a stall converter until now and it's great.

BLACK
    1998 PONTIAC TA

Quote Originally Posted by initechpeter View Post
    Never had a stall converter until now and it's great.
    Stall conv will give you the most improved 1/4 times for a small price. Most see about a 1/2 second faster times in the 1/4. You also will not have to get a tune and drive ability will be unchanged. Not to mention the "seat of your pants" feel will be night and day. Best thing i ever did besides the cam.

98 Formula
    06 duramax

Quote Originally Posted by RONS98TA View Post
    Stall conv will give you the most improved 1/4 times for a small price. Most see about a 1/2 second faster times in the 1/4. You also will not have to get a tune and drive ability will be unchanged. Not to mention the "seat of your pants" feel will be night and day. Best thing i ever did besides the cam.
    not always the case.....depends on the stall. A lot of times you will have to move the shift points some or you'll bang the limiter, misfire counts may need to be desensitized or turned off to keep it from randomly unlocking, and the idle may need to be bumped up a tad to keep it from stalling when putting into gear.

Super Moderator

Black & Blue
    '02 WS.6 / '07 Suburban

^^

BLACK
    1998 PONTIAC TA

Quote Originally Posted by 0rion View Post
    not always the case.....depends on the stall. A lot of times you will have to move the shift points some or you'll bang the limiter, misfire counts may need to be desensitized or turned off to keep it from randomly unlocking, and the idle may need to be bumped up a tad to keep it from stalling when putting into gear.
    Doesn't a stall conv actually let the trans sorta slip and rev higher from a stop and NOT cause the engine to idle lower from a stop? As you leave from a stop the engine will rev higher then stock. How high it revs is actually how much of a stall you get.

Silver & Blue
    02 Camaro SS, 04 GTO

Send your PCM to Frost. The best 150.00 you will ever spend
    My ride is a 2002 Camaro SS SLP #3296 with 30k, LTH, 3" Y, CME, Frost tune, K&N, ported TB, Blackwing lid, Bellows, MSD, Denso Iridium, and 85mm MAF, Bilsteins, Eibach springs, SLP strut brace, Adj. Panhard, TA Girdle, UMI, Pro 5.0, Nitto NT555
    My wife has a 2004 GTO with the rare SAP, 18" wheels, K&N Cold Air System, MSD, Ported TB, Frost tune, Denso Iridium, Flowmaster cat-back, 3200 Yank, 75k

BLACK
    1998 PONTIAC TA

Quote Originally Posted by 2002ssslp View Post
    Send your PCM to Frost. The best 150.00 you will ever spend
    That's where I sent mine via mail order and I agree 100% that frost is the man. He solved some trans shifting problems I had and made the car a whole different beast. I never would've thought a "mail order" tune would work that good. I meet him in person for a dyno tune and he is a really cool, very knowledgeable guy.

As far as tuning a bone stock car goes, I did that with my 02 SS. In completely stock form it ran 13.72 at 102 mph on it's best pass. I flashed in the custom tune that I had already worked on and the car went 13.40 at 104 mph on the same day.

So there is some gain to be had. Just going by the mph I roughly gained a solid 15-20 hp.

Very worthwhile in my opinion, but I bought the tuning software for many other reasons, knowing I'd own more than one LS powered vehicle was one reason, and I also wanted the diagnostic abilities for troubleshooting. If you do all the free mods (should be a list of that around here somewhere) along with a Frost tune, you will notice a real "seat of the paint" difference.

However if you don't feel you want to invest in tuning software and have to pay for tuning while you own the car, you may want to get some major mods out of the way first and get the tuning done all in one shot.

But lets be honest, no one stops here You may as well accept the fact that this will steam roll into major mods in the quest for more power, so you may as well just dive in and do it all
    Last edited by Firebirdjones; 01-31-2013 at 07:48 AM.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information